Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I would assume that they would have to rename an award after him.

I believe the Finals MVP is named after Celtics legend Bill Russell, so I doubt they’d try to replace Russell with Kobe instead (unless Russell agrees to let them do it).

I would be ok with the regular season MVP award being renamed in his honor.
    Hard pressed naming a trophy after him with the (unjust) fact he only won it once. I think scoring leader should get a trophy with Kobe’s likeness for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Hard pressed naming a trophy after him with the (unjust) fact he only won it once. I think scoring leader should get a trophy with Kobe’s likeness for sure.
    That works too. At least something to honor Kobe for all he’s done for the game

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I get your logic but at the same time, shouldn't teams then not be retiring numbers of players because that prohibits anyone on that team from honoring that player? If LeBron James wearing 23 is a nice way to honor Michael Jordan, then the next superstar of that team wanting to wear Jordan's number would also be a nice way to honor him, yet they won't get that opportunity.
    It's a matter of degree. Kobe and the Lakers is a different relationship than the Clippers and Kobe. I don't expect them to be the same.

going to watch the game tomorrow in dtla. I'll pour one out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    It wasn't what he said, just his tone (same as it always is) just doesn't fit the discussion IMO. But that's just me.
    I can picture it. wierd vibe for sure.

wasn't he only the scoring leader once or twice too? it would be a nice trophy tho

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's a matter of degree. Kobe and the Lakers is a different relationship than the Clippers and Kobe. I don't expect them to be the same.
    Agreed, though if anything Kobe's relationship to the Lakers is stronger so someone wanting to wear his jersey in his honor for the team he played for would be an even more fitting tribute.

RIP

I grew up a Sac Kings fan so it's safe to say I've been rooting against Kobe throughout the majority of his career, but love him or hate him, you gotta respect him. Kobe was one of the fiercest competitors in all of sports, obviously. And he really seemed to have big things in store for his post playing career which makes this feel even worse. Just 41 years old with a lot left to give. What happened is just a tragedy. And when we found out his daughter was with him, it was just gut wrenching. This sucks.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-27-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Better late than never... RIP

I grew up a Sac Kings fan so it's safe to say I've been rooting against Kobe throughout the majority of his career, but love him or hate him, you gotta respect him. Kobe was one of the fiercest competitors in all of sports, obviously. And he really seemed to have big things in store for his post playing career which makes this feel even worse. Just 41 years old with a lot left to give. What happened is just a tragedy. And when we found out his daughter was with him, it was just gut wrenching. This sucks.
    I don’t think “better late than never” was the term you were looking for based on the rest of your post but maybe I’m misunderstanding
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

I'd argue retiring a jersey is far less of a complete change to the sport than changing the NBA logo, or even wearing a patch on all Jerseys in his honor. I guess my question is: how would you like to see the NBA honor Kobe? Or would you even want to see that?

As for your comparison, it's not even close because a piano is literally an instrument used by a ton of players whereas a jersey number is used by at most 30 players at a time and if they can't use that number they can literally wear 99 other ones. If we use your comparison from the Prince perspective, it would actually be like saying nobody in the NBA can even wear a jersey. Or to flip it, it would be like saying nobody can use the purple, note shaped guitar Prince used. Not nearly as drastic as you're making it out.
    If the NBA wants to honor him by having a league wide patch with his number on it, that’s fine. I’d even be in favor an award in Kobe’s name. Something that is an addition to the league, not a subtraction.

Fair enough about the Prince example. My point is using some arbitrary ranking system and whether the persons death was untimely doesn’t seem right to me.

I like your idea. I saw someone else mention that the NBA should allow the Lakers to all wear 8 or 24 next home game as well. I know scoring would be a mess but they need to let that happen.
    Not sure about the jersey number thing... but I think players and coaches league wide should (and probably will) wear a patch or something honoring Kobe, and Arenas should all have a tribute video of kobe bryant highlights and maybe a video of recent clips of him talking about how he was enjoying his retirement and his family life just to give a picture of who he was off the court..... maybe leave out the whole admitting to rape and settlement stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    The Mamba mentality award
    I like this idea. IMO, the award should go to a retired players he shows the best Mamba mentality- leadership in the community, excellence in areas outside of basketball and family/fatherhood

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    I like this idea. IMO, the award should go to a retired players he shows the best Mamba mentality- leadership in the community, excellence in areas outside of basketball and family/fatherhood
    Kind of like the Walter Payton Award. And have Kobe's family present it, if they wished to of course.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Aren't the regular season and Finals MVP's already named after someone? Or no?
    I didn't think the reg season one was but it may be. Finals is for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    I don’t think “better late than never” was the term you were looking for based on the rest of your post but maybe I’m misunderstanding
    I can see how that could be misinterpreted. I meant better late than never for me saying RIP and commenting on this because I'm a day late (mainly because I don't check in on PSD as much as I used to).

Editing that part out now.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    going to watch the game tomorrow in dtla. I'll pour one out for sure.

I can picture it. wierd vibe for sure.
    They postponed tomorrow’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast