Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    That GIF is devastating. Still reeling from it this morning, and Kobe is probably among my 5 most hated athletes of all-time. It's so strange the connection you feel to guys you grow up loathing in sports. Since he and Duncan retired (also among my most-loathed), the league has felt a little emptier to me. For him to not even just be retired, but to no longer be aliveóit just sucks.

I couldn't stop myself from watching Kobe highlights on Youtube last night and just being in awe of the guy all over again. And I listened to Simmons' podcast this morning on my way into work. Going back through his career all over again is cool, but I wished it had happened under different circumstances...
    I know how you feel man. You're a "closet fan" too.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    First Bolded: Yes. If a Top 5-10 all-time player died in such a tragic circumstance I would be saying the same thing. If Peyton Manning died in a helicopter crash tomorrow I would be saying the league should retire his #.

Second Bolded: Caron Butler? Because he was nowhere near Kobe Bryant as a player, figure, or important piece of basketball history. They aren't even in the same stratosphere.

Third Bolded: Except changing the logo is disrespecting another player (Jerry West) by taking that away from him.

You still don't seem to get it, it's not because he was a great player, it's because he was both a great player and died tragically. Think of it as a venn diagram. On one side you have "players who are great" and it has Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Shaq, etc. On the other side you have "players who died tragically at an early age" and it has players like Caron Butler, Pete Maravich, etc. Then in the middle where they converge you have "players who are great" and "players who died tragically". Is there anyone else in that middle ground besides Kobe?
    Yet, my issue is, dying tragically and young, while being a huge legend, is rare. Yet, the issue around retiring a jersey, is that it opens up discussions that majority of sports fans don't want. Only one's really comparable are Gehrig (died at 37, 2 years after retiring. Considered, at the time, a top 5 player of all time, minimum). Payton (died 12 years after retirement, but was still only 45. Considered a top 5 all time player at the time). Clemente (died age 38, while still playing. Considered the first Latin American superstar). All three have accolades named after them, which is appropriate. Awards, maybe even stadiums or arenas, patches at absolute minimum. However, none have retired jerseys.

On a side note, another massive issue is how to honor Gianna? I would like the League to do something for her too.

Retiring Kobe's jerseys, while sounding great, just unfortunately opens a new can of worms. If he died in his career, in his last year for example, it would make a little more sense. However, he was retired. If he hadn't died, no one is talking about it. This whole issue of retiring jerseys for tragic reasons only, is a personal thing. I would rather see his legacy honored in a more visible way, personally, while also avoiding issues surrounding it becoming a debate whenever a player considered a top 5 player dies. Because, as tragic as Kobe's death is, every death is tragic in some way. Whether to a family, the city they adopted or adopted them, and the League they played in. A big example is Hank Aaron. When he passes, it will be a huge story, despite his age. The MLB won't retire his jersey number, because then people will ask why not Ruth? Why not Clemente? Why not Mantle? etc etc.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

IMO, every team should have one player wearing #24 with Bryant on the back...
    Last edited by Forever35; 01-27-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

For me being around for some time, this is the 3rd unbelievable sports story...

In chronological order...:

1- Magic Johnson announcing he has contracted AIDS...
    2- Watching Mike Tyson get knocked out from the ring...
    3- Kobe Bryant tragically passing...
    Last edited by Forever35; 01-27-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    I thought about this as well, even for just the All Star game but how would the refs call fouls?

Player's by decades starting in the 70's who changed the way the game is played during those decades...

70's Dr. J...
    80's MJ...
    90's Kobe...
    00's LeBron...

For those who say Kobe's passing will leave a hole, that's what I think will affect how the 90's was looked upon...

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    I thought about this as well, even for just the All Star game but how would the refs call fouls?
    Let's say it's C's against LA... "24 green" or "24 purple" I guess...

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Now we are getting into cross sport arguments into who is a better player? This is getting ridiculous. I would argue that Roy Halladay was just as good a pitcher in his era and Junior Seau was just as good a MLB that Kobe was a SG in the NBA. Basketball is just more of an individual sport than baseball and football are presently. Kobe has more fame/celebrity than any of those guys perhaps. But celebrity shouldnít change sports.
    Roy Halladay and Junior Seau are considered top 10 Baseball and Football players all time? Thatís the only ridiculous thing said here.

No disrespect to either of those players, but they were nowhere near as iconic to their sports as Kobe was to his. Like, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Roy Halladay and Junior Seau are considered top 10 Baseball and Football players all time? Thatís the only ridiculous thing said here.

No disrespect to either of those players, but they were nowhere near as iconic to their sports as Kobe was to his. Like, not even close.
    Not being a wise *****, but maybe this thread shouldn't have nonsense arguments... Each has his own opinions...

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Yeah, to piggyback off of this, I have kind of a similar take on the whole "jersey retirement" thing.

Kobe inspired an entire generation of kids to watch and play basketball. How many closets worldwide have a Kobe jersey hanging in them? I think about all the guys who wanted to wear MJ's number or wear a number that had something to do with MJ (like Lebron).

Certain numbers have an iconic meaning. Why retire that number when every kid wants to wear that number growing up? Don't retire it. Let kids who adore Kobe wear that number in pride and honor him by choosing it when they get to the NBA. To me, that's a way better way to honor the manólet players wear it proudly and acknowledge their love and respect of his game.

Edit: Another example I just thought of is the No. 34 in Houston. It was worn by three all-time great Houston sports legends: Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan and Hakeem Olajuwon. If I was a kid from Houston who grew up and made it professionally, I would love to wear that number because of its significance to me and where I come from.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 01-27-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I care about Kobe as a fan of the NBA. I have no hate for him at all, and I've said GLOWING things about him in this thread several times.

I'm not telling people not to be upset. I've never come close to it.
    You are telling people they are wrong for thinking he should be honored in a certain way. You are telling people that are way more invested in Kobe than you are that he shouldnít get a certain honor because itís the way you feel. Again, itís like telling a mother who lost there kid that a kid doesnít deserve an honor you donít believe in

Let's not forget that Kobe did have two jersey numbers...

Let the captain or player who wants to represent #24 each season...

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    You are telling people they are wrong for thinking he should be honored in a certain way. You are telling people that are way more invested in Kobe than you are that he shouldnít get a certain honor because itís the way you feel. Again, itís like telling a mother who lost there kid that a kid doesnít deserve an honor you donít believe in
    I'm the one arguing now, but tit for tat posts do no justice to this thread IMO...

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, to piggyback off of this, I have kind of a similar take on the whole "jersey retirement" thing.

Kobe inspired an entire generation of kids to watch and play basketball. How many closets worldwide have a Kobe jersey hanging in them? I think about all the guys who wanted to wear MJ's number or wear a number that had something to do with MJ (like Lebron).

Certain numbers have an iconic meaning. Why retire that number when every kid wants to wear that number growing up? Don't retire it. Let kids who adore Kobe wear that number in pride and honor him by choosing it when they get to the NBA. To me, that's a way better way to honor the manólet players wear it proudly and acknowledge their love and respect of his game.
    Exactly. I kind of feel like retiring his jersey number, in a weird way almost confines him to history. When in actuality, the opposite needs to be the case. We still havent seen the full amount of future NBA stars influenced by him in the League, and seeing those wearing 24 would be iconic. Possibly an even better idea, everyone who wears number 24 has a patch on the back of the jersey honoring him? Or his name within the numbers? I dont know, i'm sure theres a way it can be done to not only wear his number, but have a tribute on said jerseys?

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yeah, I know ... it's just that it's different when someone dies suddenly when they are still active than after they have stopped. The list of entertainers who retired then died in an accident is REALLY long.
    I think your really missing the boat. Itís not about playing or not. Itís about the effect it has in the invested party/fans. Point is if you ainít crying, you donít go out of your way to tell the people who are crying why he shouldnít be honored in the way they feel he should be.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast