Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XFL Week 1

Hope this league sticks this time....it's fun, it's on during the biggest lull of the NFL offseason...and I'd agree, the kickoff is way good, ensuring more returns yet not allowing kicking team guys to get up the speed that resulted in player safety issues.

....tho a kickoff out of bounds resulting in receiving team at the other 45 would never fly in the NFL

don't think I like the idea of the 3 pt XP but for this league, it's worth taking a look at
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Definitely was a fun and enjoyable 1st couple of games. I can get behind this product without all the gimmicks the last time around with the XFL. Will be interesting to see if attendence and viewership keeps up over the next few weekends, but this looks like it at least has a chance to stick.

I realize, of course, it was one game...and in the XFL....but did anyone else wonder what PJ Walker did NOT show to not stick with the Colts?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I realize, of course, it was one game...and in the XFL....but did anyone else wonder what PJ Walker did NOT show to not stick with the Colts?
    Well his accuracy wasn't great, but based on the physical tools he showed yesterday looked like a developmental project an NFL team might want to keep around. Problem is that these days most teams are only carrying 2 QB's in the NFL and your #2 has to be ready to step in right away, so a guy like PJ is somebody you want to slip through to the PS.

XFL as a league is or could show promise

I don't know why but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Aaron Murray

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Hope this league sticks this time....it's fun, it's on during the biggest lull of the NFL offseason...and I'd agree, the kickoff is way good, ensuring more returns yet not allowing kicking team guys to get up the speed that resulted in player safety issues.

....tho a kickoff out of bounds resulting in receiving team at the other 45 would never fly in the NFL

don't think I like the idea of the 3 pt XP but for this league, it's worth taking a look at
    I highly recommend listening to the XFL episode of the podcast Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard. He details the early time and the first couple weeks, and it seems like Vince just threw everything together, and relied on the wrestling angle, which was beginning to get played out.

This time? He did it right. He hired Oliver Luck, who had experience running the same scale league in NFL Europe. Luck, also being a college AD, had the connections with coaches and other ADs to sell the league to former players. They got a higher quality turnout than I think the AAFL did. At the same time, Vince hired Paul Heyman and Prichard to run two of his TV shows, and has his son-in-law running the third, so he doesn't have any employee crossover this time around. All four of those guys know what they are doing, and can execute Vince's vision when he isn't present. It was super smart of him to do that.

Ok i couldnt get behind any team other than the Guardians. Matt McGloin, Ian Silberman, Ben Heeney. RAIDERS! And The colors are silver and black. Gotta be my team.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

IN CHUCKY WE TRUST

I don't understand why the XFL put teams in a bunch of markets that already have NFL teams. It seems like you could get some passionate fanbases if you focused on larger cities that don't have NFL teams or where teams recently left like they did with St. Louis. Teams in Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Antonio, etc. would be great locales.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I don't understand why the XFL put teams in a bunch of markets that already have NFL teams. It seems like you could get some passionate fanbases if you focused on larger cities that don't have NFL teams or where teams recently left like they did with St. Louis. Teams in Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Antonio, etc. would be great locales.
    I agree, but perhaps it's a better idea to build the fanbase with already rabid cities, then expand to cities without NFL teams. Kind of the opposite of what the AAF did.

Maybe that scared them away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I agree, but perhaps it's a better idea to build the fanbase with already rabid cities, then expand to cities without NFL teams. Kind of the opposite of what the AAF did.

Maybe that scared them away.
    Possibly. I also think going to cities like St. Louis, Oakland, and San Diego would be a big F you to the NFL and those fanbases would probably jump at the chance to root for a football team again lol.

Possibly. I also think going to cities like St. Louis, Oakland, and San Diego would be a big F you to the NFL and those fanbases would probably jump at the chance to root for a football team again lol.
    St. Louis is one of the XFL teams (the only non-NFL city). With SD, they might be waiting for the new stadium to open in 2022 (SDSU, planned capacity of 35,000).

I wish the XFL would have chosen Citi Field (MLB's Mets home) for the New York Guardians. It's about half the size of MetLife Stadium. Also, a New York team should actually be in New York. Wien Stadium at Columbia University in Manhattan seats 17,000, but only one-fourth of that is chair seating (although the Houston Roughnecks home stadium at U. Houston is also mostly what I call "backbreaker seating" -- backless benches).
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 02-10-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Rumor is St. Louis is gonna get an NFL team again because there is a lawsuit going on that could end up costing the NFL $1 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Rumor is St. Louis is gonna get an NFL team again because there is a lawsuit going on that could end up costing the NFL $1 billion.
    I think the Chargers will last only one or two seasons in the new shared LA stadium due to poor attendance. "St. Louis Chargers" has a good ring to it.

I enjoyed it. Players are iffy lol, Some rust and some not talented enough. But That stuff will level itself out if they can sustain success for years to come. I'll def tune in next week.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast