Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

If Giannis doesnt remain with the bucks

do we need to do something about the supermax? there is no reason he should leave but if he does does the supermax need to be upped for small market teams to keep these guys? this dude is staying in my opinion because nobody turns down that much money along with the weapons they put around him buts its a scary thought for small market teams if he walks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBHpRBam-g

it was on the jump.

They need to find a way to really make these guys think twice. The bigger issue I think the guys that aren't eligible for a supermax. Using my own team as an example Hayward leaving he didn't really leave much on the table by going to Boston. That is probably a bigger issue IMO.

Rippin' lips son!!

The NBA needs to either allow the current team to make a ridiculously higher offer or implement a franchise tag, IF they want players to stay with smaller teams. I'm not sure the NBA actually wants that, they just want the illusion that small markets can retain top players

Would teams being more willing to give a NTC in their contract help at all with this issue or will they be setting themselves up for failure giving the players that power?

When Giannis signs in Miami in 2021 I wouldnít hesitate to give him a NTC

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    do we need to do something about the supermax? there is no reason he should leave but if he does does the supermax need to be upped for small market teams to keep these guys? this dude is staying in my opinion because nobody turns down that much money along with the weapons they put around him buts its a scary thought for small market teams if he walks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBHpRBam-g

it was on the jump.
    Kawhi left money on the table twice on his way to LA. Players will end up going where they want. Even if they sign the super max nothing stops them from demanding a trade to their preferred destination.

If the Bucks flop again in this year's playoffs I'd be worried if I was a Bucks fan.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    The NBA needs to either allow the current team to make a ridiculously higher offer or implement a franchise tag, IF they want players to stay with smaller teams. I'm not sure the NBA actually wants that, they just want the illusion that small markets can retain top players
    I think they also need to not have a contract extension be worth so much more when they hit FA as opposed to signing ASAP.

Like the only reason thereís any AD speculation is if he signs now with the Lakers vs Offseason with Lakers is $60mil. Thatís stupid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Kawhi left money on the table twice on his way to LA. Players will end up going where they want. Even if they sign the super max nothing stops them from demanding a trade to their preferred destination.

If the Bucks flop again in this year's playoffs I'd be worried if I was a Bucks fan.
    If they donít win this year or next heís gone. As a team hopeful to get him, Iím rooting against the Bucks in every playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    If they donít win this year or next heís gone. As a team hopeful to get him, Iím rooting against the Bucks in every playoff game.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. By then Butler will be 32 going on 33. The window for the Heat to contend with Butler is now. Waiting on Giannis would be futile. Also the two best players on Miami (Butler/BAM) don't even compliment Giannis.

There's always a chance, but I don't see it as being a strong one bro. Why not go all in now while Miami is looking to be a contender with a super star in his prime.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. By then Butler will be 32 going on 33. The window for the Heat to contend with Butler is now. Waiting on Giannis would be futile. Also the two best players on Miami (Butler/BAM) don't even compliment Giannis.

There's always a chance, but I don't see it as being a strong one bro. Why not go all in now while Miami is looking to be a contender with a super star in his prime.
    The plan that Iíve seen as of now is do whatever we can to compete now but not at the cost of 2021 cap space so weíll see what route they take. That may very well change

This, many players who wanted to stay anonymous said it before last summer, money isn't even their first choice now, they want to play where they want, if they chose a big market money will come with the sponsors etc.

Why do we care about keeping players with their original team? I think players should be allowed to leave and still get the same compensation from other teams. I donít like the idea of the team that drafts you to be able to offer you more money than others.

Itís all fair game. Leonard was traded to Toronto out of spite. Leonard had his future planned out regardless. The Claw made the best of it and become a legend with that magical run in Toronto. He took less $ to get what he wanted all long. He obviously did not quit in Toronto last year and left on great terms.

The league shouldnít give the teams more power. The league should honor what Leonard did against a team trying to abuse the power they had over him. Learn from that example. Players get traded away because of the power the team has over them. Once the player is free of that power they should stay free to follow the original plan they had.

Perfect example. We donít feel sorry for players getting traded to Detroit while making $177 million. We feel even less sorry for players leaving Milwaukee when the owner is worth $1.8 Billion.

I don't think there's any amount of money that's going to keep players on teams they don't want to stay on anymore. If that player is good enough to command max contract money across the board, he's also probably good enough to net major endorsement deals. The money to be made off the court often helps supplement the money lost on max deals with new teams. The only way I can see that changing is if the NBA abolished max contracts and allowed players to get paid whatever they wanted.

Giannis is an unrestricted free agent in 2021. Paul George and Kawhi Leonard can opt out and join that class. LeBron James as well. Anthony Davis might just sign a 1-and-1 deal this offseason with the Lakers. It can be an absolutely massive free agent class, so obviously this June and next season will play a huge role. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Giannis move to a new team if Milwaukee can't cash in either this year or next. Loyalty only goes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Why do we care about keeping players with their original team? I think players should be allowed to leave and still get the same compensation from other teams. I donít like the idea of the team that drafts you to be able to offer you more money than others.
    It's the NBA mitigating its own tragedy of the commons. If NBA players prefer migrating toward richer, big-market coastal teams, fine. They can take a pay cut in exchange for abandoning middle- or small-market America. It's even more palatable these days with how easy and quick it is for an NBA player hop on a jet and go anywhere for their non-basketball activities in relatively little time.
    The change of draft odds was a good move to slightly disincentivize losing as much as possible, and to help those middling teams out a bit.
    The NBA could help the situation further by requiring more professional development for front offices. Teams that are managed well can hold onto their young stars.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast