Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 564 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    Was hoping we'd make a play for Gallo in the summer. I think with this trade, Miami booked its ticket to the conference finals.
    they didn't get Gallo did they? they tried, ended up with Iggy, Crowder & Hill

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    so now that deadline has come and gone and we got what we said should happen a month ago, time to look at the summer and moves maybe FA.

so guys like Bogs seems to be a keeper in Sac but I'd put it to them and give him a max deal like Dlo got just to make them match.

I'm doubting that Hayward opts out but you never know,

Do we with new FO make a run for Morris, I'd say yes if Randle can someone be traded, why repeat this year next year?

I think there is a real shot at Harris, and I'm also thinking Nets will decide next year between Dinwiddie and LeVert, they will not keep both.

So here we go again lol
    I’ve been all about Bogs, but I wouldn’t max him. That’s too much. Kings just shed some salary next year, so there’s more of a chance they match an offer. But I wonder, what’s the point of capping out to keep together a below .500 team for the foreseeable future

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Think they had some framework in place, but Gallo wasn’t interested in an extension

So sad the Knicks never get the doll of the dance always the Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by trueknickfan View Post
    So sad the Knicks never get the doll of the dance always the Cinderella
    I thought Cinderella was the doll of the dance lol

Who got the prince?

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    I thought Cinderella was the doll of the dance lol

Who got the prince?
    Pretty much

Thompson: The Warriors waved the white flag on D’Angelo Russell

The Warriors sold low on D’Angelo Russell. They cashed him in early — after all they went through to get him — and took what they could get right now. Doing so provides a clearer picture of the move they made in July after Kevin Durant decided to leave.

We know what they lost when they acquired Russell via sign-and-trade in the Durant deal: Warriors legend Andre Iguodala, a first-round pick and all salary-cap flexibility because they were hard-capped by the move and had to get under the line. But it was all part of a grand scheme that would put them back on top. Getting Russell — a 23-year-old All-Star who would be in a max-salary slot — kept them in the hunt for a bigger move later. Doing nothing would have taken them out of the hunt and into salary-cap hell. This season was the step back for the step up, the wilderness for the eventual return to contender status.

In the end, what did they get out of all that?

In Thursday’s agreement to trade Russell to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins, the Warriors also got the Timberwolves’ lightly protected first-round pick in 2021, which many say is a better draft than this year. Undoubtedly, some in the organization are presuming Minnesota won’t make the playoffs next season and that first-rounder will be a lottery pick.

They got repeater-tax relief, which I’m told is a big deal to Warriors ownership — savings upward of $60 million, plus the ability to use the non-taxpayer mid-level exception of about $9.7 million (instead of the taxpayer MLE of $6 million).

And they got Wiggins. You will hear the Warriors say he’s a better fit next to Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. They will tout that the inefficient, never-able-to-win player from Minnesota can really start tapping into his potential with the Warriors, surrounded by champions in a system that fits his skills.

But they got something else. According to multiple team sources, this was part of the reason to pull the trigger: They got rid of Russell.

The Warriors, as much as anything with this move, gave up on Russell. Seven months after they contorted the entire franchise into a pretzel to get him, five months after he showed up to camp, the Warriors abandoned The Russell Project. They were so eager to get rid of him that they are embracing a player considered to be on one of the worst contracts in the league.

Take that as an indictment on Russell, if you want. It doesn’t seem like he did much to instill confidence. He didn’t play defense and disappeared when off the ball. He didn’t instill confidence in the leaders of the franchise that he would figure it out. But it should also be seen as a failure by the Warriors.

They championed him. They said they wanted him as part of their core. And before they even got to see him with their core, they walked away. Which means, at minimum, they completely miscalculated Russell’s fit. It’s early, and you never know how these things turn out. But the Russell experiment must have gone so poorly that the Warriors look like they might have been the ones to blink first in a negotiation with Minnesota.

When’s the last time in the Bob Myers era it felt like the Warriors got swindled in a trade?

There is a sense of relief for some in the organization that the experiment with Russell is over. Some were pining for the Warriors to rip off the Band-Aid and trade him. The experiment didn’t work. But trading him is waving a white flag and calls into question why they even did all of this in the first place.

When the Warriors acquired Russell, behind the scenes they spoke of him as a foundational piece and refuted talk that he was just a trade asset. But most understood him to be a piece they could use to get the real foundational piece. And now he’s with the Timberwolves, who have been pining to get him since July, when they tried to woo him.

Maybe they learned Russell — plus the top-5 pick the Warriors likely will earn this season — wasn’t enough to land them the star they needed to carry them into the future. Now, if a star becomes available next offseason and the Warriors are interested, they seem less equipped to go get that star. It’s all projection, and who knows what the market will be in June. But Russell seems like a more desirable commodity on the market if another team is looking for a young star as compensation.

Without question, there is a lot we don’t know. The Warriors execs are in the rooms, on the phones and have the inside information. So maybe they have reason to believe Wiggins plus their own 2020 pick and the Wolves’ 2021 pick is a better package for this hypothetical scenario in June and July. But Wiggins’ reputation suggests otherwise.

Maybe they believe Wiggins is the best player they can get to add to their championship core. They have clearly concluded Russell wasn’t going to fill that role. Either way, this wasn’t the end anyone expected would justify the means initiated in July.

Critics said immediately Russell wouldn’t fit. The Warriors walked away before that was ever really clear. Klay Thompson still hasn’t returned from injury. Curry broke his hand four games in. Russell ended up filling the role as the primary scorer on the worst team in the league. So they never got to experience what he would be like with Curry, Thompson and Green. While 33 games on a depleted roster is too small a sample size to disprove that analysis, the Warriors clearly saw enough to decide it was time to move on.

The Warriors needed Russell to transition to an off-the-ball player or at least incorporate that skill into his game so he could be effective when Curry had the ball in his hands. That was a struggle, especially without a lot of weapons around him. Teaching him “the Warriors way” proved to be a challenge. He admitted as much.
    “I mean when you’re four, five years in the league, you know what you do,” Russell said in January for a now-shelved Dynasty Interrupted piece. “I never ran off screens and been that guy, so it’s something new. It’s a challenge that I’m willing to accept. I just know what I do — I know what I’m great at versus what I’m alright at. Why not be me? It’s a challenge you have to work with.

“I think being consistent coming off screens,” Russell added, regarding the ways in which he needs to improve off the ball, “and get in better shape to do that. Because … my game, you don’t have to be in the best shape to kind of control the game. So in the summer, I gotta get in better shape because I know that’s going to be something I’ma have to do. So just work on doing that.”

Also an issue, with regards to Russell: He wasn’t available enough. Russell played 33 of the Warriors’ 52 games. He’s 23 years old and they were banking on him getting them through this season. Green, coming off five consecutive Finals runs, has played 39 games.

The relationship between Russell and the Warriors just slowly became more and more frustrating. There were no known signs of turmoil and friction. But there was murmuring after Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III were traded on Wednesday night and Russell wasn’t.

It was probably mutual. Russell’s entire Warriors experience was under the cloud of him being traded again. He didn’t know when or where. He chose the Warriors and their max-contract offer and it was unclear if he was just a pawn in their game of chess. He recently talked about just wanting to be able to unpack his bags and get settled.

Everything changed when Curry broke his left hand back in October. After that, the Warriors were essentially asking Russell to be a substitute Curry and guide the franchise through this dark period — which is challenging the 17-win Warriors of 2000-01 for the worst season in franchise history. But they wanted Russell to do so while learning how to change his game and with the understanding he might not even be around by the February trade deadline. Which he wasn’t.

Perhaps it is wise for them to know when to move on. Many franchises have been doomed by doubling down instead of cutting their losses. And a strong case could be made that the 2021 pick they got from Minnesota is better than what they could’ve gotten now or later. So caving on their reported demands for this year’s unprotected Timberwolves pick wasn’t a complete loss if they get a high pick in a better draft. And maybe the Warriors will be right to like Wiggins — a 24-year-old, 6-foot-7, 194-pound athlete with some bankable skills — as a better project for their team and their needs.

But it all means they were wrong about Russell. And that means it’s fair to question if they are right about this.
    https://theathletic.com/1589139/2020...e&redirected=1

Something to think about...

So gsw wanted mitch a unprotected first and cap relief but settled for wiggins and a protected first something aint adding up here

Quote Originally Posted by east fb knicks View Post
    So gsw wanted mitch a unprotected first and cap relief but settled for wiggins and a protected first something aint adding up here
    That article suggests that they wanted to get rid of Russell more than anything. It wasn't working out for whatever reason and they gave up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Some still keep blaming us for not signing him this summer. Even if we were trying, we would've been competing with GS.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Yeah I guess not - It wasn't very clear, I read somewhere that he wasn't interested in the extension. Which I think is a great sign that he wants to hit UFA. And with the season he's having who can blame him. I'd love to add him, perfect stretch 4. Him, Harrell, and Harris are on my list.

What do you think he commands, I think i might want him more than others.

Some still keep blaming us for not signing him this summer. Even if we were trying, we would've been competing with GS.
    Good player, but not crying over him and there seems to be some issues.

Now it says there was no market for DLo only offers were Minny and NY. Obviously NY did not really want him. I am actually glad we can get our PG in this draft.

Again this is pretty clear, and my thoughts now are if the Knicks wanted Dlo that badly they'd have him based on what GS got back.

I'm not buying they took the worst contract in the league just to unload him then asked the Knicks for the world.

Here is a question, isn't an expiring with a team option for next year better than Wiggins and his contract?

We could have given them our 2021 same protection so with the new lottery lets even call that even. They could have had Fran who only has one year left on his contract and Portis who I think brings a lot more to fit in GS and saved even more this year in lux and a heck of a lot more I the future.

so my take, Knicks with new people giving advise walked away, and GS was left with it's only option maybe the worst contract in the league.........

And I'm confused by the article, how is it now easy if a superstar becomes available that team is just going to take Wiggins and a 2021 pick and their late pick?

I think based on AD, PG13 etc that isn't getting it done..........GS in my opinion blew it and the Knicks backed out of all negotiations, keeping all their picks and young players.

Now if Minny don't win, who gets the blame?

Quote Originally Posted by cssdmark View Post
    Now it says there was no market for DLo only offers were Minny and NY. Obviously NY did not really want him. I am actually glad we can get our PG in this draft.
    I wanted him but only for Dallas picks, Frank and Portis...........any more good luck with Wiggins. I think someone in GS should have asked Butler how he felt playing with him, Wait till Curry, Dray, and Klay get on the court with him.

funny thing in here all we read was yea we will eat wiggins contract and take Towns lol.........