Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 NFL HOF Modern Era Class

So far we know:

OUT - Boselli, Lynch, Butler, Thomas, Seymore, Faneca

IN - Atwater, James, Polamalu, Bruce, Hutchinson
    Last edited by warfelg; 02-01-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Sounds like Edgerrain James is in.

Serious question. Can someone make the case for Atwater over butler? The started basicslly the same number of games. Atwater made a bunch more tackles and was 8-4 in pro bowls. But butler had 14 more picks, 15 more sacks, forced 7 more fumbles and recovered 1 more. Butler also led 4-2 in all pro teams. Both were the all decade team as the safeties.

Maybe im just more biased because I'm a packers fan, but give me the impact plays like sacks, picks and FF over tackles any day and all pros mean a heck of alot more than pro bowls to me.

Looks like Atwater, Bruce, Polamalu, James plus one other.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

LOL at Steve Hutchinson getting in before Alan Faneca.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Serious question. Can someone make the case for Atwater over butler? The started basicslly the same number of games.
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    LOL at Steve Hutchinson getting in before Alan Faneca.
    Butler and Faneca are both gonna make the HOF, chill.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/1223735713587322881

I guess Peter King's "too many Steelers" mantra worked here.
    They just had to add "SB champ" because that's a really important metric for an offensive guard.

Serious question. Can someone make the case for Atwater over butler? The started basicslly the same number of games. Atwater made a bunch more tackles and was 8-4 in pro bowls. But butler had 14 more picks, 15 more sacks, forced 7 more fumbles and recovered 1 more. Butler also led 4-2 in all pro teams. Both were the all decade team as the safeties.

Maybe im just more biased because I'm a packers fan, but give me the impact plays like sacks, picks and FF over tackles any day and all pros mean a heck of alot more than pro bowls to me.
    "A bunch more tackles" is a massive understatement and shows your bias lol. Atwater had 300 more tackles than Butler and he played 1 fewer year. To put it in perspective, Atwater averaged nearly 2 tackles more per game started. Not to mention that he was involved in one of the iconic plays in the Super Bowl.

My early picks for 2021....

Peyton Manning
    Alan Faneca
    Charles Woodson
    Torry Holt
    John Lynch

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    "A bunch more tackles" is a massive understatement and shows your bias lol. Atwater had 300 more tackles than Butler and he played 1 fewer year. To put it in perspective, Atwater averaged nearly 2 tackles more per game started. Not to mention that he was involved in one of the iconic plays in the Super Bowl.
    Couple points. Butler played 1more year but they started essentially the same number of games. Atwater actually started 1 more.

Also, where are you pulling your tackles stats from? If it's pro football reference, then you should read their fine print. First off, their tackles stat is an estimation. Secondly, they use 1 source for all tackle stats since 1994. Prior to that, tackle stats are compiled from various sources. They straight up say pre 1994 stats are less reliable.

If we look at Atwaters stats, pre 1994 he had tackle totals of 129, 173, 150, 151 and 143. When the more reliable tackle stats start, his totals are 74, 103, 81, 68, 55 and 63. The change happened prior to Atwaters age 28 season, so we shouldn't have expected huge age related decline. He played 2 less games that year but had half as many tackles. Prior to the stat collection method change, Atwater averaged close to 150 tackles per year. After the change, he exceeded 100 tackles once. Something tells me those stats aren't super reliable.

Butlers pre 94 numbers were 19, 63, 74, 90. His post 1994 numbers were 63, 102, 87, 103, 89, 63, 102 and 40. Butler clearly didn't get the same pre 1994 benefit.

So Atwaters advantage is in the most unreliable stat. The years the stat uses the same data source, Atwater and butler are similar in that stat. Add in butler averaged 2 more forced turnovers and 1 more sack per year and it shouldn't even really be close.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    if Atwater gets in because of "iconic play in the Super Bowl" than Butler needs to be in for being the inventor of the Lambeau Leap

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    if Atwater gets in because of "iconic play in the Super Bowl" than Butler needs to be in for being the inventor of the Lambeau Leap
    I've said that Butler should get in lol...I have a problem when people say that Butler should have gotten in before Atwater though. It easily could have gone either way for either player and it wouldn't have been wrong.

Couple points. Butler played 1more year but they started essentially the same number of games. Atwater actually started 1 more.

Also, where are you pulling your tackles stats from? If it's pro football reference, then you should read their fine print. First off, their tackles stat is an estimation. Secondly, they use 1 source for all tackle stats since 1994. Prior to that, tackle stats are compiled from various sources. They straight up say pre 1994 stats are less reliable.

If we look at Atwaters stats, pre 1994 he had tackle totals of 129, 173, 150, 151 and 143. When the more reliable tackle stats start, his totals are 74, 103, 81, 68, 55 and 63. The change happened prior to Atwaters age 28 season, so we shouldn't have expected huge age related decline. He played 2 less games that year but had half as many tackles. Prior to the stat collection method change, Atwater averaged close to 150 tackles per year. After the change, he exceeded 100 tackles once. Something tells me those stats aren't super reliable.

Butlers pre 94 numbers were 19, 63, 74, 90. His post 1994 numbers were 63, 102, 87, 103, 89, 63, 102 and 40. Butler clearly didn't get the same pre 1994 benefit.

So Atwaters advantage is in the most unreliable stat. The years the stat uses the same data source, Atwater and butler are similar in that stat. Add in butler averaged 2 more forced turnovers and 1 more sack per year and it shouldn't even really be close.
    It's not that deep man... You're trying way too hard to discredit Atwater to prop your own guy up. All this typing you did would have been great if they were somewhat close in tackles. But there's an astronomically big difference between the two players in this particular stat. Even if PFR isn't 100% accurate it's still pretty reliable. If you take PFR at it's word, Butler would have had to play another 4 seasons to catch up to Atwater's number of tackles. Even if they aren't the most reliable, it would still take, what 3 more years for him to catch up to Atwater?

And your bias rings through once again. You say "Butler clearly didn't get the same pre 1994 benefit" like there's a vendetta against him. Maybe, just maybe, those stats are petty close to what they should be. There's a ton of different reasons that Atwater's numbers could have gone down.

Like I've said. Butler deserves to be in. But to act like he for sure should have gone before Atwater is a joke. Especially when you consider that Atwater has been on the ballot 2 years longer than Butler.

Still too many guys that didn't make it in that are deserving. Not knocking this year's class, but I'm sick of seeing some of the great older players go to their grave without ever getting the call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast