Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    Crew, what do you think about OJ Howard? IMO he is in the dog house in Tampa: he is entering his 4th year with an option for year 5. very affordable contract. Tampa rejected a high trade offer (rumored) from the Pats.
    Completely forgot about OJ, thats someone Id target and can probably get for cheap. Id like to think hes still an elite talent, put him with Rodgers and he becomes a dangerous weapon

I would love to take a cheap shot on Howard. That being said, if the rumors are true from the deadline, I doubt he's going to come cheap. Teams are really stupid about that stuff, but even if it actually is worth it, they are usually very reluctant to trade a former 1st rounder on his rookie deal for a mid to late rounder. And right now, I'm not sure I'd send more than like a 4 for Howard.

On the Anderson front, I would be willing to overpay a little. Most people last season said Z and Preston we potential overpayments and that turned out phenomenally. Anderson a similar look to him in the sense has been good, but didn't fully break out. Dudes been putting up numbers with garbage QB's. The way the WR core has looked a slight overpayment may not be the worst thing in the world. Cooper and Green will get a bigger contract if they go into the off-season and get their guy they can avoid a lot of the inflated contracts.

As for TE I don't see them looking for a playmaking type TE, Lefleur's system can thrive with blocking oriented TE's. We have a potential playmaking TE in house in Sternberger who was used in several spots late in the season. I like the limited looks from him. I don't know if they spend big money on TE if they don't have to. Lewis, I see coming back, and then maybe draft a TE.

Anderson fits in theory but he's the type of guy rodgers hasn't ever really used all that well. I would love a speed threat, but I'd kinda like a guy who could take a screen to the house as well. I wouldnt be upset if they got Anderson but I doubt I will be upset if we don't bring him in too. We need talent but I think we can get a similar grouping of talent without spending too much.

Anderson for me kind of stands as the "safe" option by comparison. I don't think they can skip adding some feasible option Green would be huge, but the issue is health. I have a hard time thinking Green is in play because they dropped both Cobb and Nelson the past two seasons to "get younger." Cooper would be too much capital to one player and now you are risking cap issues in the future. Outside Cooper, the WR class is either old and moving past their prime, or young and still unproven. If they want to look WR only options outside of Anderson maybe Breshaud Perriman who emerged a little bit the past season, but not sure he is an upgrade over what we have in maybe MVS and Lazard. The only other WR which would catch my eye would be Demarcus Robinson could be a worthwhile look if they believe he's a breakout waiting to happen and was simply buried by an embarrassment of riches in KC he still put up relatively respectable sharing the load with Hill, Hardman, Watkin, and Kelce.

I'm going to be interested in the Blake Martinez decision because if he could improve against the run he would be a great return, but being potentially one of the better ILB's if he hits the market he likely prices himself out of Green Bay. He's not amazing against the run and you really need your ILB to be that field general. I wouldn't be hurt either way because I think ILB is a spot they could get more physical at immediately. While I don't think he's as bad against the run as some think, they need better athleticism there. He was embarrassed by Raheem Mostert. Martinez is a hard decision because the talent is there and he's improved each year, but I'm not sold money to him wouldn't be better spent elsewhere. The only option on the market might be Joe Schobert.

I expect the Packers to be more bargain shoppers in this class though rather than home-run hitters.

Blake Martinez sure sounded like someone who knew he wasn't coming back to GB in his press conferences after the year. You and I have debated him quite a bit so it probably isn't worth rehashing all that much, but I'm not going to miss him a ton. Hes a good field general, solid blitzer and doesn't miss a ton of tackles. But he rarely makes impact plays, doesn't shoot gaps, struggles to get off blocks, is too slow to makeup for any delay in his read and poor in coverage, espeically man coverage. While he's the best ilb we've had since bishop, he still isn't all that good.

If he was our second best MLBer wed be set. But he isnt a good #1 and he isnt going to be worth the money hes going to demand

Martinez's lateral speed is so bad that sometimes he diagnoses the play correctly and still can't make it.

At ILB in this year's market all the top ILB's lack athleticism which would upgrade us at ILB. They have two guys with this speed and athleticism in house in Oren Burks and Ty Summers, but they either haven't gotten much time or simply haven't shown much. Looking at the draft class and free agent class, I wonder if this is the direction they may go. The had also been using Ibraheim Campbell as a dime LB.

I would be interested in adding a d-lineman we have Clark and Lowry, but no one else has stepped up. I would be interested to see if they look at a guy like Leonard Williams, Javon Hargrave, or Michael Pierce. I don't think they can go another year with Lancaster starting, nice depth guy though. I didn't have an issue letting go of Mike Daniel, but Adams didn't step up at all and I think that was the plan. Might make sense as they likely spend early draft capital towards the offensive side this year.

I think any spending the Packers do this year will be of the bargain kind. They have a bunch of in house guys that are going to need contracts Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Bahktiari, Linsley, Crosby and guys whose contracts are up and the packers may want to keep in Bulaga, and Kevin King.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I think any spending the Packers do this year will be of the bargain kind. They have a bunch of in house guys that are going to need contracts Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Bahktiari, Linsley, Crosby and guys whose contracts are up and the packers may want to keep in Bulaga, and Kevin King.
    Certainly don't disagree. I would argue they likely only bring either Jones or Williams back unless they both take team-friendly deals. Also, I would say smart money would be on Bulaga not returning unless he takes a hometown discount. He still one of the best RT's, but giving him the contract he is likely going to land may not be worth the risk considering his age and past health. They have a few options as they could slide Billy Turner to RT, draft someone (either RT or RG), or if Turner moves they could slide Patrick or Madison on the right side. History isn't on his side rarely has the team kept OLinemen into their 30's. Clifton and Tauscher may have been the only significant names I can remember in recent memory who both were here until 32. Sitton went at 30, Lang 29, Rivera 31, just to name a few off the top of my head. I would not be shocked to see the team take a two or three OLmen this draft.

I doubt Williams gets much. He's very replacable to be honest. Decent in pass pro and has nice hands, but he doesn't really get you much more than what's given. You can find his replacement in the middle of the draft.

I hope the plan isn't to kick out turner. He's been bad at RT in his career. I'm good with him as an emergency, but I sure hope the plan isn't to move him to RT. I know history isn't on his side for what the packers have done in the past, but there really isnt a plan B in house and I'd hate to lock ourselves into having to draft one early regardless. I think there's a good chance Bulaga is back.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I doubt Williams gets much. He's very replacable to be honest. Decent in pass pro and has nice hands, but he doesn't really get you much more than what's given. You can find his replacement in the middle of the draft.

I hope the plan isn't to kick out turner. He's been bad at RT in his career. I'm good with him as an emergency, but I sure hope the plan isn't to move him to RT. I know history isn't on his side for what the packers have done in the past, but there really isnt a plan B in house and I'd hate to lock ourselves into having to draft one early regardless. I think there's a good chance Bulaga is back.
    Bulaga's return really would be on how flexible he is going to be. If he gets multiple years from Green Bay it will be via options. I think Bulaga back or not they need to draft one earlyish both tackles are either 30 or nearing it, Bakhtiari will be 29 in the season. I'm not fond of Turner moving outside, I've also read Jenkins could be an option to move outside as well. Not sure about that as there is limited tape of him playing tackle. I would make the argument that even in the spots where they have moved on from some of the OL guys it didn't appear there was a plan B in house, but sure enough there was IE Sitton left, but in came Lane Taylor. Bulaga is certainly worth discussing being an exception to the rule though. They seem to be more flexible with tackles than guards, Clifton and Tauscher were here two-three seasons into their 30s.

Thing is lane Taylor had been with the team for 3 years. We didn't see it coming, but in hindsight, it's not hard so see it made some sense. Even with letting Lang walk, McCray started 8 games the year prior and looked decent.

For RT, there's really nothing. Unless it is move a guard, which creates another hole or a spot for Patrick. But we all saw light a few times this year. He was replaced mid season by a guy who was all but retired. Hard to even squint and see an in house candidate.

I've been reading around, it sounds like the Chiefs may cut ties with Sammy Watkins, he could be a far more cost-effective option. May not always display consistency and the best hands, but there would be a lot of potential to adding him if the plan is to take a WR in the draft. His route running ability, age would pair well with the group. If he hits the market would be interesting in thoughts? To me, you have pretty consistent guys in Adams and Watkins, with two big targets in Lazard, St. Brown, and a high potential wild-card in MVS. If you're looking for another WR the draft's pretty deep. Not sure if he hits the market or maybe even sits the year out, but throwing out the idea.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast