Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    What is the GOP plan to deal with the problem? Twiddle their thumbs?
    What I heard was their proposal to reduce the rate on the income based payment plan with any remaining balance forgiven after 15 years, down from 25 years.

What about when we forgive the loans and have free tuition………

Kid wants to go out of state, much greater cost…do we pay for that?

College kids need a laptop. Some kids can't afford it…do we pay for that?

Kid gets free tuition but he can't get there…do we buy him a car?

Ridiculous courses…do we pay for those?
    https://humansofuniversity.com/unive...believe-exist/

Kid (finally graduates) but still can't get a job…what do we do with that?

Since everyone is going to college…you really need an advanced degree to get by. Do we pay for that?

What if we pay for all the tuition and the kid flunks (gee what are the chances of that)…do we just keep paying? (What will happen in this case is that we will just pass kids to get them out [like high school] Then we fall bact to my previous point of not being able to get jobs.)

First thing that will happen…since the state is paying for everything, the professors will all get together and ask for more $$$, Are we all OK (OK meaning all right and not secret white power message) with that?

Free tuition and loan forgiveness will not work.

Actually it will work if its intent is to buy votes. Then it will be an overwhelming success.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    What about when we forgive the loans and have free tuition………

Kid wants to go out of state, much greater cost…do we pay for that?

College kids need a laptop. Some kids can't afford it…do we pay for that?

Kid gets free tuition but he can't get there…do we buy him a car?

Ridiculous courses…do we pay for those?
    https://humansofuniversity.com/unive...believe-exist/

Kid (finally graduates) but still can't get a job…what do we do with that?

Since everyone is going to college…you really need an advanced degree to get by. Do we pay for that?

What if we pay for all the tuition and the kid flunks (gee what are the chances of that)…do we just keep paying? (What will happen in this case is that we will just pass kids to get them out [like high school] Then we fall bact to my previous point of not being able to get jobs.)

First thing that will happen…since the state is paying for everything, the professors will all get together and ask for more $$$, Are we all OK (OK meaning all right and not secret white power message) with that?

Free tuition and loan forgiveness will not work.

Actually it will work if its intent is to buy votes. Then it will be an overwhelming success.
    What about when a meteor is on a collision course with the Earth and we can only hope that Bruce Willis will drill a hole, drop in a nuke in it, and knock it off course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I didn't go because my parents didn't have any money to pay for it and I knew I was a total **** head at that age so I said let's not sign the life away. To me the real issue is that everyone has to go now but not everyone deserves to. I'm not against higher education but if everyone has one doesn't it water it down. It just seems like a giant scheme to me. I remember arguing with my guidance counselor in high school and then she pretty much told me I'm gonna be a POS and make less money. Idk bought my house at 23 don't live a lavish life but it's everything I need. I can support my wife and my kid thats due in march

It shouldn't be free and it shouldn't cost as much as it does. The government would be better off paying for college for those who actually will use it and send the rest to trade schools. Everyone wants to be an engineer but no one knows the mechanical side of things. It's ****ed. Soon enough your going have to have a bachelor degree just to sweep floors. And when you do your going to say to yourself I thought college was supposed to make my life better

Pretty sure Germany does that could be wrong

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Rhody View Post
    I didn't go because my parents didn't have any money to pay for it and I knew I was a total **** head at that age so I said let's not sign the life away. To me the real issue is that everyone has to go now but not everyone deserves to. I'm not against higher education but if everyone has one doesn't it water it down. It just seems like a giant scheme to me. I remember arguing with my guidance counselor in high school and then she pretty much told me I'm gonna be a POS and make less money. Idk bought my house at 23 don't live a lavish life but it's everything I need. I can support my wife and my kid thats due in march

It shouldn't be free and it shouldn't cost as much as it does. The government would be better off paying for college for those who actually will use it and send the rest to trade schools. Everyone wants to be an engineer but no one knows the mechanical side of things. It's ****ed. Soon enough your going have to have a bachelor degree just to sweep floors. And when you do your going to say to yourself I thought college was supposed to make my life better

Good post

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I like the idea that loans should be sponsored by the industry they are learning to enter. They can evaluate the candidates and decide if they are worth it or not. I think the evaluation should be scrubbed of gender, race, and heritage data. The interview can be done by text through an interpreter who can remove language hints to their origin.

I also think schools don't need to be palaces. They should be clean and safe, but they do not need to be new and fancy, nor do they need a lot of ancillary services available.

And it should be cheaper, but as I said earlier, the main reason they are so expensive is because the money is out there.

Supply and demand drives the prices up, increasing the demand by making it free just jacks the demand to the maximum while the supply isn't really changing.

Is the point of the thread to determine whose political opinion is more terrible, Warren, that guy or Brewers?

Pretty much a dead heat for me.

Not childish at all. It is a natural human reaction.

Maybe the guy couldn't afford to buy a house (or a better house) because he had to lay out thousands for his kid's education.

Maybe (and quite possibly) he had to work multiple jobs to afford to get his kid's education.

Maybe he did without family vacations to afford to get his kid's education.

People getting stuff for free when others work their butts of for the same thing is nearly impossible to swallow. This point is something liberals NEVER understand. And never will.
    And I worked harder than the rich white girl who’s dad owns a mansion but she got to go to an expensive out of city college because he could afford it, I was stuck going to community college because that’s all I could afford.

She drives a Mercedes, got lip injections, and wears designer clothes. Those damn republicans getting handed everything in life...
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1;33353899[B
    ]Farming subsidies, oil and gas write offs and other corporate policies are designed to keep and entire industry (and hence the US economy) viable and competitive. And they provide tons of jobs and billions in income.[/B]

Writing off student loans (and the eventual free tuition that will inevitably follow) will accomplish nothing. These people will still not have jobs, tuition will skyrocket (since the government pays) and the economy will suffer. And nothing will change.

Liberals constantly try to solve the results of bad programs rather than the root cause of those programs. I listed several expenses that could be addressed…how come they never are? It's always pay at the end, never control in the beginning.
    First Bolded: Where’s your “personal responsibility” speeches now? If farms, oil and gas are not viable and competitive they should have been better at being viable and competitive. How come it’s not their fault their failing?

As for providing jobs and billions to the economy; that’s what erasing student loans will do as well. The economy is literally suffering as a result of all the student debt:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...amp/ncna984131

So if your goal is to grow the economy, easing student debt is absolutely the way to go. But you don’t like it because oh they’re getting something for free. But that’s not it. So are all those farmers and businessmen, but you like them so you’re OK with it.

You’d be fine with Trump getting something for free but God forbid AOC does. Your belief is not principled, it’s partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    And I worked harder than the rich white girl who’s dad owns a mansion but she got to go to an expensive out of city college because he could afford it, I was stuck going to community college because that’s all I could afford.

She drives a Mercedes, got lip injections, and wears designer clothes. Those damn republicans getting handed everything in life...

What is it you want, exactly?

Do you want everyone to be the same? That's not going to happen. It's impossible. Do you think everyone should have the same amount of money? All live in similar houses? That's not going to happen. It's impossible.

But everyone has the same opportunity if they apply themselves. Granted, some, like the girl you seem to be jealous of, were born into better circumstances and probably had some strings pulled for her along the way, but that is the way it is. Always was, always will be. One of my kids is being handed a successful business while many of her friends are struggling to get by. Is that fair? Is that OK with you?

Keep ion mind that even the poorest have free education thru their first 15-16 years. If you do well enough, you can get free education even further. How many out there screw this up (hint: millions) and then complain when they can't get ahead (hint: millions)

You seem to be hung up on this girl that has seemingly received all the breaks. Do you own a house, have some savings or investments? I'll assume that there is something there. So when you croak…who gets all that? Your kids do. Compare that to the kid living with a single parent in public housing living on food stamps. When his/her mother croaks, that kid gets nothing. Is that fair compared to your kid. It's the same story you introduced, just at a different level.

Bolded…Based on Hilly's claim, the Clintons were broke when they left the WH. Today Chelsea Clinton is worth an estimated $15 million, I don't see any brilliance in Chelsea. How did she do it? I don't think Mallia and Sasha will be suffering anytime soon. Al Gore has 4 kids that went to Harvard. (Gee, I thought Harvard was tough to get into.) How many Hollywood types get their kids into the entertainment industry. How about those celebs buying their kids way into college. Pretty much all Dems.

So before you make a stupid phrase that "Those damn republicans [are] getting handed everything in life" open your eyes and look around a little.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    First Bolded: Where’s your “personal responsibility” speeches now? If farms, oil and gas are not viable and competitive they should have been better at being viable and competitive. How come it’s not their fault their failing?

As for providing jobs and billions to the economy; that’s what erasing student loans will do as well. The economy is literally suffering as a result of all the student debt:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...amp/ncna984131

So if your goal is to grow the economy, easing student debt is absolutely the way to go. But you don’t like it because oh they’re getting something for free. But that’s not it. So are all those farmers and businessmen, but you like them so you’re OK with it.

You’d be fine with Trump getting something for free but God forbid AOC does. Your belief is not principled, it’s partisan.
    Again, the point was that our government passes laws, tariffs, tax rules whatever that pertain to an industry that competes on the world stage. In effect they are passing laws, tariffs, tax rules whatever to adjust/control large portions of the American economy. If they arew stepping in to help an individual farmer who screwed up, then, yes, that is wrong. Trying to steer an industry…nothing wrong with that.

Wiping out student yo grow the economy…don't really agree. Why not wipe out credit card debt, auto loans, mortgages etc.

Bolded…no idea where that is coming from. Where does AOC fit in here? Actually, where does AOC fit in anywhere?

[/B]

What is it you want, exactly?

Do you want everyone to be the same? That's not going to happen. It's impossible. Do you think everyone should have the same amount of money? All live in similar houses? That's not going to happen. It's impossible.

But everyone has the same opportunity if they apply themselves. Granted, some, like the girl you seem to be jealous of, were born into better circumstances and probably had some strings pulled for her along the way, but that is the way it is. Always was, always will be. One of my kids is being handed a successful business while many of her friends are struggling to get by. Is that fair? Is that OK with you?

Keep ion mind that even the poorest have free education thru their first 15-16 years. If you do well enough, you can get free education even further. How many out there screw this up (hint: millions) and then complain when they can't get ahead (hint: millions)

You seem to be hung up on this girl that has seemingly received all the breaks. Do you own a house, have some savings or investments? I'll assume that there is something there. So when you croak…who gets all that? Your kids do. Compare that to the kid living with a single parent in public housing living on food stamps. When his/her mother croaks, that kid gets nothing. Is that fair compared to your kid. It's the same story you introduced, just at a different level.

Bolded…Based on Hilly's claim, the Clintons were broke when they left the WH. Today Chelsea Clinton is worth an estimated $15 million, I don't see any brilliance in Chelsea. How did she do it? I don't think Mallia and Sasha will be suffering anytime soon. Al Gore has 4 kids that went to Harvard. (Gee, I thought Harvard was tough to get into.) How many Hollywood types get their kids into the entertainment industry. How about those celebs buying their kids way into college. Pretty much all Dems.

So before you make a stupid phrase that "Those damn republicans [are] getting handed everything in life" open your eyes and look around a little.
    Your entire point here: life isn’t fair get over it

Your entire point about forgiving student loan debt: it isn’t fair!

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Your entire point here: life isn’t fair get over it

Your entire point about forgiving student loan debt: it isn’t fair!

First Para…Wrong. The point is that people are born into different situations. While some may be born into better situations than others, the opportunity to succeed is the same for everyone. It is astounding that you do not see this point.

Second Para…100% Correctamundo, nail hit on the head

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    What about when a meteor is on a collision course with the Earth and we can only hope that Bruce Willis will drill a hole, drop in a nuke in it, and knock it off course?

I am assuming you are referring to some movie.

Ridiculous point. If this is the best you can come up with you may want to skip this topic.

Every scenario I alluded to in the post you commented on will happen should we go to free tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Rhody View Post

Very good post and it pretty much describes me in my teens. I couldn't get into college after HS for numerous reasons…money, grades, Viet Nam war.

The point about trade schools is spot on. One of the problems in this area is a lot of parents see their kid going to trade school as a failure and nothing could be further from the truth. I've seen several examples of this. A young person should do what they find interesting and are good at. Good tradespeople make good $$$. They get their hands dirty and eat our of a brown bag…so what. (If you talk to someone who owns a business in the trades they will all tell you how hard it is to get and train young apprentices.)

The government should encourage large businesses (because they can afford it) to send some of their young people to college at the company's expense. The employee could, in turn, sign on to commit to work for the company for XXX period of time or be required to pay back the cost. Colleges could drop some of the credit requirements (a lot of the electives) for students like this and consider life experience instead. Maybe some colleges couyld be set up to specialize in this type of scenario. Seems like everyone would win.

Some good points in your post.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast