Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Case Keenum looked good for a year in Minnesota, too....and was younger than Tannehill.
    How has it worked out for teams having paid him?

    Ryan will get paid...by someone...no doubt. Projections are in the 3/75 range
    The Titans are currently projected to have over $45mil in cap space with the new cap around $200mil, so maybe it's a moot point

    What is NOT a moot point these days is....what DO you pay a guy like Henry?
    The Vikings have a similar issue....what DO you pay a guy like Cook?
    Saying you don't pay running backs because of their short shelf life doesn't take into account the fact that, despite the league being more of a passing league, championships are still generally won with a strong defense and a solid running game.
    I think a good to great oline can muster a solid running game so I wouldn't pony up the loot personally. In terms of the qb it all depends on how much he wants in nrelation to my analysis of his skills and if I think he'll handle the bright lights of the playoffs.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    10,507
    so to some of you, if you draft a back that becomes a top of the league type back....and just let him walk when his rookie contract is up? then do what, hope to do the same in the draft again.......while someone else pays your guy?

    Yet most any other position, you're clamoring to sign top guys for top dollar...
    I understand the shelf life question, even not giving any back a Todd Gurley contract....but even Gurley wouldn't rank top 10 in salary vs wide receivers...Julio got 22mil at 29...think he at 32 is going to be worth that vs Henry or Cook 3 years from now?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,371
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    so to some of you, if you draft a back that becomes a top of the league type back....and just let him walk when his rookie contract is up? then do what, hope to do the same in the draft again.......while someone else pays your guy?

    Yet most any other position, you're clamoring to sign top guys for top dollar...
    I understand the shelf life question, even not giving any back a Todd Gurley contract....but even Gurley wouldn't rank top 10 in salary vs wide receivers...Julio got 22mil at 29...think he at 32 is going to be worth that vs Henry or Cook 3 years from now?
    I think the Titans are in a situation with Henry that they can't not sign him, but there's plenty of risk. He's a fairly one dimensional player, needs good blocking, and imo is one bad injury from being useless (due to his size). I like his downfield physical running style, but there's a solid chance signing him to a big deal backfires.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    so to some of you, if you draft a back that becomes a top of the league type back....and just let him walk when his rookie contract is up? then do what, hope to do the same in the draft again.......while someone else pays your guy?

    Yet most any other position, you're clamoring to sign top guys for top dollar...
    I understand the shelf life question, even not giving any back a Todd Gurley contract....but even Gurley wouldn't rank top 10 in salary vs wide receivers...Julio got 22mil at 29...think he at 32 is going to be worth that vs Henry or Cook 3 years from now?
    Jets paid bell and are regretting it. Conner has been solid when healthy in his place because our line is good. Cards are regretting D. Johnson signing and Drake played better vs. him this yea afte being acquiesced from Miami. Zeke's backup Pollard has run the ball arguably better (Not necessarily catching it as well) after Zeke got the big money. Ekler has done well replacing Gordon after he held out. I don't think they missed him when he was gone.

    Gurley was a injury concern since he was drafted and before he entered the league, so Rams took a gamble there.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I think the Titans are in a situation with Henry that they can't not sign him, but there's plenty of risk. He's a fairly one dimensional player, needs good blocking, and imo is one bad injury from being useless (due to his size). I like his downfield physical running style, but there's a solid chance signing him to a big deal backfires.
    Another thing I like about Henry other then the things you mention is he runs with attitude, the opposite of Trent Richardson for the Browns.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    16,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Jets paid bell and are regretting it. Conner has been solid when healthy in his place because our line is good. Cards are regretting D. Johnson signing and Drake played better vs. him this yea afte being acquiesced from Miami. Zeke's backup Pollard has run the ball arguably better (Not necessarily catching it as well) after Zeke got the big money. Ekler has done well replacing Gordon after he held out. I don't think they missed him when he was gone.

    Gurley was a injury concern since he was drafted and before he entered the league, so Rams took a gamble there.
    The person who paid Bell lost his job before Bell even played a snap. Conner has been solid but nowhere close to Bell.

    Drake hasn't really outplayed Johnson, but he is a good back who fits the Cardinals' scheme well. This can happen at any position and isn't really an argument that you shouldn't pay top players.

    The argument about Pollard and Zeke is literally the Toby Gerhart argument. Jags fans thought he would be good after he put up a high rushing average relieving Adrian Peterson. BTW Pollard had a very crucial fumble in the game that decided the NFC East.

    Ekeler has clearly outplayed Gordon this season, but the Chargers also went from winning a playoff game last season to missing the playoffs entirely.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 01-19-2020 at 04:47 AM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    16,261
    I think Tannehill is an above average QB but I thought so even before he landed in a situation where he had a great OL and running game, plus a good defense.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The person who paid Bell lost his job before Bell even played a snap. Conner has been solid but nowhere close to Bell.

    Drake hasn't really outplayed Johnson, but he is a good back who fits the Cardinals' scheme well. This can happen at any position and isn't really an argument that you shouldn't pay top players.

    The argument about Pollard and Zeke is literally the Toby Gerhart argument. Jags fans thought he would be good after he put up a high rushing average relieving Adrian Peterson. BTW Pollard had a very crucial fumble in the game that decided the NFC East.

    Ekeler has clearly outplayed Gordon this season, but the Chargers also went from winning a playoff game last season to missing the playoffs entirely.
    I think Elite qbs and wrs live up to their 2nd/3rd contracts better vs. rbs. pass rushers are hit and miss after signing 2nd/3rd contracts as well (not as sure as the skill guys on offense, just wildly guessing). With analytics gms and front offices are getting better at signing pass rushers and defensive players.

    Julio/AB/Hopkins/AJ and whomever else is a top 5 wr seem to prove worth and value more vs. the top 5 rb imo. I think Michael Thomas will live up to his contract. Maybe OBJ can be considered a minor flop?

    As for QBs all the top 10 guys barring health live through their 2nd and 3rd big contracts. Flacco was a flop after being paid and winning the bowl, but no one really thought he was an above average passer.

    Also I think the Steelers are better off with a low cost rb that can contribute like conner in terms of building a championship caliber team and cap management vs. paying Bell who was better in Pitt but not worth the price and hit on the cap. Most of all Bell's lack of being a home run threat and explosive plays always made me think he wasn't worth the loot. Henry has more explosiveness imo vs. Bell.
    Last edited by Heediot; 01-19-2020 at 05:09 AM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,447
    I personally don't think there's any chance the Titans let Henry walk. You can tell Vrabel really likes him, I bet Robinson really likes him, and the fanbase pretty much adores him. He's a gym rat, a guy that works hard and plays hard, and is a very likeable guy and a good character to have in your locker room. Besides of that, they have built most of their identity around him. What they tried to do with Mariota, eventually ended up happening with Henry. He's as much of a great personality as Marcus was, and 5x the player on the field that Marcus is. And you can definitely tell that Henry has brought into the culture as well, and loves being there. He's a humble guy who lets what he does on the field speak for himself, and has offered the fans a few quite memorable moments so far in his career. So, apart from losing the guy that they chose to carry them on his back through two pretty big upsets over New England and Baltimore and the league leading rusher, they would be losing a big part of who they are as a team now. I doubt Vrabel & Robinson would ever let that happen.

    As for Tannehill, Robinson initially tried to sign him to a 2-year contract. They obviously liked him and how he fits into what they're trying to do before he saw the field as a Titan, and it's hard not to love him even more now. I think they absolutely find a way to sign him back as well.

    Also, they have two more important decisions to make, on Conklin and Ryan. They both have been pretty huge pieces of their success. Ryan has been just a damn solid player on defense since he came here and also checks pretty much every box into what they're looking for in terms of leadership and great locker room players. Conklin has bounced back big time this year and I bet they regret a little bit now the decision of not picking up his 5th year option, even though at the time it was the correct call. It'd be interesting to see if they can find a way to keep all 4 of them, and if not, who they prioritize.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Another thing I like about Henry other then the things you mention is he runs with attitude, the opposite of Trent Richardson for the Browns.
    I'll always remember Trent Richardson for how bad his vision was. If running into the entire defense despite having wide open running lanes isnt attitude I dont know what is lol.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,678
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Case Keenum looked good for a year in Minnesota, too....and was younger than Tannehill.
    How has it worked out for teams having paid him?

    Ryan will get paid...by someone...no doubt. Projections are in the 3/75 range
    The Titans are currently projected to have over $45mil in cap space with the new cap around $200mil, so maybe it's a moot point

    What is NOT a moot point these days is....what DO you pay a guy like Henry?
    The Vikings have a similar issue....what DO you pay a guy like Cook?
    Saying you don't pay running backs because of their short shelf life doesn't take into account the fact that, despite the league being more of a passing league, championships are still generally won with a strong defense and a solid running game.
    Ideally you overpay in the short term to avoid the term going over 3 years or you franchise him. What you don't do is give em 5 or more years with a ton of Gaurenteed money and risk having to cut him in 2 years with huge cap penalties.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,129
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Case Keenum looked good for a year in Minnesota, too....and was younger than Tannehill.
    How has it worked out for teams having paid him?

    Ryan will get paid...by someone...no doubt. Projections are in the 3/75 range
    The Titans are currently projected to have over $45mil in cap space with the new cap around $200mil, so maybe it's a moot point

    What is NOT a moot point these days is....what DO you pay a guy like Henry?
    The Vikings have a similar issue....what DO you pay a guy like Cook?
    Saying you don't pay running backs because of their short shelf life doesn't take into account the fact that, despite the league being more of a passing league, championships are still generally won with a strong defense and a solid running game.
    Rich Gannon was average at best until he was in his 30ís and landed on a team that was a perfect fit for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34,595
    Tannehill is easily replaced. Henry is not.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,371
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Tannehill is easily replaced. Henry is not.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but were in a league whether there's not 15 QBs you can win with and teams throw away RBs left and right, you can find a stud RB easily any draft yet some drafts don't have any good QBs and they usually go in the top half of round 1.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    10,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Jets paid bell and are regretting it. Conner has been solid when healthy in his place because our line is good. Cards are regretting D. Johnson signing and Drake played better vs. him this yea afte being acquiesced from Miami. Zeke's backup Pollard has run the ball arguably better (Not necessarily catching it as well) after Zeke got the big money. Ekler has done well replacing Gordon after he held out. I don't think they missed him when he was gone.

    Gurley was a injury concern since he was drafted and before he entered the league, so Rams took a gamble there.
    Bell- near 1500 rushes and 500 targets passing despite missing 2018
    Henry- 800 rushes and 75 targets

    He just doesn't have the miles on him other starting backs his age generally have....nor the injury history (people forget Gurley missed most of a year in college with an ACL opening the door for Chubb)
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •