Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's not likely going to be Parsons doing it, but his insurance companies building full of lawyers doing it.
    The insurance company can only be sued up to the policy limits. Anything in excess goes as personal liability.

    So I assume someone drunk driving so recklessly may not have any assets worth talking about. Even if they have a nice 401k, house, and savings, it surely won't cover his "loss of work" and other expenses. So if he can get the maximum insurance payout and ruin the person financially, that's probably the end goal.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,654
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    The insurance company can only be sued up to the policy limits. Anything in excess goes as personal liability.

    So I assume someone drunk driving so recklessly may not have any assets worth talking about. Even if they have a nice 401k, house, and savings, it surely won't cover his "loss of work" and other expenses. So if he can get the maximum insurance payout and ruin the person financially, that's probably the end goal.
    I meant insurance companies sue people and anybody they can come up with to sue to collect money. Don't assume it's Parsons personally suing. Parson's insurance will pay him then sue people in his name to collect the money they paid out to Parsons.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    9,088
    I did my post doc at a brain injury rehab facility and it is not uncommon for people of Parson's permanent injuries to get 7 figure settlements. It usually takes 2-3 years. About 3 clients (when I was there) received settlements of about 1-3 mil and lifetime health insurance for free. They were happy to get the money but all 3 would trade all that money to be healthy again. That is what they told me anyway.

    I feel for Parsons. He never was able to play in his prime. At least he got paid though. Wish him the best.

    "The moment you give up, is the moment you let someone else win."

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I meant insurance companies sue people and anybody they can come up with to sue to collect money. Don't assume it's Parsons personally suing. Parson's insurance will pay him then sue people in his name to collect the money they paid out to Parsons.
    That's true.

    But I'm still trying to figure out: where do people think the money and the large settlements are coming from?

    I can sue a homeless person living out of their car if they hit me. But all I can collect is what their insurance will pay if they even have any.... As well as the limits of what their assets are, which are nothing. Even if they work it's hard for them to make payments towards the judgment amount to make enough difference.

    It's kind of like OJ Simpson lost the $58M civil judgment to the Brown family.... But it's still largely unpaid even to this day. For Parsons' sake his hope is the liable driver isn't poor. Otherwise he's suing just for spite.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    2,483
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    The insurance company can only be sued up to the policy limits. Anything in excess goes as personal liability.

    So I assume someone drunk driving so recklessly may not have any assets worth talking about. Even if they have a nice 401k, house, and savings, it surely won't cover his "loss of work" and other expenses. So if he can get the maximum insurance payout and ruin the person financially, that's probably the end goal.
    Hard to get at a 401k in a lawsuit, its generally exempt from creditors, also if the state has homestead exemptions, may not be able to get the home. Basically, they will try and force them into bankruptcy but at that point you make sure everyone but them gets paid and then do a long term payout if you want to come out of bankruptcy or walk away if there isn't anything there.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

    Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,654
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    That's true.

    But I'm still trying to figure out: where do people think the money and the large settlements are coming from?

    I can sue a homeless person living out of their car if they hit me. But all I can collect is what their insurance will pay if they even have any.... As well as the limits of what their assets are, which are nothing. Even if they work it's hard for them to make payments towards the judgment amount to make enough difference.

    It's kind of like OJ Simpson lost the $58M civil judgment to the Brown family.... But it's still largely unpaid even to this day. For Parsons' sake his hope is the liable driver isn't poor. Otherwise he's suing just for spite.
    The insurance company will sue the driver, the person who sold them the alcohol, the city the accident happened in, anything they can come up with to get their money back. They are paying the lawyers regardless so it's not going to cost them to go after every penny. It's just to limit loss. They probably don't expect to get it all back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •