Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Black News Channel

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/busin...&utm_term=link

Black News Channel, the sole African American-led news network in the US, has arrived
    The country's sole African American-led news network has arrived.
    Black News Channel debuted this week, the second week of Black History Month, to fill what its founders called a void in representation in national news. The network began broadcasting in select markets on Monday.

The 24-7 cable channel features black anchors "dedicated to the unique perspective of African American communities," according to a statement from its co-founders J.C. Watts and Bob Brillante, and will debut in "majority African American markets" first, according to its website, including Atlanta and Los Angeles.

It's available to select Spectrum and Xfinity X-1 customers and will premiere on Sling and Roku at a later, unspecified date.

It aims to reach 100 million households at the end of its rollout.
    In addition to Watts, a former Republican congressman and current Black News Channel chair, the channel's leadership team and anchor lineup are almost exclusively African Americans.
    Programming will include a health series focused on medical issues that impact African Americans as well as traditional morning and primetime news programs.

In an appearance on NPR's All Things Considered, Watts said that while major news outlets feature black hosts and guests, they're rarely focused on uniquely African-American experiences.
    "I think there needs to be a more comprehensive story told about the African American community, and we'll have a venue to do that," he told NPR.

The channel won't take sides, but it's got bipartisan support

Black News Channel will tackle politicized topics but won't take a side, Watts said.
    "We're not looking to be liberal or conservative," he told NPR. "We want to provide a venue for African Americans to have a voice, to be a part of the dialogue that's going on in the country, be it incarceration reform or impeachment."

"I can't tell you how excited I am that there is going to be a 24 hour, seven day a week Black News Channel," California Rep. Karen Bass, Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said at the launch event. "I was thrilled from day one."

"We've been really pushing for diversity and inclusion in the broadcast space and cable space and it's because we live in a multi-racial civil society," said New York Rep. Yvette D. Clarke. "For far too long, our media didn't speak to that and today still doesn't speak to that diversity. The Black News Channel will fill a void in many spaces."

While the network's availability is limited, Watts plans to grow its reach.
    The company already employs over 60 people at its headquarters in Tallahassee, Florida, and has goals to build bureaus in Washington, New York and Atlanta, too.
    I support this and think this will be good for America.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Seems vaguely racisty to me, and I seriously doubt we need another 24 hours of news. But more power to them.

I am more for a black news segment at the end of the “real news”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I am more for a black news segment at the end of the “real news”

**** This is the reason I keep coming back... You crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Seems vaguely racisty to me, and I seriously doubt we need another 24 hours of news. But more power to them.
    but it's not just the same news you would get with other news channels. I would imagine this would cover black news that doesn't get deserving attention from other networks, that would spend more time on what they see as bigger stories.
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    but it's not just the same news you would get with other news channels. I would imagine this would cover black news that doesn't get deserving attention from other networks, that would spend more time on what they see as bigger stories.
    Isn't that the problem. With all news.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Isn't that the problem. With all news.
    I don't understand what you're saying, what is the problem? multiple different news channels don't have the same news? wouldn't that then support this new channel?

If you flip it over the other way it's called racist everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying, what is the problem? multiple different news channels don't have the same news? wouldn't that then support this new channel?
    Multiple channels report the same facts in different ways, or leave out important details to appease their followers. It's the problem with the news.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Multiple channels report the same facts in different ways, or leave out important details to appease their followers. It's the problem with the news.
    It's the nature of humanity. Of the media's issues, it's fairly far down the list for me. I expect bias, it's always been there. I think the single biggest issue is the lack of money for local reporters working a beat, this is how the press is failing to be the check on our government the founders intended. Second is the sheer volume of news is so high it's not possible to only report "real news". Third is we get fake outrage and actual fabrication to create traffic because traffic is money and there is less and less means to keep it in check.

All news is inherently biased, not so much in how it is reported (thought there is something to that) but in what is reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you flip it over the other way it's called racist everywhere.
    No it’s called all the regular news channels.

Agree with the above. It isn't about being ethnic centered but the fact that black issues are excluded from mainstream news. If this channel acts like the old black newspapers of the 1930s and '40s as a rallying point for black issues and highlighting the social activists and their activities within the communities, the plus side of black life (instead of just showing us in handcuffs) and not focus on entertainment news fluff. cool. I would hope they would be more of a bridge where they show how every American share the same problems in poverty, education, and environment. double cool.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-11-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    No, it's really not. "White news" on the internet is the Stormfront "news" section.

I have no problem with it really, I just think it's funny we have asian news, jewish news, muslim news, catholic news, mexican news, and black news, and all these things are fine. But "white news" in the title makes it racist.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post

real news

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast