Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Sounds like the Mets may use the Brooklyn Cyclones stadium for training in addition to Citi Field.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Rusty was one of my favorites. Some of you may have only seen him as a deluxe pinch hitter in his 2nd Mets stint in the 1980s. But he was a great all-star level hitter with gap power in the 1970s. Sort of like Keith but despite a weaker Mets lineup not offering much backup.

He was one of a handful of Mets that when I had a game on as background, I‘d stop whatever I was doing to watch him hit. He was that good a hitter.

After his playing days, he also owned two restaurants in Manhattan that he actually managed himself. One was on 47th Street around the corner from my office which was great for a business lunch and we would sometimes see him there. On the one wall, was a chart showing details of each of his almost 300 MLB homers.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Mets signed Hunter Strickland and added him to their player pool, they have 46 players now, not the 60 they can max out at.

In any other year I'd be very excited about the makeup of this team. I love the positional depth and the offensive potential of the batting order. I love the personalities and chemistry. I'm also bullish on the pen, especially Betances, Familia and Diaz. If we had a healthy Syndergaard we'd be close to a favorite in a short season and even more in the post season. His and Wheeler's absence, and the fact that it's tough to count on our 3-5 (age/injury and consistency issues), will be the biggest obstacle for us to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    In any other year I'd be very excited about the makeup of this team. I love the positional depth and the offensive potential of the batting order. I love the personalities and chemistry. I'm also bullish on the pen, especially Betances, Familia and Diaz. If we had a healthy Syndergaard we'd be close to a favorite in a short season and even more in the post season. His and Wheeler's absence, and the fact that it's tough to count on our 3-5 (age/injury and consistency issues), will be the biggest obstacle for us to overcome.
    Even if the Mets still had Wheeler and Syndergaard never got hurt, any team that starts out hot is going to make it tough to beat in just 60 games. Over 162 game period, you can overcome that hot team. And the NL East is strong enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Even if the Mets still had Wheeler and Syndergaard never got hurt, any team that starts out hot is going to make it tough to beat in just 60 games. Over 162 game period, you can overcome that hot team. And the NL East is strong enough already.
    Yes. This is true for all teams. A hot start will be important. And a bad one can be devastating.

What's interesting is that historically late starters have blamed the spring weather, especially in the northeast, or needing to catch up to the pitchers, etc. We have no data for this sort of late start. It's already hot. People have already trained. Then stopped. Then trained again. Some have covertly gotten in reps and sessions while others have been more hunkered down. It will be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Rusty was one of my favorites. Some of you may have only seen him as a deluxe pinch hitter in his 2nd Mets stint in the 1980s. But he was a great all-star level hitter with gap power in the 1970s. Sort of like Keith but despite a weaker Mets lineup not offering much backup.

He was one of a handful of Mets that when I had a game on as background, I‘d stop whatever I was doing to watch him hit. He was that good a hitter.

After his playing days, he also owned two restaurants in Manhattan that he actually managed himself. One was on 47th Street around the corner from my office which was great for a business lunch and we would sometimes see him there. On the one wall, was a chart showing details of each of his almost 300 MLB homers.
    Do you recall him ever complaining about being moved to a pinch hitter? I don't and I think he took it in stride, and probably enjoyed it too since he was so good at it. With some teams, you want their pinch hittert to come off the bench because he's an easy out. But Rusty wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Yes. This is true for all teams. A hot start will be important. And a bad one can be devastating.

What's interesting is that historically late starters have blamed the spring weather, especially in the northeast, or needing to catch up to the pitchers, etc. We have no data for this sort of late start. It's already hot. People have already trained. Then stopped. Then trained again. Some have covertly gotten in reps and sessions while others have been more hunkered down. It will be interesting...
    Nothing would surprise me this year
    Between players opting out, potentially getting sick and missing significant time, normal injuries, hot starts, cold starts, figuring out new players (imagine a rookie getting hot where the league doesn’t have time to figure him out), etc, this could be a crazy season and anything can happen

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Nothing would surprise me this year
    Between players opting out, potentially getting sick and missing significant time, normal injuries, hot starts, cold starts, figuring out new players (imagine a rookie getting hot where the league doesn’t have time to figure him out), etc, this could be a crazy season and anything can happen
    It was worse in WWII but they played the games and they counted. We may be looking at numbers for Trout and deGrom, in a HOF context, the way we look at Williams' (two wars) Mays' and many others who have big gaps on the back of their baseball cards because of service.

Or the players who lost out on games in 1981 and 1994-95.

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast