Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your favorite book? When did you read it?

The books that made the most impact on me are pretty straightforward and I read when I was younger. I am having trouble thinking of what impacted me most after 30 lol

anyway here is my list

Where the Red Fern Grows. I think I read this at about 10 when my undying love for dogs was just starting

Stranger in a strange land. This I read as a teen when I was in the phase where you are just starting to question everything. Great book for that

To Kill a Mockingbird. I think I read this for the first time as a freshmen in college and I read it about 100 times b/t the age of 17 and 20.

The first 3 books of King's Dark Tower series and the Stand also blew my mind and were read in my early teens.

Ghost Stories The Story of London most terrifying epidemic. Is a non fiction that stands out as something I read and was blown away by as an adult

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

VALIS by Philip K. Dick comes to mind. Read it while on vacation in Costa Rica (solo for this leg of the trip) around a decade ago. **** was trippy af. Had me feeling like I was on drugs and kinda questioning reality.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

My favorite book and the one I can always re-read is 1984 by George Orwell.

As a kid, I very much enjoyed Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

I also very much enjoyed The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

My favorite: 1984
    When I read it: somewhere around 1985 or 86

After I posted this, I saw that 1984 was also the winner in the post right above mine. Imagine the odds! {LOL}

To Kill a Mockingbird
    Harry Cat's Pet Puppy (I wrote like 10 book reports on this guy)
    Brotherhood of the Rose

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

The War of the End of the World - By Mario Vargas Llosa.
    Read it about 10 years ago and is the one book Iíll recommend to anybody. Great characters that I ended up caring for quite a bit.

The Alchemist - By Paulo Coehlo
    Read it about 8 years ago, some people have said is a life changing book, I would not go that far, but itís a story that always has stuck with me.

One Day of Life - By Manlio Argueta
    This book has made me cry the three times I have read it, is because it hits close to home and is set in the time of the Salvadoran civil war. Read it when I was about 12, then again in my 20ís and later in my 30ís.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold - By Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Most have read 100 years of solitude which was amazing, but my personal favorite is this one, really angered me when I read it, such a frustrating novela.

A Storm of Swords - By GRRM
    Of all the GOT books that one was the best, the one that got me so upset that I had to stop reading it for about 2 weeks. Read it about 10 years ago as well.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X with Alex Haley

The evolution of a man from being a street hood, to being involved in a racist religious group, to his break from them and overcoming his hatred for whites. He was the second most influential civil right leader after MLK and seen as the major influence on the northern counterpart to SCLC. He was the bad cop to King's good cop to the establishment. 14 years old suggested by my Sunday school teacher

The People 's History of the United States by Howard Zinn twenty-six or twenty-eight years old suggested by librarian

Tells history from the common man viewpoint instead of the power brokers, and the elites. Shape my political views and saw how all us peons are in the same boat. Encourage my bad habit to protest for change.

The Teaching of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda 18 to 20 years old a name dropped over a campfire

Whether it is fictional or true, it tells a story of a college student studying under a Mexican Indian shaman. First in a series that some consider new age philosophy. Led me to meditation, which I still do. Yoga, let it slide and lucid dreaming which ended my occasional nightmares.

George RR Martin's first three books in the Song of Ice and Fire series (Games of Thrones) in my fifties' browsing for something to read

Great read, not your traditional fantasy books. Shame it dropped off in the later books as if he couldn't find his way to the end. Love good escapist sci-fic and fantasy book.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Empire books in my sixties browsing again.

If you love Martin's stuff, you will like Erikson's book. Great world builder, great pacing, the characters are a little shallow, but his storytelling covers all sins. Swords, sorcery and fallen gods.

I could go on and cover more interests, but I will keep to the major ones that had me begging for more.

Oh, yeah, the early 60's' comic books which started my massive appetite to read and interest in art. I wish I have kept them for they are worth megabucks now. five or six years old.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-14-2020 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    My favorite book and the one I can always re-read is 1984 by George Orwell.

As a kid, I very much enjoyed Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

I also very much enjoyed The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.
    Read everyone and enjoy them. Asimov and Clarke were first early favorite old school writers, Card in adult years and found Haldeman late in life. Clifford D. Simak is another old school writer you might like, The City. David Brin, a later writer similar to them, wrote the Uplift series about biologically upgrading animals' mental capabilities. Dean Koontz's Watchers is similar to those books with a horror twist

Card's The Seventh Son was a good alternate history series set in the 1800 America where magic can be as deadly as a musket ball. Strong native American, escaped slaves and pioneers presence in the series. The escape slave hunters were a deadly force.

Some of these books might be out of print like maybe Simak, who add social insight into the human condition in his works.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-14-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    VALIS by Philip K. Dick comes to mind. Read it while on vacation in Costa Rica (solo for this leg of the trip) around a decade ago. **** was trippy af. Had me feeling like I was on drugs and kinda questioning reality.
    In real life, Dick was a trippy dude. A few of his writing became top-notch sci-fi movies.

The Sellout by Paul Beatty, or anything by Kazuo Ishiguro
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    In real life, Dick was a trippy dude. A few of his writing became top-notch sci-fi movies.
    Yup. Fairly familiar with him, his story, and the movie adaptations. Dude was living off cat/dog food for a bit he was so poor. I believe VALIS was based off his own life. I don't think he really got the critical acclaim until after he died as publishers didn't know how to market his books and sci-fi wasn't an especially respected genre.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

love the sword of truth books as my all time favorites... as in now most steven king books i am good with... for my child hood it would be puss n boots and all goosebumps books lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    The Autobiography of Malcolm X with Alex Haley.
    Yes! This book had a big impact on me.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Was also a huge fan of The Indian in Cupboard growing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I was a indian in the cupboard fan. I think I ****ed with the movie tho, not the book
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast