Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 145
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    7,618
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Perhaps they're grooming him as the future Mercedes Lewis. Not quite as big as Lewis, who's like 6'7", but there's a role for that type of guy, especially if he has reliable hands.
    Honestly wondered the same thing when they signed him.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    8,651

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    8,651
    From the stuff I am seeing, Kirkseys injury isn't season ending and won't require surgery but, he will miss a few games.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,161
    Why we canít find a suitable ILB I canít figure out. My hope is some how Barnes and Martin can handle the work load

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,203
    Not to be a dick, but it's not super hard to figure out. We don't value ilb. Looks like gute does a bit more than Ted, but not a ton. Since we drafted hawk in the first (which was pre 3-4), I think Abdul hodge and Oren Burks are the only 3rd rounders we've used at ilb. We've used no first and no seconds. Only day 3 guys. And when we do bring in a FA, it's for scrap heap guys like Goodson or a cut candidate fir cut candidate trade like Morrison. Kirksey is the first semi big name signing at ilb since Chillar.

    We've spent no resources on the position, so it shouldn't be a shock that it sucks.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    8,651
    Packers signed WR Caleb Scott to the practice squad

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    7,618
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Why we canít find a suitable ILB I canít figure out. My hope is somehow Barnes and Martin can handle the work load
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Not to be a dick, but it's not super hard to figure out. We don't value ilb. Looks like gute does a bit more than Ted, but not a ton. Since we drafted hawk in the first (which was pre 3-4), I think Abdul hodge and Oren Burks are the only 3rd rounders we've used at ilb. We've used no first and no seconds. Only day 3 guys. And when we do bring in a FA, it's for scrap heap guys like Goodson or a cut candidate fir cut candidate trade like Morrison. Kirksey is the first semi big name signing at ilb since Chillar.

    We've spent no resources on the position, so it shouldn't be a shock that it sucks.
    The hard thing with ILB is if they are worth a first-round grade they generally go early it's hard to justify using a 1st or second-rounder on a guy who you scheme to be the mop-up guy. However, I don't see the value in spending a 1st round pick on an ILB, of what I would rank as the top 20 ILB's in the NFL maybe 1 taken in the first round. I see a lot in the 2nd, a few from 3rd-4th, and a handful from 5th and beyond.

    Speaking of Kirksey, he has been a bit of a disappointment to this point and some may be rust. Not putting a bunch of stock in PFF, but they do sometimes tell a story and his PFF score this season is 31.9. He can rack up tackles, but he's not really making an impact. Some of his coverage has been outright embarrassing. Teams are completing 90% (9/10) against him. Once again he's showing he can't stay healthy.

    I've been more impressed with Barnes and Summers. Both need some work but have looked functional. Summers looked raw, had one really bad missed tackle, but overall he looked like he was on the way to taking the step towards being at least an option to be depth. Not calling Summers a stud, but he looked far more proficient than Kirksey this season. Feel free to disagree, but Kirksey has not looked close to what was advertised. I'm curious how both Summers and Barnes will perform this week. Barnes has simply been impressive, really hope he can keep his play up. If Martin comes as advertised they may luck into some success at ILB this year.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    7,618
    B/R Gridiron
    @brgridiron

    6m
    Packers WR Allen Lazard is out indefinitely after he had core muscle surgery, per
    @AdamSchefter

    That's a huge blow he was on track for a nice season. Would venture to guess Robert Foster would be next up from the PS, but they likely need to sign a vet, Taylor Gabriel comes to mind as the best FA on the market.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,161
    What a bunch of crap... can funchess change his mind and come back ?

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    7,618
    Pretty sure he can't, may be wrong. When they opt out they basically agreed to take 150k and sit the season out. Even of he could not sure he would do so.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,203
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    The hard thing with ILB is if they are worth a first-round grade they generally go early it's hard to justify using a 1st or second-rounder on a guy who you scheme to be the mop-up guy. However, I don't see the value in spending a 1st round pick on an ILB, of what I would rank as the top 20 ILB's in the NFL maybe 1 taken in the first round. I see a lot in the 2nd, a few from 3rd-4th, and a handful from 5th and beyond.

    Speaking of Kirksey, he has been a bit of a disappointment to this point and some may be rust. Not putting a bunch of stock in PFF, but they do sometimes tell a story and his PFF score this season is 31.9. He can rack up tackles, but he's not really making an impact. Some of his coverage has been outright embarrassing. Teams are completing 90% (9/10) against him. Once again he's showing he can't stay healthy.

    I've been more impressed with Barnes and Summers. Both need some work but have looked functional. Summers looked raw, had one really bad missed tackle, but overall he looked like he was on the way to taking the step towards being at least an option to be depth. Not calling Summers a stud, but he looked far more proficient than Kirksey this season. Feel free to disagree, but Kirksey has not looked close to what was advertised. I'm curious how both Summers and Barnes will perform this week. Barnes has simply been impressive, really hope he can keep his play up. If Martin comes as advertised they may luck into some success at ILB this year.
    You're mostly right on the first round ilb thing I'd say. That being said, I do think day 1 or 2 picks matter. It's not a scientific way to so it, but PFF did a top 25 off ball linebacker list before the season. Without debating who should or shouldn't be on the list, but I believe 17 or 18 (did some off of memory) of the 25 were picked in the first 3 rounds, without alot of 2nd rounders, particularly near the top of the list.

    Since taking aj hawk in the 1st and Abdul hodge in the 3rd in 2006, Oren Burks is the only off ball LB we've taken before the 4th. And he was a fairly late 3rd, so it's not like it was huge draft capital we spent on him. And I mostly agree with your point you can find LBs later on, but we've been unable to do it. And after awhile of being unable to do it, you'd figure you'd adjust the plan and spend some earlier capital on one every once awhile. We're legit going on close to 15 years with 1 day 1 or 2 pick at a position that's been a weakness for 10 years.

    Summers didn't impress me a whole lot. He made one or two good plays, but hes just not a good tackler and doesn't cover well enough to make up for that. Maybe he can fix that but I'm not optimistic. I know he's only a 7th rounder, but he got beat by a udfa last year had Bolton not gotten hurt. In year 2, he presumably got beat by Martin in camp. I just can't trust him. Need to see alot more of him playing even better than last week for me to trust him.

    But kirksey hasn't been very good either. I've seen him fill a gap once or twice better than Martinez ever did, but he really hasn't been anything special. It was a bad look in the Minn game when he was chasing Kirk on a scramble and didn't really catch him at all.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,161
    We suck at WR again. Really need to find a capable 2 or 3

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    30,633
    We will be fine as long as Adams is back

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    We will be fine as long as Adams is back
    I hope Iím wrong, but I think the loss of Lazard will be bigger than a game or two without Davante. Lazard contributes often without the ball in his hands, seems like heís a lead blocker often on those misdirection plays. I just think itís going to be hard to replace a guy like that.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    7,618
    Lazard and Kirksey both officially placed on IR.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •