Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Changing the logo to Kobe is dumb, retiring his daughters jersey makes no sense at all... she didn't play in the NBA... might as well retire every persons jersey in that chopper.
    Last edited by Bosston; 01-27-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Agree with all of your comments in this thread. Just yesterday, Trae Young wore #8. The kid scored 45 (Trump?) points efficiently.

My gut reaction is that games should be played on January 25. Teams can do tribute videos before the game, at half time, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    No, I'm not. They can think and feel anything they want. I think that I feel that I don't want the NBA to retire his number.

What would LeBron do if the NBA retired 23, but not for him? I like the idea that future players will want to wear 8 and 24 because of Kobe ... what better honor is there than that???

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    For me I think it's over the top, and I want future players to be allowed to honor him by wearing his number. Jordan can't be honored more than having LeBron wear his number. If either or both were to die in an accident I wouldn't want 23 retired either. The Lakers retiring the number totally makes sense, just as the Cavs/Heat/Lakers retiring 23 may make sense for LeBron, but league wide, I'd rather they not.
    I get your logic but at the same time, shouldn't teams then not be retiring numbers of players because that prohibits anyone on that team from honoring that player? If LeBron James wearing 23 is a nice way to honor Michael Jordan, then the next superstar of that team wanting to wear Jordan's number would also be a nice way to honor him, yet they won't get that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Again you are arbitrarily assigning value to people’s lives and impact based on when they died and their method of death. Basically what you are saying is the top 25 players in NFL history should have their numbers retired league wide if they die in a manner/time you deem appropriate? Why can’t we just leave Kobe’s legacy for what he would have wanted? Which is for how he played the game instead of the horrific way he died.
    All of this is arbitrary. Why are you commenting on this death now and not the death of Robert Archibald, former NBA player who played 44 games and died 2 days ago? How impactful they were to the league, the game, and everyone absolutely has an effect on how society treats their death and honors them. There's a reason there were millions of social media posts when Prince died and multiple events honoring him (including the Grammy's) but there wasn't nearly that kind of response when David Olney died. Yet David Olney was a respected and accomplished singer/songwriter whose career spanned longer than Prince's.

Now, Prince's life is not more valuable than Olney's, and Kobe's is not more valuable than Archibald's. But you are kidding yourself if you don't think their impact on society and their sport matters. Otherwise, you are pretty much a hypocrite if you were fine with the NBA honoring Kobe's death last night but aren't outraged they didn't honor Archibald's death the same way. Because after all, that would be arbitrarily assigning value on people's lives and impact.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    You think both players are right up there, but speaking more to Seau specifically since I know football better than baseball, he is not considered a top 10 defensive player ever. He’s not even a lock for top 10 best Linebackers ever and his legacy is nowhere near Kobe’s in terms of impact on the sport. A more apt comparison of an NFL Linebacker to Kobe would be Ray Lewis simply because of his impact.

As for NASCAR, interestingly enough they actually retired a racer’s number after a death:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reti...ber#Motorsport

And Unofficially retired Earnhardt’s # for a decade.
    Nascar never retired the number 3... the car numbers are leased by the teams, which Richard Childress (the car owner) leased it and just never ran the car number on the track in the cup series until Childress' grandson made it into the cup series.

The 61 is retired in the modified series only which would be comparable to the single-A division of baseball
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 01-27-2020 at 04:11 PM.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    Yet the logo memorializes a certain player already, Jerry West....
    Which is also dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Nascar never retired the number 3... the car numbers are leased by the teams, which Richard Childress (the car owner) leased it and just never ran the car number on the track in the cup series until Childress' grandson made it into the cup series.

The 61 is retired in the modified series only which would be comparable to the single-A division of baseball
    Did the racer who used number 61 compete in the modified series? If so, that makes sense.

There's one thing that I cannot get over. Some unfinished business Kobe had.

I was kinda looking forward to Kobe's last act in basketbal, standing next to Shaquille O'Neal, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. His Hall of Fame induction. Now it's one thing that I have in my mind when it thinks of Kobe. I really cannot do it to myself to check his highlights, or interviews or anything else. It makes me feel as nothing has happened and then it just hits me again. It's devastating to think about.

But that HoF induction speech, when we're all going to accept this tragedy as fact and cement it in our heads.. it will hit us again. And big time. I don't think anyone will be prepared for that. That Kobe won't be there with his big smile to gloat on how he's amongst the greatest ever. That his childhood heroes would be there to talk him up, filling him with pride. The fans wondering what's he going to say about Shaq, Phil and everyone else he played with and against.

This will leave a big hole.

All of this is arbitrary. Why are you commenting on this death now and not the death of Robert Archibald, former NBA player who played 44 games and died 2 days ago? How impactful they were to the league, the game, and everyone absolutely has an effect on how society treats their death and honors them. There's a reason there were millions of social media posts when Prince died and multiple events honoring him (including the Grammy's) but there wasn't nearly that kind of response when David Olney died. Yet David Olney was a respected and accomplished singer/songwriter whose career spanned longer than Prince's.

Now, Prince's life is not more valuable than Olney's, and Kobe's is not more valuable than Archibald's. But you are kidding yourself if you don't think their impact on society and their sport matters. Otherwise, you are pretty much a hypocrite if you were fine with the NBA honoring Kobe's death last night but aren't outraged they didn't honor Archibald's death the same way. Because after all, that would be arbitrarily assigning value on people's lives and impact.
    Obviously there’s a difference between Kobe and many players. What I mean by arbitrary is assigning subjective rankings to players in order to determine their impact on their sport/team and then subjectively determining if their death meets some credential for them to receive an honor that would change the sport. To use your Prince comparison, it would be like stating no one can ever play the piano while singing again because Prince had that much impact.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    There's one thing that I cannot get over. Some unfinished business Kobe had.

I was kinda looking forward to Kobe's last act in basketbal, standing next to Shaquille O'Neal, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. His Hall of Fame induction. Now it's one thing that I have in my mind when it thinks of Kobe. I really cannot do it to myself to check his highlights, or interviews or anything else. It makes me feel as nothing has happened and then it just hits me again. It's devastating to think about.

But that HoF induction speech, when we're all going to accept this tragedy as fact and cement it in our heads.. it will hit us again. And big time. I don't think anyone will be prepared for that. That Kobe won't be there with his big smile to gloat on how he's amongst the greatest ever. That his childhood heroes would be there to talk him up, filling him with pride. The fans wondering what's he going to say about Shaq, Phil and everyone else he played with and against.

This will leave a big hole.
    I posted this last night on Twitter, the biggest moment of a player's career is his Hall of Fame induction. It was then it hit me, we'll never hear Kobe speak again. Damn that hurts.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Miami has Jordan’s number retired, I wouldn’t mind them retiring one or both of Kobes.
    Classy organization

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Obviously there’s a difference between Kobe and many players. What I mean by arbitrary is assigning subjective rankings to players in order to determine their impact on their sport/team and then subjectively determining if their death meets some credential for them to receive an honor that would change the sport. To use your Prince comparison, it would be like stating no one can ever play the piano while singing again because Prince had that much impact.
    In fairness, that is an awful analogy. The Prince comment would be if he said no one can use a fadeaway jumper because Kobe was the best at it. Its like saying no one can single Purple Rain again. Ever. The number didn't make Kobe famous, he made the number famous. That's the difference

Also for the record. I don't think the only possible way to honor him is to have his jersey retired by the entire NBA. I think naming an award after him, or putting a patch on the jerseys, or retiring his number, are all great gestures. I just don't see why some people are saying absolutely not to this one specific idea to honor him.
    The Mamba mentality award

If the League retires his jersey number. I would be on board now I think after seeing many comments on here. Very good points. However, I would stop at 24, not both. I think that would be the best way, alongside an award named after him and a patch the rest of the season. The Lakers wearing one forever.

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    The Mamba mentality award
    Love it. Although i think i'd rather a high profile award, like Regular Season or Finals MVP named after him. Would mean more I think, rather than a new award.

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast