Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

I'd just like to say, for those who were not there, for those who don't remember, or those who never knew.

1987 was a strike shortened season, players picketed practice fields, there were fights. It was ugly.

But Jerry Rice was beautiful. He caught 65 passes for 1078 yards in that shortened season for 22 TDs. He had a TD in better than 1 in 3 catches. How insane is that?

There are a lot of great WRs but there is only one Jerry Rice and he's all by himself.

Share a favorite Jerry story or stat!

On the night Tim Brown caught his 1000th career pass, and the game was stopped for an extended celebration of how great he was and he moved into 2nd place all time in receiving yards ... on the very next play Jerry Rice caught a 26 yard touchdown for his 192nd of his career and his 1441st catch of his career. 3 years later Tim Brown retired with a total of 100TDs and 1094 catches ... JR retired 3 years later too, but with slightly better stats: 207TDs and 1549 catches.

In 1997 Rice's career was "finished" when he tore up his knee twice in one season (which is amazing in and of itself) at the age of 35 when most players at that position are retiring.

So what did he do after he was "done"?

529 catches, 6947 yards, 46 TDs

Hall of Fame WR Lynn Swann's career numbers:

336 catches, 5462 yards, 51 TDs

Jerry Rice basically had a Hall of Fame worthy career after he turned 35 years old and tore up his knee.

(and I know the game changed over time, but Rice and Swann's careers were not far from overlapping, and part of why the game changed is because of Rice. John Stallworth made the Hall, his career overlapped with Rice and his numbers were not much more than Swann's)

My favorite Jerry Rice moment was the game where he scored 5 TDs against the Falcons.

Man, what else can be said? If The San Francisco Treat played football today, his numbers would be insane.

I may be biased. I was born in ‘81. My earliest football memories are prime Jerry. He is my all-time favorite football player. But the numbers, the accolades, the awards, the longevity; it’s simultaneously unbelievable and absolutely real.

What has always stood out to me about Jerry Rice though were the legendary stories from the other players that he worked with.

One such story that has always sort of molded my mindset as a fitness enthusiast pertains to his work ethic; Ricky Watters discussing running the daunted Jerry Rice cardio routine through the San Francisco hills.

This one, and stories like it, speaks volumes of this guy’s near-mythical work ethic which is to credit for his ability to play with 100% effort, from the first whistle to the last, every game for 20 incredible years.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    In 1997 Rice's career was "finished" when he tore up his knee twice in one season (which is amazing in and of itself) at the age of 35 when most players at that position are retiring.

So what did he do after he was "done"?

529 catches, 6947 yards, 46 TDs

Hall of Fame WR Lynn Swann's career numbers:

336 catches, 5462 yards, 51 TDs

Jerry Rice basically had a Hall of Fame worthy career after he turned 35 years old and tore up his knee.

(and I know the game changed over time, but Rice and Swann's careers were not far from overlapping, and part of why the game changed is because of Rice. John Stallworth made the Hall, his career overlapped with Rice and his numbers were not much more than Swann's)
    99rec 1394yds 6 TDs
    92rec 1211yds 7 TDs

One is Julio Jones at 30... the other is Jerry Rice at 40

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    99rec 1394yds 6 TDs
    92rec 1211yds 7 TDs

One is Julio Jones at 30... the other is Jerry Rice at 40
    I like it!

Another story ... Montana once said that Rice's routes were so accurate that he could throw the ball to Jerry's 8 or Jerry's 0 on comeback routes so Joe could tell Jerry by where he put the ball which way to turn after the catch to turn away from the defenders so Jerry had the best chance at getting more YAC. These were throws BEFORE Jerry turned for the ball mind you.

I guess that's what can happen when you have two all time greats playing together.

There was a Jerry Rice special I saw many years ago, and at one point they were looking at film with Browns CBs McKyer and Griffin. They showed a clip and paused it when Jerry put his hand up while running his route and asked the CBs "What does this mean?" They answered "that's when all the air leaves the stadium" "What do you mean?" They both said "everyone in the stadium goes ..." and they opened their mouths and took a big breath in and their eyes got wide. I wish I could find that clip.

How about when Jerry Rice tore his ACL and came back and played in the same season.

Granted, it sucks that it happened, but 3 month recovery time for an ACL isn't human

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    How about when Jerry Rice tore his ACL and came back and played in the same season.

Granted, it sucks that it happened, but 3 month recovery time for an ACL isn't human
    Still boggles my mind.

I coach my daughters club soccer team. ACL/MCL is particularly common for girls through their adolescent years due to the ways they grow; combination of legs getting longer and hips widening makes for a lot of stress around the knees.

Anyhow, I see injuries like this occur in kids that commonly require 9 months just to get back to full go. Then you still have to work your way back to what your top physical conditioning.

That Jerry not only recovered, but was able to return to game form in 3 months at 35 years old only adds to his legend.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 01-18-2020 at 03:09 PM.

I remember reading somewhere, Steve Young talking about their Super Bowl win and saying, since he was single at the time, he returned to the practice facility to reflect on the season shortly after it was over.

He said the place was completely empty except for one security guard. He walked the halls, visited offices and the training room, sat in the locker room for a bit, then made his way to the practice field.

What did he find?

Jerry Rice - Running. Routes. No one else. No defender. No QB. Just Jerry, perfecting his craft with no one in sight.

I remember him describing the evolution of his thought process as something like “no”, followed by “yeah, that’s Jerry”, before quietly backing out of the practice field so that he didn’t feel obligated to join him. Lol
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 01-18-2020 at 03:11 PM.