Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 77
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    57,360
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Horford started playing outside in Atlanta when he was next to Josh Smith. I'm not sure what you thought you were getting MtM, but Al isn't on the perimeter because of the system or the personnel. He's out there because that's where he wants to play, so it's not really evidence of anything regarding Embiid.
    Yuuuup. KOQ started playing outside more in Indy too. To me this isn't a Brett Brown problem. It's an NBA problem. It happening on every team. I mean I agree that 9 shots are excessive, but saying they shouldn't be taking them and not understanding the context of the NBA. And part of it is I feel like I get whiplash at times. Yells at Simmons for not taking shots, yells at everyone else for taking wide open ones.

    Taking a look at our last 5 losses:
    Heat 10-30 for 33.3%. It's a tick below average but not terrible.
    Pacers: 6-29 for 20.7% *also 40.7% overall from the field. Horrible night for percentages.
    Rockets: 6-27 for 22.2% . Horrible night for percentages.
    Mavericks: 9-37 for 24.3%. Horrible night for percentages.
    Pacers: 6-33 for 18.2%. Another horrible night.

    37-156 for 23.7%, or an average of 7.4-31.2 per night.

    Average 3 points attempted per game? 34.

    So the differences in losses isn't that we're taking alot, because it's less than average (we're 25th in attempts per game); it's that we don't make them. We shoot on average 38% from 3 in wins, 32% in losses. In that stretch, we're 10 percentage points lower than our average from 3 in losses.

    So yet again the reality is lost is it's not the volume, it's not who's taking them, it's just we stink at the 3 ball as a team. Right now the average 3pt% in the NBA is 35%. We have 0 starters over that mark. We have 4 guys above that (minues Simmons) with Burke, Neto, Thybulle, Ennis. We got to do something to open up the floor. So logistically having a C take a few 3's a game to force the opposing C to have to respect it and open up cutting lanes is a necessity. If were were back to the Saric/Cov/JJ supporting cast days, we wouldn't need the C shooting as much.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,384
    7 feet and 250 pounds of tissue paper this guy is. Joel doesnít like to be touched and has no idea how to throw his weight around. When he gets the ball in the post how often does he face up? All the time. He has horrible body control for a guy whoís usually the biggest player on the floor. The only time he goes up strong is when nobody is around. When a man is on him we see him jump diagonally or just flop.

    Sorry MTM but itís not a Brett Brown problem. Your 7 foot 250 pound monster wants to be a shooter and itís ridiculous. Ben Simmons isnít what keeps Joel from forcing his way into the paint and pushing people around. Joel Embiid is. Joel needs to watch Domantas Sabonis play and copy what he does on offence. Be a screen machine then just dive to the net.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    57,360
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    7 feet and 250 pounds of tissue paper this guy is. Joel doesnít like to be touched and has no idea how to throw his weight around. When he gets the ball in the post how often does he face up? All the time. He has horrible body control for a guy whoís usually the biggest player on the floor. The only time he goes up strong is when nobody is around. When a man is on him we see him jump diagonally or just flop.

    Sorry MTM but itís not a Brett Brown problem. Your 7 foot 250 pound monster wants to be a shooter and itís ridiculous. Ben Simmons isnít what keeps Joel from forcing his way into the paint and pushing people around. Joel Embiid is. Joel needs to watch Domantas Sabonis play and copy what he does on offence. Be a screen machine then just dive to the net.
    So I will defend the screen and roll thing to an extent:
    He did that with JJ frequently. But we havenít had a ball handler that can diagnose and run the PNR along with a shot to that level.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,384
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    So I will defend the screen and roll thing to an extent:
    He did that with JJ frequently. But we havenít had a ball handler that can diagnose and run the PNR along with a shot to that level.
    Alright, thatís fair. But whatís stopping him from setting 2 or 3 screens for Simmons until a switch happens and then taking that smaller defender into the paint? More times than not I see him set screens, give up if the first one doesnít work and then just pop as opposed to roll. Itís just baffling because the guy is an AMAZING free throw shooting big. If he started playing like his size suggests heíd be going to the line as much as Harden does.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    57,360
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Alright, thatís fair. But whatís stopping him from setting 2 or 3 screens for Simmons until a switch happens and then taking that smaller defender into the paint? More times than not I see him set screens, give up if the first one doesnít work and then just pop as opposed to roll. Itís just baffling because the guy is an AMAZING free throw shooting big. If he started playing like his size suggests heíd be going to the line as much as Harden does.
    Ben isnít a ball handler in a pick and roll. One is the lack of shot, forces Embiid to pop rather than roll because both guys drop. Two is Bens not really a shifty ball handler. Amazing athlete, but 6í10Ē and 240 just doesnít change direction fast. So they can hedge with the smaller guy and still block the passing lane.

    But if Ben ever can shoot off the bounce that would become the deadliest PnR combo in the NBA. A 6í10Ē guy and a 7í1Ē guy, both can pass, finish, and shoot? Thatís a tall task to defend.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    2,514
    Horford is shooting a career high amount of 3s but itís only by .6 so not much of a difference.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,208
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Ben isnít a ball handler in a pick and roll. One is the lack of shot, forces Embiid to pop rather than roll because both guys drop. Two is Bens not really a shifty ball handler. Amazing athlete, but 6í10Ē and 240 just doesnít change direction fast. So they can hedge with the smaller guy and still block the passing lane.

    But if Ben ever can shoot off the bounce that would become the deadliest PnR combo in the NBA. A 6í10Ē guy and a 7í1Ē guy, both can pass, finish, and shoot? Thatís a tall task to defend.
    I just feel like Philly is going to wait too long to cash in on that ďwhat ifĒ scenario and itíll end up wasting some of Embiid prime.


    Rippin' lips son!!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,162
    Maybe Joel is out on the perimeter because he knows Simmons needs space to work inside. Ahhh the world of positionless basketball where your center parks outside while your pg works inside lol
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 01-16-2020 at 03:01 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    8,880
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    nobody wants him to go in the post every play... its not fafe to say its not a brett brown thing when all our bigs are doing the same thing... did you see horford tonight? 2-9 from 3... at the start of the 4th our big had more 3 point shots then all over our 3 point shooters not named harris... it is 100 percent a brown thing and the system sucks... joel isnt going to keep going down and getting doubled because he hates it because and wait for it BEN SIMMONS.... if we had a pg that would help with spacing joel would have a field day inside whenever he wanted... its a brown/ben simmons thing and it always has been..


    tell your boy to shoot from non shaq distance and embiid wont get doubled and tripled every single time he touches the ball... Ben simmons took 13 shots tonight... guess how many were inside 4 feet?
    Just have Simmons post up and Joel on the corner 3 for a kick out. I'm half kidding but it's the best option the team has for spacing.

    "The moment you give up, is the moment you let someone else win."

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    43,715
    Just trade Simmons for Fultz
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Just trade Simmons for Fultz
    Would they really do that though?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    110,429
    alright so lets go with this logic for a sec... tell me why the other night against dallas we had horford outside and were posting up with mike ****ing scott on doncic which failed miserably time and time again until he was pulled... in what universe is this a mismatch that favors us with mike scott posting up and our big shooting 3s?

    Now lets go with matchups... we arent a good 3 point shooting team yet we would rather play matchups over forcing our bigs inside? joel embiid is the best and most efficient post scorer in basketball so why should we worry about matchups to open up 3s when we cant hit those 3s instead of using our size like we were suppose to this year and play bully ball? what was the point in going with size over speed/shooters if we are trying to have mismatches away from the paint for shooters that cant shoot?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    110,429
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Maybe Joel is out on the perimeter because he knows Simmons needs space to work inside. Ahhh the world of positionless basketball where your center parks outside while your pg works inside lol
    yes and this is where i am hard on brett brown because he is handicapped but i expect him to legit be a dick at this point... ben handicaps joel/brown/horford so much its insanity and i do put most of the blame on brown which some is deserved but not all. Brown has begged ben to come out and shoot and he refuses.... i wonder if pat/phil/pop etc would ever deal with this before parking his *** on the bench.


    the regular season is meaningless so id be 100 percent open with losing regular season games to force ben simmons to stop hurting his team/coach.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    45,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    I see your point More than most but Embiid needs to make it an effort to get in the post more whether coach likes it or not the star player needs to do things like that sometimes. He also needs to be better about passing it out of the double teams to the open guy, even if itís Simmons he can attack right off the catch and blow by his defender closing out
    are you suggesting that teams close out on Simmons?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    110,429
    https://stats.nba.com/players/playtype-post-up/


    he posts up more than anyone and is insanely efficient at it... but lets keep him and horford on the perimeter to open up space for ben or work matchups for 3 point shooters who cant shoot the 3.


    horford posts up 3 times a game...


    ben simmons posts up 2 times a game and isnt really that great at it either... so yes lets keep trying to run ben inside.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •