Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    reddit as well : )

oh and i knew my thoughts would get destroyed because mlb fans are really close minded and hate any type of change... baseball is the slowest and least evolving sport in the world and it will end up hurting them in the long run.

I am not for this type of playoff change but drastic changes should be made and it shouldnt take 30 years to decide what is good or bad for the sport... again we are still trying to add the DH to both conferences in a single league sport. Yes I know AL/NL but its MLB... it shouldnt take forever to decide give none or both the dh and yet here we are still trying to figure this thing out
    Your "change for the sake of change" is actually, impressively, more thoughtless than the reflexive purist position.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMeNot View Post
    Your "change for the sake of change" is actually, impressively, more thoughtless than the reflexive purist position.
    Itís like we have to accept all changes or we are considered stuck in time. Sorry, but some changes just blow.

I hated the Wild Card when it first came out as it ruined the end of the year race. I cannot think of the year, but there was one time the Yankees and Red Sox were in first & second and the Red Sox had a big lead in the WC. Instead of battling until the end for the division title, they both coasted to the end, setting up their rotation when there could have been an amazing race like there was in Ď93 between the Braves and Giants.

I realized it was here to stay, but still didnít like it. Then they added the additional team, ultimately creating a 163rd game every year. Itís now actually exciting and I like it.

Adding these other teams is going ruin how the game is played. Who in the hell picks their own opponent? Then you have the momentum that players in baseball need. Youíve seen it with Colorado Rockies that one year they swept the Diamondbacks in Ď07 only to be swept by the Red Sox by the Red Sox who had a longer LCS.

This isnít football where the players need rest to recover.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 02-17-2020 at 12:19 PM.

The only aspect I like is making the wild card round a series not one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    The only aspect I like is making the wild card round a series not one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They donít deserve more than one game. They had all season to prove they deserve an opportunity to win the World Series.

Besides, it only stretches out the playoffs into the ridiculous cold of November and allows the better teams to get cold.

It also takes away the excitement that only an one & done game can bring.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    They donít deserve more than one game. They had all season to prove they deserve an opportunity to win the World Series.

Besides, it only stretches out the playoffs into the ridiculous cold of November and allows the better teams to get cold.

It also takes away the excitement that only an one & done game can bring.
    97 win and 96 win teams shouldn't have to come down to one game (2019 Rays and A's). The Yankees had nine more wins and the A's had six more wins than the Indians the year before, yet the Indians get a five games series because they played in a weak division forcing those two teams, better teams, to play in a do or die game. Usually those win totals result in division championships.

That's what I don't like about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    97 win and 96 win teams shouldn't have to come down to one game (2019 Rays and A's). The Yankees had nine more wins and the A's had six more wins than the Indians the year before, yet the Indians get a five games series because they played in a weak division forcing those two teams, better teams, to play in a do or die game. Usually those win totals result in division championships.

That's what I don't like about it.
    I hate to say this, get rid of the divisions then. Youíll only see people complaining how certain leagues have it easier. See what NBA fans have been complaining about regarding Eastern and Western Conferences.

Are you going to cut regular season games or do you have no problem playing baseball with possible snow outs? November, where itís so cold the pitchers can barely get a grip on the ball.

How are the better teams going to keep their timing down with as much as 5-6 games off?

I hate to say this, get rid of the divisions then. Youíll only see people complaining how certain leagues have it easier. See what NBA fans have been complaining about regarding Eastern and Western Conferences.

Are you going to cut regular season games or do you have no problem playing baseball with possible snow outs? November, where itís so cold the pitchers can barely get a grip on the ball.

How are the better teams going to keep their timing down with as much as 5-6 games off?
    Potentially cut one week of regular season games by starting the season one week later. That's about five or six games less. Could even cut just three games as the Wild Card Series would only be a three game home series for the better team.

Keep divisions. Divisions will still get you a spot in the Postseason. Once the season ends, seed everyone by record.

This is just thinking aloud. There's obviously some cons to this as well.

What do NBA fans say? I honestly don't know.

Potentially cut one week of regular season games by starting the season one week later. That's about five or six games less. Could even cut just three games as the Wild Card Series would only be a three game home series for the better team.

Keep divisions. Divisions will still get you a spot in the Postseason. Once the season ends, seed everyone by record.

Iím not sure how much it is right now, NBA fans have been complaining for years upon years that the West is so much better than the East. They were even saying on what felt like a yearly basis the Western Conference Final was a battle of the two best teams in the NBA rather than the NBA Finals themselves.

The 1st rd of the NBA Playoffs is pointless imo. There is absolutely no reason 16 out of 30 teams should qualify for postseason play. Even worse is the NBA always ends up with at least one .500 or sub .500 team who gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    The 1st rd of the NBA Playoffs is pointless imo. There is absolutely no reason 16 out of 30 teams should qualify for postseason play. Even worse is the NBA always ends up with at least one .500 or sub .500 team who gets in.
    +1 but include the NHL too. I donít understand how more than half the teams in a league should get in.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    +1 but include the NHL too. I donít understand how more than half the teams in a league should get in.
    College basketball is in on it too. The NCAA tournament is huge and these small conferences with their conference tournaments all but make their regular season worthless as they almost never have a team with an invite outside of their tournament winner.

The team could be in last place in their conference, win the tournament, and be the only team invited from their conference to the NCAA Tournament.

Iím not sure how much it is right now, NBA fans have been complaining for years upon years that the West is so much better than the East. They were even saying on what felt like a yearly basis the Western Conference Final was a battle of the two best teams in the NBA rather than the NBA Finals themselves.
    Thanks.

Definitely agree with that. And the NBA Playoffs are just too long.

Thanks.

Definitely agree with that. And the NBA Playoffs are just too long.
    Yes. There is absolutely no need for the playoffs to take 3 months. 4 rounds of best of 7 is insane, and the games are so spaced out.

College basketball is in on it too. The NCAA tournament is huge and these small conferences with their conference tournaments all but make their regular season worthless as they almost never have a team with an invite outside of their tournament winner.

The team could be in last place in their conference, win the tournament, and be the only team invited from their conference to the NCAA Tournament.
    That I've always found ridiculous....but if not for a tournament berth, the conference tournament is pointless..but generates income the conference would never give up
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Yes. There is absolutely no need for the playoffs to take 3 months. 4 rounds of best of 7 is insane, and the games are so spaced out.
    when the days to complete the playoffs approaches the days to complete the entire regular season, something is definitely drastically wrong
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast