Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Dak Prescott

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    He could of had a monster signing bonus in his bank account. What if thereís no season? Thereís still a chance he plays on the 31 million tag next year. ( not likely ).
    What if he becomes a free agent next year and the cap does get slashed? No one will have money for him.
    Not saying these outcomes are likely but heís taking on a lot of risk.
    He could also get hurt.
    Itís a 100% chance he plays under the tag this season. He canít negotiate until after the season is over now.

With that being the case, Iíll say it again, he will not be the Cowboys QB in 2021. At least not for the whole season. Letís say they win the NFC East and even win a 1st round playoff game. Then, like before they lose in the second round. Is he worth $40M a season at that point? Would you give him that much?

In my opinion Dalton could do the same thing with this team (lose in the 1st or 2nd round), only do it for $16M a season. They should draft a QB in the first or second round and allow the ďQB whisperĒ they signed to coach the team earn his money.

You either let Dak walk after the season or franchise him again and trade him (Jacksonville or Chicago are the best destinations).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Itís a 100% chance he plays under the tag this season. He canít negotiate until after the season is over now.

With that being the case, Iíll say it again, he will not be the Cowboys QB in 2021. At least not for the whole season. Letís say they win the NFC East and even win a 1st round playoff game. Then, like before they lose in the second round. Is he worth $40M a season at that point? Would you give him that much?

In my opinion Dalton could do the same thing with this team (lose in the 1st or 2nd round), only do it for $16M a season. They should draft a QB in the first or second round and allow the ďQB whisperĒ they signed to coach the team earn his money.

You either let Dak walk after the season or franchise him again and trade him (Jacksonville or Chicago are the best destinations).

I understand the tag rules. Itís been suggested that if the season gets wiped away that players like Dak might still owe a year. So next year he would be tagged at 31 million and not 38.
    Slim chance but who knows.
    Anyway Dak is gambling a lot of money here.

Here's a trade scenario I wish we could have pulled off.

Get a much needed boost on defense and Darnold would be a negligible downgrade at worst but much easier to handle financially. Nothing against Dak, but he's not worth this contract headache.
    Last edited by d.m.g.; 07-16-2020 at 09:10 AM.

I understand the tag rules. Itís been suggested that if the season gets wiped away that players like Dak might still owe a year. So next year he would be tagged at 31 million and not 38.
    Slim chance but who knows.
    Anyway Dak is gambling a lot of money here.
    Oh ok, my bad. Yea Iím not sure what happens if the season is cancelled. Because the draft and free agency are before the official start of the new league year.

Also what happens if college football is cancelled? The draft is going to be an even bigger crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Oh ok, my bad. Yea Iím not sure what happens if the season is cancelled. Because the draft and free agency are before the official start of the new league year.

Also what happens if college football is cancelled? The draft is going to be an even bigger crap shoot.

Could of had a 50 million signing bonus in his bank today. Now he has to wait for game cheques and hope games arenít canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by surf and turf View Post
    Well , hereís my take . I donít like it.... lol... Dak is overplaying his hand . Heís not top 5 but is standing his ground like he is . New Coaching staff , fair shot at a NFCCG . Itís a touch selfish because heís not a AG or RW or PH ... but ............ the steel balls on this guy ? No ? I mean if thereís a hurricane Iím grabbing his ankles ... 😂😂.. holy crap . Heís betting heís going to have a better year then last year , during this madness ? Huge , Huge risk . Yes he has next years tag as insurance but ... with this offense they better go deep or Dallas will let him walk . Monster Balls
    But the Cowboys offense will be even better, remember? They drafted CeeDee Lamb, the next Randy Moss. Dak will have three #1 receivers to throw to. There's no reason to believe Dak won't put up Top 5 stats again. Who cares if he loses in the playoffs. Stats are what matters!

If the NFL plays in empty stadiums that would help offenses even more. Just imagine if Amari Cooper doesn't disappear in away games like last year. Scary! Dak will set several franchise records.

He could of had a monster signing bonus in his bank account. What if thereís no season? Thereís still a chance he plays on the 31 million tag next year. ( not likely ).
    What if he becomes a free agent next year and the cap does get slashed? No one will have money for him.
    Not saying these outcomes are likely but heís taking on a lot of risk.
    He could also get hurt.
    Nobody is cancelling a billion dollar entertainment product. At worst the season will be played in empty stadiums.

The proposed contract would have paid $70M over the first two years *including* the signing bonus. Dak is already getting close to half that simply by playing on his franchise tag, and if he gets tagged again, he would be making $34.1M + $37.7M = $69.1M over two years.

Wentz is the injury-prone QB. Dak never gets hurt.

So the most likely outcome is he puts up great numbers again and tagging him a 2nd time would mean he costs a huge percentage of the COVID-affected 2021 cap. So he could already become a free agent then. Other teams won't have much cap either, but that shouldn't be a problem because QBs of Dak's caliber don't hit the open market, and he could sign a big contract with a small 2021 cap hit.

So hats off to Dak. He's probably the best QB in the league when it comes to contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by d.m.g. View Post
    Here's a trade scenario I wish we could have pulled off.

Get a much needed boost on defense and Darnold would be a negligible downgrade at worst but much easier to handle financially. Nothing against Dak, but he's not worth this contract headache.
    Dak for Darnold and Jamal Adams?

lmao only a Cowboys fan could up with something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    But the Cowboys offense will be even better, remember? They drafted CeeDee Lamb, the next Randy Moss. Dak will have three #1 receivers to throw to. There's no reason to believe Dak won't put up Top 5 stats again. Who cares if he loses in the playoffs. Stats are what matters!

If the NFL plays in empty stadiums that would help offenses even more. Just imagine if Amari Cooper doesn't disappear in away games like last year. Scary! Dak will set several franchise records.

Nobody is cancelling a billion dollar entertainment product. At worst the season will be played in empty stadiums.

The proposed contract would have paid $70M over the first two years *including* the signing bonus. Dak is already getting close to half that simply by playing on his franchise tag, and if he gets tagged again, he would be making $34.1M + $37.7M = $69.1M over two years.

Wentz is the injury-prone QB. Dak never gets hurt.

So the most likely outcome is he puts up great numbers again and tagging him a 2nd time would mean he costs a huge percentage of the COVID-affected 2021 cap. So he could already become a free agent then. Other teams won't have much cap either, but that shouldn't be a problem because QBs of Dak's caliber don't hit the open market, and he could sign a big contract with a small 2021 cap hit.

So hats off to Dak. He's probably the best QB in the league when it comes to contract negotiations.
    People like to compare this to the cousins tag but there are differences. The pandemic is the wild card here.
    Do you really see a team offering him 40 million a year next year with a possibly reduced cap? I realize you can lower the first year hit but still.

People like to compare this to the cousins tag but there are differences. The pandemic is the wild card here.
    Do you really see a team offering him 40 million a year next year with a possibly reduced cap? I realize you can lower the first year hit but still.
    Depending on how well Dak actually plays, yes I can.

By free agency next year we will already know how if there will be a second year impacted by COVID. But if the USA could eventually get a handle on the virus like countries such as Vietnam have already done, the salary cap will go back to normal in 2022 along with a big increase from new TV contracts.

That last contract offer was only done for the media and fans. It's less than Goff's contract and made one year later. If you actually think Dak is a Top 10 or even Top 5 QB you should feel insulted for him.

Hence why I said wish could be done. We'd also have to throw in draft picks for them to even consider, which is fine since we aren't rebuilding.

On the flip side I wouldn't mind trading Dak for draft picks and see if we can land someone in 2021. Dalton's not great, but he's decent enough to be productive with the pieces around him.
    Last edited by d.m.g.; 07-16-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Lol! I needed a good laugh.

Depending on how well Dak actually plays, yes I can.

By free agency next year we will already know how if there will be a second year impacted by COVID. But if the USA could eventually get a handle on the virus like countries such as Vietnam have already done, the salary cap will go back to normal in 2022 along with a big increase from new TV contracts.

That last contract offer was only done for the media and fans. It's less than Goff's contract and made one year later. If you actually think Dak is a Top 10 or even Top 5 QB you should feel insulted for him.
    Depends on what leaked rumoured contract your talking about. Before Mahomes signed they apparently offered him slightly more then Wilson which would of made him the highest paid player.
    The cowboys usually overpay in these situations so Iím inclined to think Dak overplayed his hand.

He might have. Either way, this is a collosal failure on Jerry's part to secure his franchise QB long term.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    He might have. Either way, this is a collosal failure on Jerry's part to secure his franchise QB long term.
    Totally disagree. It takes two to get a contract done. Dak wants to make sure that heís always at the top of the paid list.
    Dak wanted to wait till after Mahomes signed and the new tv revenue kicks in.

Totally disagree. It takes two to get a contract done. Dak wants to make sure that heís always at the top of the paid list.
    Dak wanted to wait till after Mahomes signed and the new tv revenue kicks in.
    And I'm sure there is number that Dak would have agreed to. By not agreeing to Dak's terms it likely costs them more in the long run. That's a failure in Jerry's part.

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast