Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    Love it. Although i think i'd rather a high profile award, like Regular Season or Finals MVP named after him. Would mean more I think, rather than a new award.
    Yea no doubt, that makes sense.
    HOF ceremony would be a good time to do something like that in his honor

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Massively agree. That is going to be the most emotional watching i've ever done. Not looking forward to the feels that night.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Obviously there’s a difference between Kobe and many players. What I mean by arbitrary is assigning subjective rankings to players in order to determine their impact on their sport/team and then subjectively determining if their death meets some credential for them to receive an honor that would change the sport. To use your Prince comparison, it would be like stating no one can ever play the piano while singing again because Prince had that much impact.
    I'd argue retiring a jersey is far less of a complete change to the sport than changing the NBA logo, or even wearing a patch on all Jerseys in his honor. I guess my question is: how would you like to see the NBA honor Kobe? Or would you even want to see that?

As for your comparison, it's not even close because a piano is literally an instrument used by a ton of players whereas a jersey number is used by at most 30 players at a time and if they can't use that number they can literally wear 99 other ones. If we use your comparison from the Prince perspective, it would actually be like saying nobody in the NBA can even wear a jersey. Or to flip it, it would be like saying nobody can use the purple, note shaped guitar Prince used. Not nearly as drastic as you're making it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Aren't the regular season and Finals MVP's already named after someone? Or no?

Kobe Bryant dead after helicopter crash

Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    Love it. Although i think i'd rather a high profile award, like Regular Season or Finals MVP named after him. Would mean more I think, rather than a new award.
    I would assume that they would have to rename an award after him.

I believe the Finals MVP is named after Celtics legend Bill Russell, so I doubt they’d try to replace Russell with Kobe instead (unless Russell agrees to let them do it).

I would be ok with the regular season MVP award being renamed in his honor.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Considering Jerrys connection w Kobe, could be interesting to make his jumpshot the logo. bigger gesture than retiring the number league wide while also being less intrusive on a team to team basis.

https://www.change.org/p/nba-nba-log...be?signed=true

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Good to hear from you, man. Hope all is well with you. Tough day for the NBA and Lakers fans, especially.
    you too MBT.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Did the racer who used number 61 compete in the modified series? If so, that makes sense.
    Yes, he is generally acknowledged as the best modified racer of all time winning 8 nascar modified series championships in a row (and many other non-nascar modified series championships) and he was so far ahead in points that he had already won his 9th nascar modified championship at the time of the accident that he died in.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2021 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Considering Jerrys connection w Kobe, could be interesting to make his jumpshot the logo. bigger gesture than retiring the number league wide while also being less intrusive on a team to team basis.

https://www.change.org/p/nba-nba-log...be?signed=true
    What i thought. Would be an honor for Jerry knowing how close they were and how Jerry mentored him early in LA.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

11. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    This thread is a reminder of the cesspool that is the NBA forum.

Man, watching Bomani Jones and his nonchalant tone discuss Kobe on Highly Questionable is brutal. I dunno, just is awkward to watch for me.

Rippin' lips son!!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Young$avage View Post
    Can everybody just STFU about the jersey and honor the man's life?
    Yet your sig has #24ever. Which is exactly what retiring his jersey would be doing.

Honoring his life and retiring his jersey are not opposing factors. People react and process in different ways to grief, horror and shock. There is nothing wrong with your way of acting and nothing wrong with the others.

Ignorance is bliss

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Man, watching Bomani Jones and his nonchalant tone discuss Kobe on Highly Questionable is brutal. I dunno, just is awkward to watch for me.
    I like Bomani. I didn't see HQ but I liked what he and pablo said on their show.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I like Bomani. I didn't see HQ but I liked what he and pablo said on their show.
    It wasn't what he said, just his tone (same as it always is) just doesn't fit the discussion IMO. But that's just me.

Rippin' lips son!!

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast