Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thatís if he wants to even play

downside with Watkins, even in a prolific passing offense he disappears for games on end.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Thatís if he wants to even play
    Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    downside with Watkins, even in a prolific passing offense he disappears for games on end.
    You're both certainly not wrong, but comparing him to the rest of the class I would say he could be potentially the best option. Can't afford Cooper in my view, Green may be too pricey as well, even if he isn't his healthy throws up a question mark. Then you have the group of Anderson and Sanders. I like both options there, Sanders maybe on a one-year rental deal, but if you are going to one-year rental on an aging player might as well bring Cobb back who has chemistry with QB1. Watkins and Anderson about the same age two different skills, but Anderson has a few questions off the field, and that should give the Packers some pause. Watkins comes with few concerns. May be inconsistent, but I don't think Lazard is a fluke, they likely draft a guy maybe two, and we have two pass catchers out of the backfield. Sternberger is going to get some looks and a potential TE draftee as well. So if Watkins isn't always clicking it won't be huge. If they don't add a WR in free agency not the end of the world either.

I don't think spend money on a FA WR is the answer. They all get over paid and the guy's we can afford won't be of much help. I think we need to draft 2 or 3 WR's in this draft. They expect 20 to go in the 1st 3 rounds as it's the deepest draft ever for wide outs. Normally it's not a good idea to count on rookie WR's, but that's changing these days. Look at AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel as examples. Many rookies will take a year or 2 to develop. Drafting one of those type would be fine, but we should look for others that are ready to step in and contribute immediately. Tyler Johnson would fit that description in round 2 or 3. Cephus would also be ready to contribute as a later pick, maybe 5th round.

I think we should spend money at ILB, either Littleton or Schobert. Both are way better in coverage than Martinez and about as good against the run. There are no ILB's in the NFL that could stop what the 49ers did to us. If were trying to shore up the run defense, we need to address the D Line, either with an early draft pick or in FA like Darius from Jacksonville. Spend our money on the defense again and draft heavy on offense.

If were serious about going all in, we should look to trade our 2021 1st round pick for an early 2nd in this draft. Miami has 3 1st rounders, so they'd love to swap our unprotected 1st from 2021 for pick 39 in this draft. I like our odd's much better adding another early pick this year.

I wonder if we'd consider a trade. A guy like Dante Pettis has seemingly fallen out of favor in San Fran. They also need depth and young help at CB. They have a first rounder and then don't pick agaim until the 5th. I wonder if a change of scenery type of deal involving Josh Jackson for Pettis would make sense for both sides. Pettis has shown a little more than what Jackson has so it's possible we'd have to sprinkle in some draft capital, or possibly a pick swap type of deal, but that might be interesting. I liked Pettis coming out, so I'd like to bring him in.

Since this draft is loaded with wrís it might bring down the price on the fa wrs this year

I like the Pettis for Jackson idea but I agree with Cheese that I'd rather dtaft a couple guys in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

In free agency I would go for a couple depth signings like Mercedes Lewis was a couple years ago. I am wouldn't mind Joe Schobert but I can't see us going after JoeScho instead of trying to keep Martinez unless some other team offer him way to much.

Maliek Collins, Jordan Howard, Corey Coleman, David Onyemata, Blake Jarwin, and Tyler Eifert could be guys who would sign cheap 1/2 year deals, and provide depth with some upside to be more than bordeline starters or backups.

I don't mind going 2 wr early, but that also means we need to spend money elsewhere. The nice part about a Jackson Pettis swap is that while it may make CB a bit weaker, I'm not sure we can count on JJ anyways and it means we only go 1 wr early and still have another pick to spend elsewhere.

Same reason why I'd rather either trade for a Pettis type or sign another cheaper end WR and draft a guy as opposed to just drafting. We technically have money to spend, but with extensions looming and contract structures ticking up, we don't really have a ton to spend, so we'll need to adjust holes via the draft. And spending like a 2nd and 3rd on a wr makes it tougher to fill other spots.

I agree it makes sense to sign a low-risk guy or trade, but I would draw the line at the trade proposed. I would be wary about giving up on Jackson because of one down year especially after he looked promising just one year earlier. Pettis would be going from a similar system, we may be a little more pass-oriented, but I would rather take a flier on a free agent than trade for Pettis and hope Jackson doesn't develop. We've had a bad habit over the past 8-10 years of stepping away from DB's far too soon. Also, I think we for sure will have three receivers Adams, MVS, Lazard that are better than Pettis. Pettis I would argue could be lured away for a 5-6 round pick.

I think we can't avoid adding a veteran WR. I think Nelson Agolor is actually a really interesting buy-low candidate, his season was unexplainably off. However, he wasn't as bad as social media chalked him up to be. He had drops which were highlighted because of the situation, he over the past three seasons has 165 receptions, 63% catch percentage, 15 TD's, and 1867 yards. He's an excellent buy-low candidate. Some people have him ranked around Geronimo in their free-agent rankings. He would be a high potential FA and double down in the draft.

I would argue the Jackson looked promising a year earlier point pretty heavily. Jackson had a good rookie pre-season and that was it. He was pretty poor last year and was passed by undrafted Chandon Sullivan this year. I also wouldnt be shocked if Hollman passes him too.

And the point of Pettis could be lured away for a late round pick applies to JJ too. Same with the promising thing. Pettis had an okay rookie year and was actually thought to be potentially the 49ers #1 wr this year. I think most would argue Pettis had the better rookie year and was more highly thought of coming into the season. But that's what makes them an attractive swap. Both probably need a change of scenery.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 02-13-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I would argue the Jackson looked promising a year earlier point pretty heavily. Jackson had a good rookie pre-season and that was it. He was pretty poor last year and was passed by undrafted Chandon Sullivan this year. I also wouldnt be shocked if Hollman passes him too.

And the point of Pettis could be lured away for a late round pick applies to JJ too. Same with the promising thing. Pettis had an okay rookie year and was actually thought to be potentially the 49ers #1 wr this year. I think most would argue Pettis had the better rookie year and was more highly thought of coming into the season. But that's what makes them an attractive swap. Both probably need a change of scenery.
    I mean there is enough depth where they could move Jackson, but I would honestly like to see him get another year and coached under Gray to see if he connect. I'm also just not overly enthused by Pettis either. Pettis may have had the better rookie year, but I would say he had the slightly worse second season. A chance of scenery could work, maybe its because Jimmy G isn't that great I'm not sure. But for me I'm more on the side of getting a guy where we have an idea of what we are getting Pettis may grow to a great player, but I would prefer a guy where we know he can put up at least respectable #3 numbers.

How did he have a worse 2nd season? Josh Jackson didn't play. He played 9% of the snaps on defense this year. Pettis still played 30% of the snaps for San Fran.

And I truly think jackson is a bad fit in this defense. If he's going to have success, it has to be in a zone system. He's not athletic or physical enough for a man system. Even if he cleans up his relatively sketchy footwork, he doesn't have the athleticism to chase wr's in man all day. And for mediocre athletes to be successful at corner, they need to be physical and Jackson seemed to avoid contact. He needs to be in a cover 3 system and we don't run that.

How did he have a worse 2nd season? Josh Jackson didn't play. He played 9% of the snaps on defense this year. Pettis still played 30% of the snaps for San Fran.

And I truly think jackson is a bad fit in this defense. If he's going to have success, it has to be in a zone system. He's not athletic or physical enough for a man system. Even if he cleans up his relatively sketchy footwork, he doesn't have the athleticism to chase wr's in man all day. And for mediocre athletes to be successful at corner, they need to be physical and Jackson seemed to avoid contact. He needs to be in a cover 3 system and we don't run that.
    I won't argue the point Jackson may be a bad fit for this scheme, and I think that's plausible. I'm more towards give him another camp and decide, but if they trade him there is plenty of depth to cover his spot.

Either way, it's potato "potato", both had trash seasons so end the end we arguing which dumpster fire shines the brightest. For me, Pettis was worse because he was on the field and still did nothing. Robert Tonyan all but put up the same numbers for us with half the snaps. If anything the Packers we more merciful and prevented Jackson from embarrassing himself. He finished 10th in receiving on the Niners and it's not like the Niners were stacked at WR. Yeah, Jackson was passed by Sullivan, but Pettis was outproduced by UDFA's Kendrick Bourne, Raheem Mostert and Ross Dwelley had more receptions, 7th rounder Richie James outproduced him. Pettis was a major reason they needed to trade for Emmanuel Sanders.

Though it's not a need, what about Jordan Howard to come in and compete for the 3rd spot, the season I say this I didn't see anything from Dexter Williams which showed the team has much confidence in him. Howard at a minimum makes Dexter earn the job. I'm tired of seeing the mid-season band-aid pick up as well. I don't think Howard would cost too much either.

I was never impressed with Dexter but was surprised we kept him on the team the full year. Makes me think we like him. I thought Tre Carson was better but we kept Dexter. Maybe he showed a little more behind the scenes than the rest of us saw. Just seemed kind of odd that we would hold him that long when I really doubt he would have been scooped up.

I dont hate Howard but I also don't mind basically taking a rb somewhere between the 4th and 6th round almost every year. You can always use at least 2 and they tend to burn out pretty quick that I don't mind trying to create sort of a constant flow of rookie contract rbs with relatively low picks. Maybe mix in a 3rd rounder once and awhile.

I was never impressed with Dexter but was surprised we kept him on the team the full year. Makes me think we like him. I thought Tre Carson was better but we kept Dexter. Maybe he showed a little more behind the scenes than the rest of us saw. Just seemed kind of odd that we would hold him that long when I really doubt he would have been scooped up.

I dont hate Howard but I also don't mind basically taking a rb somewhere between the 4th and 6th round almost every year. You can always use at least 2 and they tend to burn out pretty quick that I don't mind trying to create sort of a constant flow of rookie contract rbs with relatively low picks. Maybe mix in a 3rd rounder once and awhile.
    I could be because Jones and Williams were doing well enough, or maybe they seem something, but yeah he didn't show much in the games. RB's now days are often in pairs or even trios, there are some interesting RB's in the draft which should be mid-round guys like Zach Moss. Reggie Corbin would be a nice late-round look too. I think at a minimum we need someone competing with him for the spot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast