Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Stop ****in' with the game!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's those Phillies and Mets fans that always troll me with the "evolve or die" moniker?

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

while no team's entire season should ride on a one game playoff and I've always hated that idea, making a spectacle of and allowing teams to choose their opponent has to be THE dumbest idea I've ever seen a league actually say publicly...I mean, by a lot
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I fully agree with what Bauer has to say about this:

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/stat...41863394263040

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Yeah, I have said for years when people bring up expanding the playoffs that giving a team a bye is a terrible idea. Baseball is different than football. Too much time off is actually a bad thing and kills their momentum. I also hate how 14 out of the 30 teams make the playoffs. That is what is bad about NBA and NHL playoffs, half the teams make it in. 14 is way too many.

Let's make everybody happy

Add two expansion teams, make each league 16 teams, with 4 divisions, with 4 teams. Balanced schedule so you see every team in the other league for a 3 game series, and then every team in your league not in your division for 2, 3 game series' a year, and you play the three teams in your division a total of 14 games each (that's 162 games)

If you win your division, you automatically make the playoffs. As do the two teams with the best records in baseball that didn't win their division (total 12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs - playoffs are seeded). The top 2 teams in each league get a 'bye', and the 4 teams who didn't get a 'bye' play each other (seeded format so the 3 seed plays the 6, the 4 plays the 5) in a best of 3 that starts the day after the first off day of the seasons end (after game 163 in case necessary). Those 3 games happen on consecutive days, then the series with the 'byes' starts that next day possible (punishing the winning team of the wild card series, but keeping the bye teams on normal rest for their front starters).

I.e.

Season ends on a Sunday
    Monday is off day in case a game 163 is necessary (if a 164 is necessary it happens Tuesday morning)
    Tuesday is Game 1 of Wild Card
    Wednesday is Game 2 of Wild Card (top seed hosts Games 1 and 2)
    Thursday is Game 3 of Wild Card
    Friday is Game 1 of Next Series
    Saturday is Game 2 of Next Series
    Sunday is Game 3 of Next Series
    Monday is Game 4 of Next Series
    Tuesday is Game 5 of Next Series
    Wednesday is Game 6 of Next Series
    Thursday is Game 7 of Next Series
    Friday is Off-day
    Saturday is Game 1 of Championships Series
    etc

The only off days are between the Wild Card and Championship Series and the Championship Series and the World Series, that's it.

There are more playoff games, but they are played on consecutive days. More teams are in, but the 'byes' actually have a benefit. If you want more time off between series, win the series in less possible games.

Because of travel, it would remain 2-3-2 for the best 7, and the Wild Card would go 2-1 or 1-2

That is a potential of 24 playoff games, but in 27 total days, and a total of 29 days after Game 162. So if the season ended on Sept 30th, Game 7 of the World Series would be October 29th.

I'd be a big fan, there are more playoff games, byes actually have a value, two more teams are added, we keep 162 games. And they continue to play everyday, so your teams depth will actually matter in the playoffs, and you can't win with a great bullpen only.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 02-11-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Last edited by Rush; 02-12-2020 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Embedded tweet

Would be nice to see seeded teams, as someone mentioned you could have a team with a worse record advance directly to the postseason while the other has a one-game WC with a better record.

Aside from that I always though it'd be nice to see a best of 3 between the WC and DS, a best of 5 for the CS, and best of seven for the WS.

I feel like going from 1 to 5 and then back to back with a best of 7 is a little odd.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

MLB doesn't need to do a whole lot of gimmicks to make the league more accessible. What they need to do is try to fix the issues with tanking teams (through modifications to service time and team control), fix the constant issues that come up with teams/players trying to gain an unfair advantage (whether PEDs, sign stealing, etc) but most importantly, market the players! They do a terrible job of marketing the players and it shows compared to the other major sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    MLB doesn't need to do a whole lot of gimmicks to make the league more accessible. What they need to do is try to fix the issues with tanking teams (through modifications to service time and team control), fix the constant issues that come up with teams/players trying to gain an unfair advantage (whether PEDs, sign stealing, etc) but most importantly, market the players! They do a terrible job of marketing the players and it shows compared to the other major sports.
    100% the last part. I bet if you polled 100 non baseball fans a bunch of them wouldn't know Mike Trout.
    Yet if you poll a bunch of non NBA fans, everyone would know who LeBron James is
    Last edited by goingfor28; 02-13-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    100% the last part. I bet if you polled 100 non baseball fans a bunch of them wouldn't know Mike Trout.
    Yet if you poll a bunch of mom NBA fans, everyone would know who LeBron James is
    They've got the whole BAM company, and yet they are woefully behind everyone else distributing content and highlights.

/cue Trevor Bauer

Bauer murdering it right there

28-man rosters in September is a bit extreme. I think something like 32 would be more ideal. Teams need to get some feel for up -and-coming players, especially if they are already eliminated from postseason contention or have already clinched. But yes, 40-man rosters were too much.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post

Stop ****in' with the game!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's those Phillies and Mets fans that always troll me with the "evolve or die" moniker?
    i mean its true... stop ****ing with the game will equate to baseball dying off like everything else that has not evolved... we all love our teams but how many of us watch multiple games daily from other teams? dont lie or bs... the sport needs to evolve... it cant just sit here and stay the same because old fat white guys want the sport to be what it was 90 years ago...

good **** baseball try everything even if it fails :claps:

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    28-man rosters in September is a bit extreme. I think something like 32 would be more ideal. Teams need to get some feel for up -and-coming players, especially if they are already eliminated from postseason contention or have already clinched. But yes, 40-man rosters were too much.
    Except most of the bottom level teams aren't using the whole roster. Most of the teams using the whole number available are teams who were competing for playoff spots, or already had them locked up.

Using my Orioles as an example, they called up six guys, but waited a couple days after the window opened in which to do so. None of the guys except Evan Phillips could really be called a prospect anymore- https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/20...layers-roster/

Even going back to 2018, the Orioles struggled through the end of the year pitching-wise because some late injuries happened and they had already sent home all of the guys stretched out in AA and AAA, so they didn't use the roster space then either.

The bottom line is that the lower level teams weren't using this for the most part, and competing teams were really taking advantage of it to stack their bullpen and defensive replacements.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast