Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What should the Portland Trailblazers do?

With the Portland Trailblazers struggling and a good chance they miss the playoffs, what do you think they should do? The Bazemore/Tolliver to the Kings trade to me looked like them throwing in the towel in a sense. That trade only saved them money and made them a little worse imo.

They already have some decent young pieces and if they were to trade Dame and CJ they could get even more young guys and draft picks for a possible quick rebuild.

Nurkic was really good pre injury and is young, Simmons is solid and explosive, Collins is good, Little is a nice project. They could definitely add to that. Could maybe get DLo and the Warriors pick for CJ or Dame. Draft Ball Edwards or Anthony with the pick and that would be a nice young replacement for either guard. Of course DLo is a nice replacement as well.

Cjs contract isnít the best but itís pretty solid. Dame is elite but the supermax May cause some pause for teams, do you think teams would trade for him and just say **** it, weíll cross the bridge when we get there when it comes to the laters stages when heís making a ton of money?

CJ is 28 and signed through 2023-24 where heíll be making 36M that year at 32-33 years old.

Dame is 29 and signed through 2024-25 where heíll be making 54M that year at age 34 (good ****ing lord lol).

They'll just hold onto em and chalk the season up as injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    They'll just hold onto em and chalk the season up as injuries.
    I could see that and itís the way Iím leaning as well. Do you think thatís what they should do though? Next season just gets tougher with the Warriors coming back, young teams getting better, and the Lakers getting Cousins back more than likely.

I knew Dame signed a fat extension but I did not know it was to where heíd be making $56M at the age of 34-35. Thatís wild lmao thatís like half the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    I knew Dame signed a fat extension but I did not know it was to where heíd be making $56M at the age of 34-35. Thatís wild lmao thatís like half the cap.
    The cap will be higher in 5 years

I doubt they blow it up. If they do, they should offer up Dame for Simmons and filler. Then look to move CJ for pick and or young pieces.

All I have ever heard is Lillard has no desire to ever leave Portland and so they have no reason to want to move him. Lillard is to Portland what Wade was to Miami so I don't see him ever leaving. Going with the assumption that Lillard will play out the rest of his career in Portland I would also assume that they'll just keep everyone and keep trying. I expect they'll make a deal to get someone like Kevin Love before too long, and maybe one day they'll trade McCollum if the right deal presents itself but they are never going to stop trying as long as they have Lillard.

They won't win the championship this year or probably any year, but getting to the playoffs and having a quality product on the floor year after year after year counts for something. It builds a legacy and Dame's teams made deep runs in the playoffs. Lillard has been in the league for seven full seasons, this is his eighth, and Portland has made the playoffs six years in a row. Of those six playoff appearances, they've made it to the second round three times and even the conference finals once. That's extremely impressive considering his best teammate in all this time has been LeMarcus Aldridge, who wasn't even there when he made the Conference Finals. While they may not make it this year, still too early to say, they won't need to do much with the roster to get it back into playoff contention (mostly just get healthy).

Lillard won't be 30 until the offseason so Portland still has a few more playoff runs left in them. Who knows maybe they'll get lucky, it happened for Detroit in 2004, Dallas in 2011, and Toronto last year. Try to get Kevin Love right now, hope to hit on a late 1st round draft pick in the next couple years and keep trying is what I say.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 01-20-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    The cap will be higher in 5 years
    Itís projected to be, at least before all of this China stuff but thatís still a ton of money. Thatís wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    I could see that and itís the way Iím leaning as well. Do you think thatís what they should do though? Next season just gets tougher with the Warriors coming back, young teams getting better, and the Lakers getting Cousins back more than likely.
    No, I disagree with their approach all the way. But its about making money i.e. putting butts in seats, signing tv deals, selling merch, selling concessions and getting the consumers to want to come to your venue for other events outside of basketball too. What better way to show off your arena to potential consumers than a short basketball game?

So from a business standpoint, they're doing fine and the right thing. From a basketball standpoint hitting on 2 guys from mid-majors in back to back drafts even if they play the same position on "best available" is actually pretty remarkable. The issue is, they should've moved one already, long before now. They've embraced each other and became a solid duo but at some point in the NBA, fit matters.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    No, I disagree with their approach all the way. But its about making money i.e. putting butts in seats, signing tv deals, selling merch, selling concessions and getting the consumers to want to come to your venue for other events outside of basketball too. What better way to show off your arena to potential consumers than a short basketball game?

So from a business standpoint, they're doing fine and the right thing. From a basketball standpoint hitting on 2 guys from mid-majors in back to back drafts even if they play the same position on "best available" is actually pretty remarkable. The issue is, they should've moved one already, long before now. They've embraced each other and became a solid duo but at some point in the NBA, fit matters.
    Iím with you 100% I think this team reached their peak last season with the WCF appearance. They could get a lot of assets for Lillard and even CJ. Lillard is a guy Iíd offer the farm to outside of Jimmy and Bam but donít know if thatís enough.

Sixers may offer up Simmons Smith and Thybulle.

Iím sure there are many other teams that would offer a lot.

I would trade Dame....

They'll sell the house before they trade Dame. And on top of that, they could do alot better than Simmons if they did want to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    I would trade Dame....
    Trade Melo.

After signing Turner and Crabbe to overpriced deals, it seems they've been trying to wait it out and clean up their salary cap as opposed to taking on salary. I don't know if they'll be able to make room for a significant signing anytime soon, but I'd be surprised if take on a player on a long-term deal such as Love who won't make much difference. I don't see them trading McCollum or Lillard. McCollum was always the one to trade if they were to trade one of them, but it really depends on what they'd be getting. They shouldn't make a trade just to break them up.

It seems that every other year the Blazers get asked this question. Our starting C and PF were both injured to start the year. They are a far better team with Nurkic and (to a lesser extent) Zach Collins. Whiteside is an expiring deal. Olshey is very good at re-tooling to surround Dame/CJ with complimentary pieces. This is a down year due to injuries, but I expect some trade for next season to make us competitive again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast