Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    I'm not a Fletcher fan at all. Wasn't a fan of the Braun trade and now that Ghost is healthy who's the odd man out? He seems to make lateral moves. If you aren't really upgrading the roster you don't have to just get rid of draft picks. I'd prefer to just let the young guys play and get experience. Are we really sending Farabee down for these guys or is it just a temporary thing? And if Patrick does come back (I know it's unlikely), who gets sent down?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccanman View Post
    I'm not a Fletcher fan at all. Wasn't a fan of the Braun trade and now that Ghost is healthy who's the odd man out? He seems to make lateral moves. If you aren't really upgrading the roster you don't have to just get rid of draft picks. I'd prefer to just let the young guys play and get experience. Are we really sending Farabee down for these guys or is it just a temporary thing? And if Patrick does come back (I know it's unlikely), who gets sent down?
    I'd expect that Bunnaman is the odd man out presently.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Hurricanes got a lot better. Iím thoroughly unimpressed with Fletcher.
    Castan, you are being laughably negative lately. I agree with you on some things but how can you knock a guy who literally made the changes that have us in 3rd in the most competitive division in hockey with only being 3 points from the frickin Caps? I'm not doubting him at all right now.

That said, I question the Nate Thompson addition but read that he is a great locker room guy. Come playoff time, that is pretty valuable.

I do like/love (kinda in between here) the Derek Grant addition. I think he will be a valuable piece for us to be honest.

These guys are rental players. We really may not have space to bring in completely new guys that will stay. Next year we are likely to have both Lindblom and Patrick back. Those are two HUGE pieces for 2021. We are also likely to have Frost up permanently. That's another rather big piece...With those three into the mix and the possibility of other guys making the team like Allison or Ratcliffe, we are looking at full roster unless we unload a pretty big name.

28-14-11
    48-13-93
    49-19-23
    12-21-62

That's a solid 4 lines. Our identity is that we are a team competitive now and getting younger while doing so. We can win a ton of games with that lineup....Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccanman View Post
    I think Farabee was only sent down because today was the AHL's deadline for something. Sending him down for the deadline makes him eligible to play in the AHL again this year (just a paper move). That means after the season is over, he could possibly make a playoff run with the Phantoms if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    The hurricanes were in a spot where key pieces got hurt and either had to sell the future or waive the white flag. They elected to sell their future.

The flyers are in a different spot.
    This was actually good news for the Flyers. I think the Canes end up getting knocked out in the first round regardless of who the play. The Flyers have made statements against everyone in the Met and pretty much all of the top teams.

Carolina might have just placed themselves into a W2 spot playing either Boston or Tampa. Philly is starting to become a team that nobody wants to face. At the least we will be entertained come playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Castan, you are being laughably negative lately.
    I think he's just a bias for action. He wants something to be excited about, and is frustrated when he doesn't get it. Let's be real, we haven't had much to be excited about in a long time. Hexy plodded along. Castan's been hoping against hope for a move to get excited about and didn't get one. I personally try to remember back to all those cups we won with Clarke as the GM when we took a shot at it every year and brought in big name guys. I think we're doing things more or less the right way now. We're improving, slowly. Life will be better once Ovechkin and Crosby are gone.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

we just have to hope farabee comes back soon. I don't want grant and thomspon in and farabee out. Ideall all three of them are here and it pushes grant/thompson down more. Right now, to me, raffl and thompson should be rotating in and out for who is a better 4c. Laughton is a better winger, i think we can all agree there. Pitlick and nak are playing too well to even move them out of the lineup:

g-couts-voracek/tk
    farabee-hayes-voracek/tk
    jvr-grant-laughton
    pitlick-raffl/thompson-nak

right now this is the lineup they want to roll with:

g-couts-voracek/tk
    grant/raffl-hayes-voracek/tk
    jvr-laughton-pitlick
    grant/raffl-thompson-nak

not ok with that but fully expect the first lineup come playoff time

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    again, i think it's important to understand the specifics of patrick's recovery path. before he can return to game action, he needs to vigorously exercise over consecutive days, without any adverse reactions.

now, because he has not been cleared to return to game action, it is safe to assume that he has also not been able to exercise at a vigorous level, for at least the last 4 months.

that means that even when patrick is cleared to return by the medical staff, he'll still need to:

-- get in shape.
    -- knock off the rust from not playing
    -- get up to game speed

that's a big ask.
    we do have basically 2 months left until playoffs (really 3 weeks and a full month of march). He would have to get cleared for practise too but if can get 1 month and a half action there he can make it possibly. He just has to get there asap lol and we have to go deeper in the playoffs for him to get a more realistic shot

How can you possibly infer that? Fletcherís price could have been too high ... you have no idea

Iím shocked trocheckís value was so low. That is a definitive statement.
    The flyers trading for two forwards+ghost comments+trochek trade package tells me that ghosts value is in the cellar right now.

If it wasn't I would assume Trochek would be wearing orange and black today. He's a better version of what they traded for.

At a minimum Fletcher values ghost much higher than today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    The flyers trading for two forwards+ghost comments+trochek trade package tells me that ghosts value is in the cellar right now.

If it wasn't I would assume Trochek would be wearing orange and black today. He's a better version of what they traded for.

At a minimum Fletcher values ghost much higher than today's market.
    Itís all conjecture, maybe he turned down just Trocheck for ghost, we donít know and wonít know. That would be stupid to have done, but based on the moves today, maybe he did do that. Unless something leaks, we wonít know. To say it definitively is just an assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    we just have to hope farabee comes back soon. I don't want grant and thomspon in and farabee out. Ideall all three of them are here and it pushes grant/thompson down more. Right now, to me, raffl and thompson should be rotating in and out for who is a better 4c. Laughton is a better winger, i think we can all agree there. Pitlick and nak are playing too well to even move them out of the lineup:

g-couts-voracek/tk
    farabee-hayes-voracek/tk
    jvr-grant-laughton
    pitlick-raffl/thompson-nak

right now this is the lineup they want to roll with:

g-couts-voracek/tk
    grant/raffl-hayes-voracek/tk
    jvr-laughton-pitlick
    grant/raffl-thompson-nak

not ok with that but fully expect the first lineup come playoff time
    Not 100% sure that Laughton is a better winger than center today. I think that used to be true. Not sure now.

As far as farabee goes, the kid has a fantastic future and will likely get back into the mix down the stretch. That said the most talented guys aren't always the most effective. I wanna see how Grant assimilates over the next few games before I start griping about Joel being out.

Why is anyone getting upset about giving up a 4th and 5th Rd pick for a couple 4th line centers? I mean the odds say we will get more run out of these guys down the stretch than the combined value of the picks. It's fine. It's underwhelming, but it's fine. Some insurance in case of injury when you paid next to nothing is fine.

Now for the bigger issue, I'm not happy that Carolina was able to load up the way they did while the Flyers didn't do much. The Canes had cap and assets, but it's still frustrating. Pageau I care less about bc that's a hilariously bad contract and a high price to pay for a bottom 6 caliber center. Crosby gets his favorite shill back. It's gonna be a rough road down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Why is anyone getting upset about giving up a 4th and 5th Rd pick for a couple 4th line centers? I mean the odds say we will get more run out of these guys down the stretch than the combined value of the picks. It's fine. It's underwhelming, but it's fine. Some insurance in case of injury when you paid next to nothing is fine.

Now for the bigger issue, I'm not happy that Carolina was able to load up the way they did while the Flyers didn't do much. The Canes had cap and assets, but it's still frustrating. Pageau I care less about bc that's a hilariously bad contract and a high price to pay for a bottom 6 caliber center. Crosby gets his favorite shill back. It's gonna be a rough road down the stretch.
    I think you nailed why people are upset with the second paragraph. The picks are virtually irrelevant. It's the moves everyone else did. The difference is they needed to make bigger moves.

The other issue is whether or not these two guys prove to be
    1. Upgrades
    2. Lateral moves
    3. Downgrades that play
    4. Depth pieces

Personally I hope its 1 or 4.

I've made no bones about it, don't like Chuck Fletcher much at all. With that said, no qualms with how today went. The Flyers are in a no bueno cap situation to begin with...so almost anything they had to do had to be small. I'm glad they didn't trade Ghost. Think he's a far better player than he's shown this year, think selling short on him is a bad idea (it allows the Flyers to let Braun go silently into the night in the offsason, while allowing, hopefully, Myers and Ghost to take spots on the blue line next year, relegating Hagg).

They didn't get a ton (bottom-6 line guys), but at least both offer options as PK'ers, don't require any O-Zone time, are on one year deals, and the Flyers didn't give up anything. Team is situated to fight for the 3rd spot in the Metro the rest of the year. Sneaky suspicion is they still end up as a WC, but they're not in a bad spot for the season.

I'm not super excited about a lot of things Fletcher has done overall (some have worked out better than I thought, like Niskanen, some have been pretty unfun, like Justin Braun, and I think we have some time to really decipher if Hayes needed 7 years or not - he's been a pretty solid player, but I remain a little iffy with mediocre possession numbers and it's questionable he keeps up scoring short handed as often as he has) but I can't complain with the deadline. This was fine today with the trades if they both settle in on the bottom.

Itís all conjecture, maybe he turned down just Trocheck for ghost, we donít know and wonít know. That would be stupid to have done, but based on the moves today, maybe he did do that. Unless something leaks, we wonít know. To say it definitively is just an assumption.
    his value is in the toilet like i stated just admit you didnt have a clue and move along.

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast