Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

2020 Mets Draft - Mets Pick OF Pete Crow-Armstrong 1st Round

Itís going to be weird since they will hold a 5 round draft and thatís it.

Anybody that was not drafted can I my sign for 20k, so nobody can hold out and try to sign for big bucks.

Kids will either go to college or Jr. college or eligible juniors may end up staying another year and go back to college.

Mets have these picks.

Round 1, pick 19
    Round 2, pick 52
    Comp round, pick 69(Wheeler)
    Round 3, pick 91
    Round 4, pick 120
    Round 5, pick 150

I assume a lot of undrafted FA will be signing afterwards, kind of like football.

This is going to destroy minor leagues as we know it.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

MLB is getting what they wanted and this will make eliminating minor league teams easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    MLB is getting what they wanted and this will make eliminating minor league teams easier.

I don't want them to cut teams either but I believe the 5 round draft is just for 1 season anyway.

Where I get upset is when they speak of an IFA draft.

IMO an annual 20 round draft with no IFA draft is ok but I'd loosen up on the
    "slots" a little more. Pay a larger tax? Sure OK sounds good.

*Not draft related but-

Bigger issue IMHO is the prime age years a player has, say years 2-6 when they are 24-28 and worth double or even triple what they are paid.

Owners should take care of that first before trying to justify not offering big money/yrs to 32 year olds.

last year they nabbed a kid in the 3rd that was expecting a big bonus-maybe they do something like that again:

RD 1 Talent deserving of pick
    RD 2 Talent deserving of pick
    RD 2 Big Bonus Baby
    RD 3 Below Slot but decent prospect
    RD 4 Senior well below slot
    RD 5 Senior well below slot

*Less picks to save slot money on with only 5 rounds
    **100k signing bonus and installments the next 2 years make it possible Jeff and his pal can pull it off with the Pon's broke ***..

I'd be cool with that even if they don't take advantage of the 25k signings allowed that I'm sure the smart teams will load up on.

3 TOP talents + a decent prospect (+ 2 Seniors that may provide depth) and I'm good. I'd sign up for that now 100%.

OF Austin Hendrick, West Allegheny High School (PA)

Hendrick's tools on both sides of the ball are above average across the board, with his power potential being the one that stands out the most.

The 18-year-old's exit velocity was among the best in the country, and he would give the Mets a lefty bat who could potentially stick in center field but could also profile in either corner outfield spot.

MLB Pipeline scouting report snippet: "While there might be some risk in terms of strikeouts with Hendrick, there isn't a high school hitter in the country with more upside. The Mississippi State recruit has the chance to be a middle-of-the-lineup run producer with tons of power and plenty of scouts still believe in him reaching that ceiling."

OF Heston Kjerstad, Arkansas

The 10th-ranked prospect in the draft and the fourth-highest ranked outfielder, Kjerstad could be gone by the time the Mets pick. But if he's still on the board, he could be hard to pass up.

The 21-year-old was hitting .448 with a .513 OBP and six homers in 16 games this year during what was his junior season before it was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

MLB Pipeline scouting report snippet: "Kjerstad's strength and bat speed give him well above-average raw power to all fields. He has a complicated swing that features a big hand circle in his load, so he has to be precise with his timing to make it work -- but he has done so in college and was the top performer in the U.S. collegiate team's lineup last summer."

OF Robert Hassell, Independence High School (TN)

Hassell, 18, is a Vanderbilt commit who is a legitimate prospect as both an outfielder and a pitcher. But it's expected that he'll move forward as an outfielder.

Like Hendrick, he has above average tools across the board. But he doesn't have the power potential of Hendrick.

MLB Pipeline scouting report snippet: "The best pure hitter in the 2020 prep class, Hassell has a pretty left-handed stroke and the hand-eye coordination to barrel balls with ease. He's at his best when he lashes line drives to all fields but his swing got too uphill when he made a conscious effort to hit homers in the middle of the summer."

OF Pete Crow-Armstrong, Harvard-Westlake High School (CA)

The No. 20 prospect in the draft, per MLB Pipeline, Crow-Armstrong doesn't have the power potential of most of the other highly-touted outfielders, but he's viewed as a true center fielder who "might be the best defensive outfielder" in the draft.

Crow-Armstrong shined for USA Baseball in 2019, slashing .364/.405/.606 with four stolen bases in nine games.

MLB Pipeline scouting report snippet: "A dynamic athlete who goes hard at all times, he reminds some of a Grady Sizemore type in terms of his frame. He's committed to Vanderbilt and was moving back up closer to the top of the first round with a return to who he'd been, along with some added strength, at the beginning of his senior year."

OF Daniel Cabrera, Louisiana State

The No. 38 prospect in the class, per MLB Pipeline, Cabrera could be a bit of a reach for the Mets at No. 19.

The 21-year-old was slashing .345/.466/.500 in 17 games this season before it was suspended.

MLB Pipeline scouting report snippet: "Cabrera is equipped to hit for average and power. He has a smooth left-handed swing and doesn't try to do too much at the plate, letting his bat speed and the loft in his stroke create natural pop."

SNY.com

R.J. Anderson
    @r_j_anderson
    Heard from multiple front office types that a team with a top-10 pick is at least considering punting the draft. That would include taking a player in the first round who they donít intend to sign. (They would still offer the minimum required to net a comp pick for next year.)

Works great for the Mets I would think.

Can not lie, Iím pretty excited for this draft! My dream scenario is HS RHP Mick Abel falls to us in the 1st and HS 3rd Baseman Jordan Walker falls to us in the 2nd. However, that probably wonít happen. There is a plethora of players I like in the 1st round who may be available. HS OFers Austin Hendrick and Pete Crow-Armstrong (Robert Hassell will definitely be gone), HS pitchers Mick Abel and Jared Kelley, and HS infielders Ed Howard and Jordan Walker (my favorite player in the draft). Then in the 2nd round Iíd like HS LHP Dax Fulton.

Brodie needs another big draft. His 2019 draft is basically the only thing that I actually like that he did so far lol

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    Brodie needs another big draft. His 2019 draft is basically the only thing that I actually like that he did so far lol

Agree 100%

blue jays building themselves an incredible core of position players

How do folks feel about Dillon Dingler? Super athletic, defensive C who played CF at Ohio State. He was on the right trajectory with his bat this year before the season ended due to Covid.
    Last edited by wiley6; 06-10-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Fíin Phils! Took my guy! Where the F is everybody?!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast