Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Looks like Lazard is on pace to be back on the shorter end of his IR stint.

Allen Lazard (core muscle surgery) began rehab work on Thursday.

Lazard was slapped with a 4-8 week timeline after going under the knife in late September. A Sunday return against the Texans isn't going to happen, but Week 8 vs. the Vikings is at least now theoretically possible. Week 9 in San Francisco is probably the best bet, though that is a short-week Thursday tilt.

A slew of roster moves for the Packers but perhaps most importantly, they activated LB Kamal Martin off IR, signed G Ben Braden and DL Billy Winn to the active roster from the practice squad and elevated S Henry Black and RB Dexter Williams from the practice squad to the active roster for gameday. Also, LB James Burgess has cleared COVID protocols after signing him off the Falcons' practice squad but have a roster exemption.
    per Rob Demovsky

Kamal is the good news. The Dexter Williams thing makes me a bit nervous for Jones though.

will Green Bay be a buyer this year prior to the trade deadline? i have no insider information. i think if they are it would be a big splash WR. don't see the value of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    will Green Bay be a buyer this year prior to the trade deadline? i have no insider information. i think if they are it would be a big splash WR. don't see the value of it though.
    I believe Aaron Nagler tweeted out a few days ago that the Packers have been in search of a WR. he didn't have any names or anything like that of who they have been inquiring about but, he did say that he was informed they are doing their due diligence

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    Will they be buyers in the sense they are looking for players, yes, will they actually pull the trigger or find a value I would say no. The NFL trade deadline is usually a dud in a ton of big trades. If the right deal comes along I'm sure they make the move. But with $7.7 mil in current cap and next years cap crisis looming likely now.

Any "rumors" right now are mostly a bunch of mid to low end bloggers trying to generate views. Some are really out there rumors. There were also some AJ Green rumors as the story for the past 3 years, Golden Tate. The most credible report so far has been Aaron Nagler stating the Packers are calling around about a receiver. Which isn't much of a rumor, I'm pretty sure every team is calling around. I feel like that's writing a rumor "this coming Sunday several Packers fans are planning to buy beer and brats."

Like you mention there probably won't be much value in doing the trade. It sounds like Lazard may be ready as early as the SF game. That being said I have no issue with them making the move "if" they can and even offering potential future draft stock. They took two future players with the first two rounds, so if they want to flip something for the now if something makes sense if the right deal comes along.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 10-26-2020 at 08:07 PM.

That is a really interesting signing. We may have just found our slot receiver. He isnt a guy who will blow you away, but has decent speed, solid hands percentage wise, and may give this offense something they don't have.

From what I'm reading they're expecting him to make the team, but giving him time to learn the playbook. Seems like he was phased out of Carolina. Zero risk move if he can't cut it they've lost nothing. Good low risk move with a decent reward.

I don't know that they'll actually make a move and the cap is a big question, but we have picks to work with. Funchess's base deal didn't offset our comp pick formula anyway, but with him opting out, we didn't sign anyone to qualify. So we should get picks for at least Bulaga, Martinez and Fackerall. Those should be either 2 4s and a 6 or a 4, 5 and 6. It's also possible BJ Goodson nets us a 7th yet too.

So we definitely have the ammo if we want to give up a 4th or 5th to take a shot on a guy. If we do make a move, I'd think WR or DL makes sense. Unless Barnes is legit hurt, our ILB group is okayish, especially with kirksey coming back at some point too. Maybe a DB if King is going to be down for a bit, but even then, I'm not sure you actually get a guy who's a massive upgrade.

I would argue that if you want DB help they just need to pick up the phone and call Tramon, chances of trading for someone who will be decent enough to make an impact and two not need much time to learn the playbook are pretty slim.

I think Roberts is their move at WR. You basically in 2-3 weeks get potentially two boost at WR with Lazard and maybe Roberts. Unless a they were wowed by a deal don't see anything else significant happening there. IDL maybe, but that units starting to shape up with Lancaster looking solid, Keke developing but looking like a starter, and Adams being a nice package option. If they can get Kenny Clark back playing like himself they should be OK. He looks like he is shaking a little rust off still. Probably no real upgrades out there.

I thought about tramon too, but I guess we aren't exactly sure what shape he's in and how willing he is to play during the pandemic.

If that’s our WR addition we are setting ourselves up to be disappointed this year... we are a top2-3 nfc team pretty easily. We should be doing more to get to the SB.

Funchess actually playing would’ve been pretty awesome right now.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    If that’s our WR addition we are setting ourselves up to be disappointed this year... we are a top2-3 nfc team pretty easily. We should be doing more to get to the SB.

Funchess actually playing would’ve been pretty awesome right now.
    I concede it's certainly not the prettiest move out there, but I mean what else can they really do?

There is now $7.1 mil (Roberts cap figures not in yet) in cap space most upgrades via trade will likely put them over the cap. For example, the WR's rumored to be on the block you trade for AJ Green you take a $17 mil in cap along with him, Golden Tate $7.4, Alshon Jeffrey $9.3, Kenny Stills like $6.9. You can possibly make room for a guy like Stills or Tate cap-wise, but Tate would come with a $4.7 mill cap carry over if you cut him after this season. The price tag on both is likely fairly high. Then far as free agents go the only receiver on the market which you can say is better is Taylor Gabriel, but with Gabriel sitting out for COVID, Roberts really was the best option. Roberts may not be the best player available, but I would certainly argue he was the best value available.

Looking at his first down numbers are decent showing what he can bring as a slot receiver. Even in a down season last year he had 21 recs, but not all rec's are of equal value 18 were for first down. Roberts may not be a stud, but he's certainly a solid receiver and did most of that with average to slightly above average QB play. Easily better than our bottom three receivers. EQ is shaping up so far to have little to no use, really thinking he could be cut to make room for either Roberts or Lazard. Taylor and Shepherd are seemingly both ahead of him, EQ only had 5% of snaps vs. Houston, both offer more on ST as well. Neither Taylor and Shepherd offer anything close to what Roberts can offer, it's not hard to think Roberts will be on the field by the Jacksonville game.

I don't think they are done shopping though reports had them making an offer for Zach Ertz, not sure how credible that report was given his cap figures. And there is still rumors they are still shopping.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 10-27-2020 at 02:05 PM.

To be fair, the cap figures you're using are full season. You'd get a prorated version of that, so basically half of those cap figures.

how many have seen the rumor that Green Bay was looking to trade for Ertz? splash wise it's a big move. cap wise how?

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast