Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Packers Extend David Bakhtiari

The Packers made a major move before their Week 10 date with the Jaguars. Green Bay locked up left tackle David Bakhtiari with a four-year extension, a source told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com (Twitter link). He had previously been set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

The deal is worth up to $105.5MM in new money, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network tweets. The base value is $23MM per year, Rapoport adds, which makes him the new highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history. Widely considered one of the best tackles in the league, Bakhtiari made his return on Sunday from a chest injury that cost him a few games. This is certainly a nice welcome-back gift.

A fourth-round pick back in 2013, he turned into a steal for Green Bay. The Colorado product became a full-time starter as a rookie, and he’s been protecting Aaron Rodgers‘ blindside ever since. He’s been pretty durable, starting all 16 games in five of his seven full seasons and never missing more than four in one year.

An All-Pro in each of the past four seasons, Bakhtiari only turned 29 in September. As such, he should still be in the prime of his career when this new pact expires. Laremy Tunsil became the highest-paid offensive lineman and first to eclipse $20MM annually back in March, and now Bakhtiari has blown past those numbers.

He’s pretty much in quarterback-money territory now. Rapoport later posted a follow-up tweet saying he’ll get a whopping $30MM signing bonus, with $62.8MM coming his way before the end of the 2022 campaign. Since 2017 Bakhtiari is first in the league in pass block win rate among tackles, according to a tweet from Seth Walder of ESPN.com.
    profootballrumors.com

That’s an insane amount of money. Between him and Rodgers, I dunno how they’re gonna field a complete team.

Pack have to be cap strapped to the max right now. I think the team will extend Jaire in the next year and AJ33 and King likely out.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Pack have to be cap strapped to the max right now. I think the team will extend Jaire in the next year and AJ33 and King likely out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    That’s an insane amount of money. Between him and Rodgers, I dunno how they’re gonna field a complete team.
    The cap hit which they will have from his deal is low, if they cut Kirksey, Lowry, Wagner, and Turner at seasons end they are under the cap if its $175 mil. But that's if it is officially $175 mil, but it could be higher. They likely also get savings by restructuring other deals or extending players for 22'. This was a brilliant contract for the impending cap numbers.

Idk if we can stay as good without turner and aj33.... those are two big pieces

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Idk if we can stay as good without turner and aj33.... those are two big pieces
    League attrition will be wide spread either guys will take a 21' cut to be competitive or hard choices will be made. I would agree both Turner and Jones make them a better squad, but at the same time I'd rather have Bak and Clark locked down first and then figure out the rest than the other way around. I will be interesting to see the deals Russ Ball can conjure up.

It feels like it will be hard to fit an Aaron Jones contract into this mix of extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    League attrition will be wide spread either guys will take a 21' cut to be competitive or hard choices will be made. I would agree both Turner and Jones make them a better squad, but at the same time I'd rather have Bak and Clark locked down first and then figure out the rest than the other way around. I will be interesting to see the deals Russ Ball can conjure up.
    Agree. There's going to be a decent group of guys available for closer to the league minimum than ever before. Wouldnt at all be shocked if they plan on something like Bak, Jenkins, Patrick, Taylor, and Wagner, who could be cut and brought back awfully cheap. With Jenkins being your flex tackle who can maybe replace Wagner with Runyan potwntially taking over at guard. Taylor can likely be had for virtually nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    It feels like it will be hard to fit an Aaron Jones contract into this mix of extensions.
    Jones is a huge enigma to me. He's special and it's obvious, but I'm philosophically opposed to extending RBs on bigger deals. The so rarely work out. And generally speaking, RBs aren't super hard to find in the mid rounds of drafts or even UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Agree. There's going to be a decent group of guys available for closer to the league minimum than ever before. Wouldnt at all be shocked if they plan on something like Bak, Jenkins, Patrick, Taylor, and Wagner, who could be cut and brought back awfully cheap. With Jenkins being your flex tackle who can maybe replace Wagner with Runyan potwntially taking over at guard. Taylor can likely be had for virtually nothing.
    Taylor would be interesting because he gives you and an insurance policy for a guy like Simon Stepaniak who I hear they are pretty high on. I think two big issues on Stepaniak in college were foot mobility and block framing. Can't knock cheap quality veteran depth.

Runyan has shown he can handle himself so far on the OL he's grading out pretty well. He has certainly shown to be a quality depth option at a minimum. You see some weeks he will need to make to take him to the next level, but he's coachable and has the pedigree which suggests he can make it as a guard in this league.

Having Bak locked down was huge because now the discussion is really a lot easier knowing you have at a minimum Bak, Jenkins, Runyan, and Patrick as viable options to plugin. A few interesting discussions to come up like would they look at Jenkins as the RT (doubtful right now)? Do they put Patrick as a center or guard?

The draft certainly has a play in this all too. Worth noting three interesting center prospects in this draft I would say 3-5 of the center prospects could be ready right away. Do you draft a RT, early take on the draft Rashawn Slater has future Packers target written all over him, but that's for another thread at another time.

Im really wondering if Jenkins is the future at RT. He's shown he can handle virtually any spot and we've been phenomenal for years at finding gems at guard. So I could see a scenario where we have a group like Bak, Jenkins, Patrick, Taylor, Wagner and Runyan and basically have Wagner and Runyan indirectly compete while the other is the top backup. You still probabky cut Wagner this year and try to bring him back for a vet min or close to that type of deal.

With that crew, you'd basically have Bak on a huge deal, 2 rookie deals and 3 small vet deals and still have a serviceable, if not good, OL group with at least a tiny bit of depth. You can still do our standard mid to later round depth pick in the draft and see what happens. And like you said, we still have the other 2 6ths from last year that serve as potential or depth.

I will say, our OL versatility is great. Turner can play anywhere which allows you to miz and match and patrick is fine at G or C which helps too, in case you hit on a draft pick that can only play one of those spots.

Lindsey needs resigned too

Can't resign everyone petrey lol. Of King, Jones, Linsley....all might be gone, but at most 1 coming back imo. Already know Pack are paying Jaire big $$$ in near future.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Can't resign everyone petrey lol. Of King, Jones, Linsley....all might be gone, but at most 1 coming back imo. Already know Pack are paying Jaire big $$$ in near future.
    The highest paid center is 4yr 50mill... I think we could cut Preston and sign Linsley. Plus maybe keep one of Williams and Jones.

King is gone and honestly replaceable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast