Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Canadian Politics Thread

Thereís a few Canadians on here and most of them actually follow Canadian politics so thought I may as well toss this on here in case anyone wants to talk about it instead of AOCís latest tweet.

Iíll start with Kennyís post from another thread.

I highly doubt the territories or BC would leave, in general BC is a pretty liberal province and the territories enjoy the northern allowances too much. It's a moot point though because it will never happen. Whoever decides they want to leave will have to pay back their portion of the national debt which would put them under water before they even started. And to add to that, both Alberta and Saskatchewan are built on an industry that being phased out. I read an article that Western Crude Select has to be at or above $80/Barrell to make money because of the cost to extract it from the tar sands pretty much means that Canadian oil will be the first to go.

I dislike Trudeau as much as the next guy but I'm not a fan of propping up a dying industry
    Western alienation isnít only a conservative POV despite the leaning of the current Wexit movement. Yes, BC is more liberal/left wing than Alberta and Saskatchewan but so is Manitoba. BC has had and still does have their own separatist feelings. Itís not very likely to happen but if it got to that point I doubt right/left wing politics would be an issue. Alberta and BC especially would benefit from more power and influence in a Western Canadian country than they currently have in Ottawa which is the biggest issue. The territoryís are likely to follow suit because most of their connection to Canada is through the west and I doubt their northern allowance would change because of it.

As for the west taking their portion of the national debt there is no issue there imo. Weíre in the same hole whether a part of Canada or not. The debt is something like $800 billion if I remember correctly. Roughly $22k per capita it works out to I think. 30% of the population is in the west. Take 30% of the debt or $240 billion and itís still $22k per. Not one bit of difference other than the $8 plus billion a year that goes from the west to the east in equalization payments doesnít have to go.

There's quite a bit of misinformation out there about equalization payments. It's revenue from GST so if the program was cancelled the provinces that pay into the program would still be paying it to the federal govt, it would just stay in the government coffers instead of being distributed to the have not provinces. There is definitely some done tuning that needs to be done to it but cancelling the system isn't going to keep any more money in the provinces.

As for BC and the north wanting to leave, I'm pretty sure I've seen polls that had some pretty low numbers with regards leaving confederation.

Theres also the issue of reworking treaties with natives, which would be costly to a western republic and the issue of capital land within the provinces. Any national Park would remain in Canada, including Baniff and I've read that the majority of Edmonton is also on national land. Its a pretty sticky situation

I remember when QC wanted to leave and tbat if they succeeded most of the province would have to be returned to the crown. All they would get would be the original strip along the St. Lawrence.

Equalization payments come from general federal revenue, not just GST. And the general direction of that money is from west to east. The ďextraĒ money the government collects from provinces like Alberta and Saskatchewan is what is used for the equalization payments. In the case of western separation that money is gone from the east and staying in the west.

I agree that the numbers arenít high for separating but the general disdain for Ottawa is at its highest point ever in Western Canada.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...eparatism/amp/
    Manitoba is the lowest of the western provinces at 11%. All Iím saying is that if the alienation gets even a little worse things could start to snowball and in that situation I think both Manitoba and BC are going with the west over Ottawa.

The treaties with natives and the entire system with them needs to be desperately renegotiated anyway. Itís costlier not to do it. As for National Parks and crown land, that just becomes national parks and crown land in the new country. Not sure what makes you think otherwise. Unless Eastern Canada is keeping 100% of the debt.

I prefer not to comment on things that I don't think I have a good understanding of. Since very little that they do in their country personally affects me or anyone that I know, it's tough for me to comment.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Canada?? LOL

I'm an American and most of us here are from the USA.

You think I care about another countries domestic issues/politics/disagreements when I'm a citizen of the United States of America? LOL!!!

I like Canada, but we have our own problems inland to concern ourselves with before stepping our toes into what's going on upland.

Besides it would be embarrasing to discuss something that has nothing to do with me, my family, my job, my paycheck or my life.

We have enough issues to try to come together with in our own country.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I prefer not to comment on things that I don't think I have a good understanding of. Since very little that they do in their country personally affects me or anyone that I know, it's tough for me to comment.
    Thatís not a problem. Iíve noticed a few other Canadians that post in here so this thread is for them in case something of interest comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    Canada?? LOL

You think I care about another countries domestic issues/politics/disagreements when I'm a citizen of the United States of America? LOL!!!

I like Canada, but we have our own problems inland to concern ourselves with before stepping our toes into what's going on upland.

Besides it would be embarrasing to discuss something that has nothing to do with me, my family, my job, my paycheck or my life.

Piss off and post in another thread then. There are literally thousands of threads on American politics for you to post in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    Piss off and post in another thread then. There are literally thousands of threads on American politics for you to post in.
    Whether it was on purpose or not, he did a great job of making a thinly veiled dig at one of this forum's most ridiculous posters.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Whether it was on purpose or not, he did a great job of making a thinly veiled dig at one of this forum's most ridiculous posters.
    Understand that. Iím to the point where I just reply according to how people post. If they are an ***, Iím an *** back. If they arenít then Iím not.

Canada?? LOL

This site is Canadian numbnuts

Canada?? LOL

Canadians are Americans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Canadians are Americans too.
    Does this mean that any time a Trumper screams America First at the top of their lungs like a banshee that they are exposing their ignorance?

Canada?? LOL

This is the problem with America. If this was a largely Canadian forum and an American made this thread those ****ing hoosers would be so polite about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Canada?? LOL

You are an arrogant piece of crap. I agree with Nasty, this is the problem with some Americans that are noticed by our allies. We don't give a damn about others and their concerns and we even do this among ourselves.

And you literally took the time to show your displeasure as if it had some merit. Just don't enter the discussion instead of leaving a turd in the fruit punch if you aren't interested. Thumping your chest and proclaiming you are an American. Get the F out of here.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-09-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Does this mean that any time a Trumper screams America First at the top of their lungs like a banshee that they are exposing their ignorance?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Many Trumpers are not good at remaining silent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast