Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Swagger and rah-rah nonsense aside, there are organizations that have built cultures that are based upon a long-term, proprietary approach to the game as well as a system for teaching and executing it. More recently it involves things like a consistent philosophy re the draft, free agency, international free agency, international academies and, yes, analytics. Most notably, the Dodgers harkening back to Mr. Rickey's era, the Cardinals and the Yankees come to mind. The thing is you can't build a culture overnight. It takes decades in some instances. It takes ownership that not only has a clue, but a vision. We don't have that. I don't blame Brodie for trying, but without full-on long-term support and a shared POV from ownership, it's tough to create a mascot, let alone a culture. The closest we come to that today is a Theo-like GM who parlays some new take on the game into short term success and a huge contract elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    And you have as well. And you love him and the moves he has made. So get off your high horse.
    You are still praising his moves, every last one of them.
    The problem here is you're making **** up. I'm said multiple times in this thread and others that he's made some mediocre moves but his resume is mixed and incomplete. More of that intellectual dishonesty you love so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I watched almost all the games last year, and Ramos sucked. Nice bat for most of the year, but he's awful behind the plate. One of our top pitchers begged the GM to let him pitch to someone else. I don't want to hear that he was good. He wasn't.

Not getting Grandal or Realmuto was Brodie's fault, not Ramos. I dislike Ramos because of Ramos' play.
    He didn’t suck. You’re wrong.

Just because his defense wasn’t good overall and he’s a slow baserunner doesn’t mean that he sucked.

His wRC+ was 10th out of 30 catchers with at least 300 PA and his WPA was 1st out of all catchers.

His WAR was 15th (right behind Travis d’Arnaud ironically, but he was never going to be good here).

So explain to me how he sucked? You’re hating on him because he’s not Grandal or Realmuto which isn’t fair. With a few small tweaks, he can easily be a 2-3 WAR guy next year with even better offense.

He’s not Josh Thole, who unequivocally sucks. Ramos signed for a very affordable 2-3 year contract which helps us add other pieces elsewhere while filling a hole for us. I don’t want to hear anything about Syndergaard not liking to pitch to Ramos. He was just making excuses for his poor pitching.

2020 Mets Spring Training - The Mets Way

It is revisionist history. That trade was a disaster. It crippled us financially and emptied our farm system, for a PED user on the bad side of a 10-year contract and a young reliever after a career year. His signing of Ramos was totally a panic move because he was overwhelmed by the Marlins front office and by Grandal's agent. Then he keeps Wheeler when he believes the season is over in spite of, by all accounts, a good market for him around the deadline. So Wheeler walks for nothing to our division rival.

The guy sucks. Maybe he redeems himself, but more than likely he won't have the time to before the team gets sold and he gets fired.
    Diaz has great in 2016 as well as a 22 year old. Losing Kelenic did not “empty” our farm system. We’ve lost our best prospect. It sucks, but it is what it is. That’s the only real mistake he’s made. His draft looks extremely promising so far.

His signing of Ramos was a proactive move when Grandal had unrealistic demands at the time. Even this offseason he only got $13m more after the great year he had. The Mets needed a catcher and there was a chance they could left with nothing.

The Mets can still sign Realmuto next offseason if the Phillies don’t extend him. If the market was really hot for Wheeler, he would have been traded. The Mets were garbage at the deadline and it would have been easily justified. The Phillies would have signed him anyway. The Mets still get a draft pick.

So the Mets renovated the club house to a state of the art one and then go out and say that the minor leaguers can’t use when they play.

So now they are killing them everywhere.

Only the Mets continue to be looked at like ****ing clowns for their off field decisions.

Mets reliever Edwin Diaz, who enlisted the help of Hall-of-Famer Pedro Martinez this offseason, spoke Monday about the tips he has put to use, his (hopefully) improved slider, and more at spring training in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

"It wasn't anything that I changed significantly," Diaz said about the tips Martinez gave him. "It was mostly the minor adjustments that I felt I needed to make. And I actually put those to work this offseason. I feel very good going into this season."

One of the things Martinez helped Diaz with was his mechanics, which Diaz struggled to harness for much of the 2019 season while also being unable to get comfortable throwing his slider.

"We haven't had any problems with it," Diaz said about how his slider has been so far in spring training.

"I feel good. I feel happy about it, with all the work that we've done this offseason with the slider," Diaz explained. "I feel really good. I haven't faced any live hitting yet. But in some of the bullpens, I feel really good about it going into the season."

With the addition of Dellin Betances, whom Diaz called "one of the best bullpen pitchers in the history of the game," the return of Seth Lugo and a potentially rejuvenated Jeurys Familia, Diaz might not enter the season as the team's closer.

Manager Luis Rojas, while speaking generally about most of his roster, said during the Mets' Fan Fest in late-January that he wasn't yet ready to proclaim Diaz his closer.

"We have such a great bullpen, I mean a lot of guys with history of closing games," Rojas said. "A lot of them. I think that's only good. So we're going to look at it real close. We're not going to define roles yet, and we're going to go through the process of spring training and how our bullpen looks throwing the ball and facing opponents."

When it comes to potential uncertainty regarding his role, Diaz doesn't seem to mind.

"I'm open to helping the team win," he said. "So if Luis tells me I have to come in (any) certain inning, I'm open to doing that."

Metsblog

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    So the Mets renovated the club house to a state of the art one and then go out and say that the minor leaguers can’t use when they play.

So now they are killing them everywhere.

Only the Mets continue to be looked at like ****ing clowns for their off field decisions.
    Might hurt the value of the team. Can't be having locker rooms that teams might actually use outside of media opportunities for Met players. Clowns be clownsing as Jeffy boy can't wait for that money from the sale of the team so he can buy a new red nose and more face paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Nah come on, the Mets had a good offer out to Grandal but he opted for the one year contract. That’s nobody’s fault.

Realmuto was also a kings ransom, would’ve preferred him over Cano but alas here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ramos was signed before either Grandal or Realmuto moved. Brodie isn't really a GM, so he panicked and signed the worst of the three guys instead of playing the game and continuing to negotiate with Grandal and/or the Marlins.

Realmuto did not get traded for a king's ransom. Brodie was asked for one because the Marlins had just watched him get fleeced by the Mariners and figured they'd take a shot at it. We could have had him for less (obviously) if Brodie hadn't panicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Finally, projections that don’t suck the Phillies off.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Diaz has great in 2016 as well as a 22 year old. Losing Kelenic did not “empty” our farm system. We’ve lost our best prospect. It sucks, but it is what it is. That’s the only real mistake he’s made. His draft looks extremely promising so far.

His signing of Ramos was a proactive move when Grandal had unrealistic demands at the time. Even this offseason he only got $13m more after the great year he had. The Mets needed a catcher and there was a chance they could left with nothing.

The Mets can still sign Realmuto next offseason if the Phillies don’t extend him. If the market was really hot for Wheeler, he would have been traded. The Mets were garbage at the deadline and it would have been easily justified. The Phillies would have signed him anyway. The Mets still get a draft pick.
    Unfortunately the Diaz trade was a very costly mistake in that it also cash strapped them. Even if Diaz had a repeat of 2018, Seattle still came out ahead on the trade in that they got two very good prospects (so far) and a big salary dump. The latter is what is making losing the prospects harder to swallow. Add onto that Diaz's horrible 2019 turns this into an extremely horrible trade. The only thing that can salvage this is if Diaz returns to one of his 2016 to 2018 years.

I can't blame Brodie for going after Diaz. His August and September 2018 games were on fire. There was no indication he had any issues back then. I just hope Diaz can pull it together this year.

Ramos signing was good in that we got a good hitting catcher. Behind the plate, he's not the best. But how many catchers out there are good at both? Jeter was going to fleece Brodie for Realmuto and the Mets would have vastly overpaid for him. Thankfully he didn't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Unfortunately the Diaz trade was a very costly mistake in that it also cash strapped them. Even if Diaz had a repeat of 2018, Seattle still came out ahead on the trade in that they got two very good prospects (so far) and a big salary dump. The latter is what is making losing the prospects harder to swallow. Add onto that Diaz's horrible 2019 turns this into an extremely horrible trade. The only thing that can salvage this is if Diaz returns to one of his 2016 to 2018 years.

I can't blame Brodie for going after Diaz. His August and September 2018 games were on fire. There was no indication he had any issues back then. I just hope Diaz can pull it together this year.

Ramos signing was good in that we got a good hitting catcher. Behind the plate, he's not the best. But how many catchers out there are good at both? Jeter was going to fleece Brodie for Realmuto and the Mets would have vastly overpaid for him. Thankfully he didn't bite.
    How did it cash strap them? The Mets got rid of Bruce’s and Swarzak’s salaries. I think people keep forgetting that. Bruce was paid $14M and Swarzak was paid $5.5M in 2019. That equals $20.5M.

Cano’s salary is $24M per season, but the Mariners pay $4M per season until it’s completion so the Mets are only paying Cano $20M per season.

So Cano did not increase the payroll in 2019. Since the Mets were strapped for cash and Brodie wanted to win in 2019, he made a bold and questionable decision that ultimately backfired. But his logic for improving the MLB team made sense.

Cano has been perennial All-Star at 2B and Diaz was the best closer in the game. Getting rid of Bruce and replacing him with McNeil (and eventually JD) while inserting Cano at 2B definitely looked good on paper.

Replacing Swarzak with a young and controllable impact closer like Diaz looked like a major upgrade. Like I said, it didn’t work out. But if those two performed close to expectations, the Mets make the playoffs and who knows what would happen?

I think Diaz will bounce back this season. He’s far too talented to be awful like he was last season. Agreed on Ramos. People are really expecting too much when we’ve had absolutely **** at catcher for years.

Ramos was signed before either Grandal or Realmuto moved. Brodie isn't really a GM, so he panicked and signed the worst of the three guys instead of playing the game and continuing to negotiate with Grandal and/or the Marlins.

Realmuto did not get traded for a king's ransom. Brodie was asked for one because the Marlins had just watched him get fleeced by the Mariners and figured they'd take a shot at it. We could have had him for less (obviously) if Brodie hadn't panicked.
    Mets got Ramos on a great deal.

Brodie made a good, proactive move.

Both of those guys did not move until much later in the offseason. Mets desperately needed a catcher.

Mets got Ramos on a great deal.

Brodie made a good, proactive move.

Both of those guys did not move until much later in the offseason. Mets desperately needed a catcher.
    Ramos makes sense for a year or two. I just didn’t realize how much of a slug he is defensively.

How did it cash strap them? The Mets got rid of Bruce’s and Swarzak’s salaries. I think people keep forgetting that. Bruce was paid $14M and Swarzak was paid $5.5M in 2019. That equals $20.5M.

Cano’s salary is $24M per season, but the Mariners pay $4M per season until it’s completion so the Mets are only paying Cano $20M per season.

So Cano did not increase the payroll in 2019. Since the Mets were strapped for cash and Brodie wanted to win in 2019, he made a bold and questionable decision that ultimately backfired. But his logic for improving the MLB team made sense.

Cano has been perennial All-Star at 2B and Diaz was the best closer in the game. Getting rid of Bruce and replacing him with McNeil (and eventually JD) while inserting Cano at 2B definitely looked good on paper.

Replacing Swarzak with a young and controllable impact closer like Diaz looked like a major upgrade. Like I said, it didn’t work out. But if those two performed close to expectations, the Mets make the playoffs and who knows what would happen?

I think Diaz will bounce back this season. He’s far too talented to be awful like he was last season. Agreed on Ramos. People are really expecting too much when we’ve had absolutely **** at catcher for years.
    Fun fact: Anthony Swarzak’s wife was under fire for making racist comments by Tim Anderson’s wife.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast