Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 136 to 145 of 145
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    They've been one of the expected favorites basically every year for the last 5-8 years...The dodgers aren't the favorite right now, that's probably the Yankees.
    The dodgers weren't the odd's on fave every year the last 7 years...maybe to win their division, and even then there were some years in 2013-2014 where people were betting on the Giants to win the division.

    For example, in 2015 the Dodgers were among the favorites, but the projected favorite was the Nats, and for good reason, they had led the league in wins the previous year, then added Max Scherzer in the offseason.
    https://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-2015-sea...totals-1870940
    Do you all understand how sportsbook work and how the house adjusts lines? They make a futures bet then adjust the bets based on the action they are getting, this differs from each book based on the bets they receive.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    So if the Sox sign Mookie we lose a draft pick? If that is true then we have Mookie, Verdugo 5 years of team control , Downs 6 years of team control, and Wong 6 I years of team control I think. BUT if we had extended Mookie we would have Mookie and a draft pick who wouldn't see the majors (if it pans out) for more than likely 3+ years?

    It's obvious the Sox made the right decision for the future of this franchise.

    NL team could trade for JD during a run at the playoffs and extend him for 2 more years at the same AAV, you think JD would turn that down? JD can play a little LF too, it's not great but there are teams out there who will take a hit defensively for his presence in the lineup.
    No, you wouldn't gain a draft pick if you had extended him, you just don't lose one if you sign him.

    The way it works, is if you sign a free agent who has recieved and declined a qualifying offer you lose a draft pick and the team that he left gains a pick between the 2nd and 3rd round...unless that team was over the luxury cap, then it's a pick between the 4th and 5th round.

    So if the Redsox had kept mookie for the season and didn't reset the luxury cap and then lost him in free agency, they would have only received a 4th round pick for him.
    Yeah I guess, but then you don't have to risk losing him for good, which currently he looks like he might be gone for good. Very few teams bring back STAR players they sign in free agency.

    JD isn't just "not good defensively" he was the worst defensive OF multiple years in a row before he started DH'ing he's a total liability, the only way an NL team trades for him is if they really believe the DH is coming, AND that he won't opt out. Otherwise, I don't see him going anywhere.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    432

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    No, you wouldn't gain a draft pick if you had extended him, you just don't lose one if you sign him.

    The way it works, is if you sign a free agent who has recieved and declined a qualifying offer you lose a draft pick and the team that he left gains a pick between the 2nd and 3rd round...unless that team was over the luxury cap, then it's a pick between the 4th and 5th round.

    So if the Redsox had kept mookie for the season and didn't reset the luxury cap and then lost him in free agency, they would have only received a 4th round pick for him.
    Yeah I guess, but then you don't have to risk losing him for good, which currently he looks like he might be gone for good. Very few teams bring back STAR players they sign in free agency.

    JD isn't just "not good defensively" he was the worst defensive OF multiple years in a row before he started DH'ing he's a total liability, the only way an NL team trades for him is if they really believe the DH is coming, AND that he won't opt out. Otherwise, I don't see him going anywhere.
    We would have lost a high draft pick because we'd be over the luxury tax threshold for the 3rd year in a row.

    Are you going to provide the stats of JD being the worst defensive OF multiple years in a row before starting to full time at DH? Don't forget Arizona traded for JD
    Last edited by poppapuh86; 02-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    We would have lost a high draft pick because we'd be over the luxury tax threshold for the 3rd year in a row.

    Are you going to provide the stats of JD being the worst defensive OF multiple years in a row before starting to full time at DH? Don't forget Arizona traded for JD
    Both UZR and DRS had him among the worst OF in baseball the last two years he still played there, and while yes the DBacks traded for him to play the OF, that was more than 2 years ago, he's older and a little slower now than he was then.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    432
    Again, where are your stats? You've changed your tune from he's the worst OF defensively to among the worst OF defensively.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    21,284
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    He's 27. Won't be 28 until October. You say he's two years older like he's 30+.
    I didn’t say anything like anything.

    I just said he would be two years older, which likely means that he wont get more than a 10 year contract.

    I see Mookie getting 10/350.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    Again, where are your stats? You've changed your tune from he's the worst OF defensively to among the worst OF defensively.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=13,a

    According to DRS he was the 4th worst OF in baseball from 2016-2017

    According to UZR and UZR/150, he was the WORST
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=24,a

    These were the last two years he regularly played in the OF.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=13,a

    According to DRS he was the 4th worst OF in baseball from 2016-2017

    According to UZR and UZR/150, he was the WORST
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=24,a

    These were the last two years he regularly played in the OF.
    Not bad. So where does he rank overall for OF when including batting? Since a NL wouldn't just trade for him as a defensive OF

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    Not bad. So where does he rank overall for OF when including batting? Since a NL wouldn't just trade for him as a defensive OF
    Combining both, you could look at his war, and he was a good enough hitter to still be a positive overall contributor, but his defense brought down his value a lot.
    Since he has no defensive versatility, and there is no DH in the league...I'd say it's highly unlikely an NL team trades for him, since...where do you play him?

  10. #145
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    47,830
    MLBTR writers discuss the COVID-19 implications of the Betts deal:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •