Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

2020 Olympics 44 USA Finalists

Think there are three issues: roster construction, style of play, roster familiarity.

High end talent is not an issue but having some actual big men is. The two big lineup France out out there in the 3rd quarter swing the game. I like Bam as a 5 in the NBA but heís a 4 in FIBA basketball. He was getting abused by Porier and Gobert on the boards. Outside of McGee, USA has no other size. The lack of quality American big men is actually quite alarming. Also, having some more grinder type guys in the mold of Draymond (maybe like a Smart etc) could help too.

Style of play is also an issue. The rest of the world plays with FIBA rules all the time and as a result the style of play is much different. It is more of a half court game and much more physical (with less fouls). The USA was reduced to a jump shooting team today. They rarely attacked. Itís as almost they were surprised they didnít get calls when trying to get to hoop. NBA rules and all the Pave n Space stuff have made these guys soft I think. The game has changed so much over the last 20 years. The rest of the world is much better prepared at this point to play this style while the US basketball (NBA, AAU) keeps going in a different direction stylistically.

Third issue is roster familiarity. A lot of the other countries have played together a lot more than USA guys. Team USA is a mismosh of high end talent that has never played together. Some of the teams like Australia/France/Spain has had their teams playing together since the youth level. All the players know each other and how to play together. Basketball is at a point where team USA just canít out talent everyone anymore and think that might be more an indictment on basketball development and Team USA than it is the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PAOboston; 07-25-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Joe Vardon is reporting some of the players were gripping about having to run the San Antonio offense... I'm not sure Pop is the best coach for a collection of All-Stars such a team USA.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Joe Vardon is reporting some of the players were gripping about having to run the San Antonio offense... I'm not sure Pop is the best coach for a collection of All-Stars such a team USA.
    They have no guys that can play the Duncan and TP role. No two way stud like Kawhi either. All the spurs guys knew how to be role players and play good off the ball and as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    They have no guys that can play the Duncan and TP role. No two way stud like Kawhi either. All the spurs guys knew how to be role players and play good off the ball and as a team.
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PAOboston View Post
    Think there are three issues: roster construction, style of play, roster familiarity.

High end talent is not an issue but having some actual big men is. The two big lineup France out out there in the 3rd quarter swing the game. I like Bam as a 5 in the NBA but heís a 4 in FIBA basketball. He was getting abused by Porier and Gobert on the boards. Outside of McGee, USA has no other size. The lack of quality American big men is actually quite alarming. Also, having some more grinder type guys in the mold of Draymond (maybe like a Smart etc) could help too.

Style of play is also an issue. The rest of the world plays with FIBA rules all the time and as a result the style of play is much different. It is more of a half court game and much more physical (with less fouls). The USA was reduced to a jump shooting team today. They rarely attacked. Itís as almost they were surprised they didnít get calls when trying to get to hoop. NBA rules and all the Pave n Space stuff have made these guys soft I think. The game has changed so much over the last 20 years. The rest of the world is much better prepared at this point to play this style while the US basketball (NBA, AAU) keeps going in a different direction stylistically.

Third issue is roster familiarity. A lot of the other countries have played together a lot more than USA guys. Team USA is a mismosh of high end talent that has never played together. Some of the teams like Australia/France/Spain has had their teams playing together since the youth level. All the players know each other and how to play together. Basketball is at a point where team USA just canít out talent everyone anymore and think that might be more an indictment on basketball development and Team USA than it is the players.

Another thing, is just the international talent level is much higer, countries particularly the former Yugo countries are doing a really great job churning out talent.

I was talking to my friend the other day, and told him that the NBA might be played in the US but it's a Euro league.
    All the best players right now are Euro's Gobert, Giannis, Joker, Luca that's not to say that there isn't elite American talent too, but there was never this much Elite Euro talent ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Add healthy Lebron and AD and problem solved this is a 20 pt blowout. AD owns Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Another thing, is just the international talent level is much higer, countries particularly the former Yugo countries are doing a really great job churning out talent.

I was talking to my friend the other day, and told him that the NBA might be played in the US but it's a Euro league.
    All the best players right now are Euro's Gobert, Giannis, Joker, Luca that's not to say that there isn't elite American talent too, but there was never this much Elite Euro talent ever.
    The USA team is a (current laker stars) away from dominating the olympics. You add Bron/AD/Harden/Leonard and this instantly becomes a blood bath. Unfortunately all those guys are injured and it wouldnít be possible anyway so...

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    The USA team is a (current laker stars) away from dominating the olympics. You add Bron/AD/Harden/Leonard and this instantly becomes a blood bath. Unfortunately all those guys are injured and it wouldnít be possible anyway so...
    Those guys would win all the games they donít play in

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

The USA clearly has the strongest overall pool of talent, there's no question, but the best players right now are Euro's. They're just far more spread out.

Very good point

Some of those guys are injured now but they also didnít commit either at any point to leading up. Do t think any of them had any interest in going to Tokyo or representing USA.

European basketball player production is not superior these days than before.
    If anything, it's lesser than the late 90s to mid 2000s 'golden generation'. There's less star players, though sure we sprouted a Doncic who is a once in a generation talent, but he's more like the heir of Drazen Petrovic than a league of his own. And Drazen had guys like Sabonis, Galis, Schmidt and Kukoc as fellow international rivals and you still had guys like Dino Radja (I reckon Jokic is on that level), Vlade Divac, Marciulionis, Fanis Christodoulou, Volkov, San Epifanio etc.

Same with the 90s-00s era where the best European NBA players were those who wouldn't have been options in top Euroleague teams such as Nowitzki, Tony Parker etc due to the roster building rules and scouting required. Eventually if they remained in Europe they'd be spotted of course, but they left too early and they came from countries where you don't traditionally search for basketball players when you're a Spanish, Italian, Greek, Russian, Serbian or Turkish team.

What has changed is that no one stays in Europe anymore and the US talent is regressing. NBA hype is rising so you wouldn't notice this, but from the outside it's blatantly obvious that the gap is actually widening between USA based basketball and European. The gap was the closest ever in the mid 2000s to early 2010s. And that included guys like Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Garnett , Melo, Howard, Wade, Bosh etc in their prime...

Pampered basketball is what kills the American team's chances, not talent. Way too soft for actual basketball which is what people all over the world have been complaining about for 15 years now...
    Last edited by NYKalltheway; 07-27-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Watching the 3x3 event, and man could the US kill in this. You got 12 second shot checks, it's a bunch of weave picks and movement. So you need 4 guys (you get a sub) who are quick, make fast decisions, move the ball. It's basically 2 guards and a PF on the court.

Steph Curry
    Devin Booker
    Karl Anthony-Towns
    With Jaylen Brown on the bench would kill in this event.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Watching the 3x3 event, and man could the US kill in this. You got 12 second shot checks, it's a bunch of weave picks and movement. So you need 4 guys (you get a sub) who are quick, make fast decisions, move the ball. It's basically 2 guards and a PF on the court.

Steph Curry
    Devin Booker
    Karl Anthony-Towns
    With Jaylen Brown on the bench would kill in this event.
    We didn't even qualify bc we sent Robbie freaking Hummel with 3 other old washed failed NBA dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    We didn't even qualify bc we sent Robbie freaking Hummel with 3 other old washed failed NBA dudes.
    Yea. I bet it was a Big3 lineup. lol

This is a great way to get maybe a national development team then. Go to players that are good, but not NBA good. Pay them enough to be comfortable, and teach them to play just this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast