Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    My opinion on value of pitching staff.

1-5 starters
    Closer
    Setup up man (8th inning)
    Lefty
    Long man (pitches in the 6th and 7th innings only)
    Everyone else

So, if you have one of your top 6 or 7 pitchers as the long man, you're out of order. (in my opinion)

I felt that they have misused Brebbia for years, not using him in high leverage situations. I think there's a chance they do the same with Ponce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

RF - Fowler

Bench

1B/OF - Ravelo

Here's the 2 roster spots that I think might be incorrect. Ravelo is dropping when he needs to be surging. He's shown no power so far, and a low average. If Fowler doesn't turn it around, he's going to get released, which is surprising to say. I would not have guessed he was at risk in the least a couple months ago.

I think it will be Dean and Ravelo will have to accept assignment. That changes if they DFA Fowler though, or someone gets hurt.

For some reason, I felt like they were really trying to give Sosa a shot. However, with the makeup of our team... Miller is the lefty. He's having a better spring offensively. He has to be the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Here's the 2 roster spots that I think might be incorrect. Ravelo is dropping when he needs to be surging. He's shown no power so far, and a low average. If Fowler doesn't turn it around, he's going to get released, which is surprising to say. I would not have guessed he was at risk in the least a couple months ago.

I think it will be Dean and Ravelo will have to accept assignment. That changes if they DFA Fowler though, or someone gets hurt.

For some reason, I felt like they were really trying to give Sosa a shot. However, with the makeup of our team... Miller is the lefty. He's having a better spring offensively. He has to be the choice.
    Good stuff, thanks.

The thing that scares me about putting Reyes in as the closer is his control issues. The one thing you do not want is a closer coming in and walking a couple guys. That's what drove us crazy about Carlos.

I'd rather see Ponce or Brebbia.
    And Rosey and Izzy

I think we'll be getting away from the traditional closer role any way.

Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Kim and Ponce have been looking great. Good seeing our young arms performing well this spring. Hoping they can showcase themselves if we need to make a big trade at the deadline. The very least is that we have depth in the pitching department which we will definitely need over the course of the season.

I am hearing good things about Whitley. Any chance he can overtake someone for a spot in the BP?
    He's not on the 40 man yet, but the guy had a 1.60 ERA last year in 67 innings, and a 2.01 lifetime minor league ERA in 156 innings. And he reached AAA last year for 23 innings, where it wasn't easy to pitch at all, and he excelled.

He will be on the big league roster at some point, I'm sure this year, but I think he's unlikely for OD unless Brebbia, Cecil, and Miller just can't be on the OD roster for some reason

I'd say Gallegos and Gant are the only two locks to be in the bullpen OD. The rest are a smorgasboard of players with a possibility

Helsley
    Miller
    Webb (no options)
    Cecil (no options)
    Ponce
    Gomber
    Brebbia

Throw in Whitley and Fernandez as additional options.

My opinion on value of pitching staff.

1-5 starters
    Closer
    Setup up man (8th inning)
    Lefty
    Long man (pitches in the 6th and 7th innings only)
    Everyone else

So, if you have one of your top 6 or 7 pitchers as the long man, you're out of order. (in my opinion)

I felt that they have misused Brebbia for years, not using him in high leverage situations. I think there's a chance they do the same with Ponce.
    My absolute perfect world is a little different, but I was showing a long man strategy that is a little different

My ideal world would see this

1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Mikolas
    4. Hudson
    5. Wainwright pitches through the lineup twice, then Kim comes in relief and pitches through the lineup twice

Bullpen
    High leverage reliever R - Gallegos
    High leverage reliever L - Miller or Cabrera

The high leverage guy can go multiple innings if necessary in a close game

Then you have 4 'other relievers'
    Back up high leverage R - Fernandez
    Back up high leverage L - Gomber or Cabrera or Webb

Then the last two relievers are used different
    Mop up guy - Ponce or Gomber
    Additional arm when necessary - Gant

You are using 4 slated starters, and then using the 5th man in the rotation by two guys, neither who get 5 innings, but only going through a lineup twice, should get us around 8 innings on that day from the two guys.

That's 6 starters

Then you have a high leverage righty and a high leverage lefty you can go to for important games, or close games. You wouldn't use them in a game where the win probability was less than 20% or greater than 80%. But if they both get used on consecutive days, you need to have backup high leverage guys can you go to that third day, and you wouldn't use them on back to backs if you used the prior to the day before.

Then a mop up guy for the other 4 starters or games that eat a lot of extra innings, and then a mid tier reliever who you use to patch things together, cover an injury day of, or to fill a spot due to fatigue.

This is much more ideal, but it doesn't use a traditional closer at all. It goes by leverage only, and lets the starters go until a set point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

You are using 4 slated starters, and then using the 5th man in the rotation by two guys, neither who get 5 innings, but only going through a lineup twice, should get us around 8 innings on that day from the two guys.

That's 6 starters
    We have discussed this... and I honestly think an 8 man rotation where there are two starters for each game is in the future. They throw a little on short rest, but since they're probably maxing out in the 70 pitch range, you can get away with it. Especially in situations where you have a true ace that doesn't need a rotation partner.

We have discussed this... and I honestly think an 8 man rotation where there are two starters for each game is in the future. They throw a little on short rest, but since they're probably maxing out in the 70 pitch range, you can get away with it. Especially in situations where you have a true ace that doesn't need a rotation partner.
    Yeah, but you have to start that in the minor leagues as part of the development.

But yeah, you pitch every 4th day

Monday - Pitcher A, Pitcher B
    Tuesday - Pitcher C, Pitcher D
    Wednesday - Pitcher E, Pitcher F
    Thursday - Pitcher G, Pitcher H
    Friday - Pitcher A, Pitcher B

Each goes through a lineup twice

That leaves you with 5 relievers for mop up, extra innings, and any additional AB's that weren't covered.

Over 162 games, our pitchers go through a lineup 675 times. If each pitcher would go through a lineup 80 times in total, out of 8 guys, that's 640 times. Leaving 35 times (315 batters faced for 5 guys), additional mop up work etc.

Under our current strategy, it would go something like

Monday - Flaherty 2 times through, Gomber 2 times through, Gallegos 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Tuesday - Mikolas 2 times through, Cabrera 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Wednesday - Kim 2 times through, Ponce de Leon 2 times through, Gallegos 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Thursday - Hudson 2 times through, Wainwright 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up

That's 13 pitchers, with 3 guys available for mop up, which is more than you need.

Flaherty and Mikolas would each get 41 starts, and face 738 batters (Flaherty faced 772 last year for reference, Mikolas 764). Now, when you are doing this, you may be getting to the end of the second time through the lineup, and you may let the guy finish the inning because he's due to bat the next inning, or he got the first 2 guys out and the leadoff man is up next, and you can just let him finish the inning, etc, so it won't end exact of course, also, you may have to cover him in the event he gets in trouble early, thus the mop up guys)
    Hudson and Kim would each get 40 starts, and face 720 batters.

Gomber, Ponce, Wainwright, and Cabrera are also facing 738 and 720 batters each. Understandably, you'd favor guys like Flaherty to let him go a little longer on days where he is looking much sharper, but the idea here is that teams don't get solid licks of guys and multiple looks off of them. So while these guys may be facing more guys than you'd like, it really works in a situation where you don't have a true ace. We could also let Flaherty's day be every 5th day, work a rotation around him, and let him go 7 innings in each of his starts, and work the rotation with everyone else around him. It can be done with a different strategy.

Then Gallegos and Reyes each face 720 batters as well, because they are facing 9 guys every other day. It's basically 7 innings per week, or near a starters workload.

Then you use the mop up guys to round it all out

In Memphis, you'd have to have the same thing happening though, so you can call up on rotation for injuries etc.

It's most ideal in an organization that is horrible at pitching, and you can develop everyone to do this together system wide.

It certainly would be an interesting idea.

There will be many times that opponents would have 9 or fewer base runners. So... two pitchers can get through the lineup with no help. So... if you can record 27 outs, and allow 9 or fewer runners, which isn't an impressive feat, there wouldn't be a ton of pressure on the "pen".

As far as implementing it goes... you would need to start with a team like the one we have. A team with a bunch of extra starting pitching, and guys you want to minimize stress on.

Reyes, Waino, Ponce, and Kim would make an awesome combo for 2 rotation spots. That would leave 6 guys in the pen, which I think is very doable.

It certainly would be an interesting idea.

There will be many times that opponents would have 9 or fewer base runners. So... two pitchers can get through the lineup with no help. So... if you can record 27 outs, and allow 9 or fewer runners, which isn't an impressive feat, there wouldn't be a ton of pressure on the "pen".
    Yeah, I mean, let's keep Flaherty every 5th day, and let him go through a lineup a third time, and assume the rest of the pitchers can go through a lineup two times, twice a week. Not a tall ask.

Monday - Flaherty 3 times through, then Gallegos closes and Gant, Fernandez, Miller, and Gomber are all available for mop up work
    Tuesday - Tuesday - Mikolas 2 times through, Cabrera 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Wednesday - Kim 2 times through, Ponce de Leon 2 times through, Gallegos 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Thursday - Hudson 2 times through, Wainwright 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Friday - Mikolas 2 times through, Cabrera 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Saturday - Flaherty 3 times through, then Gallegos closes and Gant, Fernandez, Miller, and Gomber are all available for mop up work
    Sunday - Kim 2 times through, Ponce de Leon 2 times through, Gallegos 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Monday - Off-day
    Tuesday - Hudson 2 times through, Wainwright 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Wednesday - Mikolas 2 times through, Cabrera 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Thursday - Flaherty 3 times through, then Gallegos closes and Gant, Fernandez, Miller, and Gomber are all available for mop up work
    Friday - Kim 2 times through, Ponce de Leon 2 times through, Gallegos 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Saturday - Hudson 2 times through, Wainwright 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up
    Sunday - Mikolas 2 times through, Cabrera 2 times through, Reyes 1 time through - Fernandez, Gant, and Miller available for mop up

Total batters faced over a 2 week period

Flaherty - 81
    Mikolas - 72
    Hudson - 54
    Cabrera - 72
    Kim - 54
    Wainwright - 54
    Ponce - 54
    Gallegos - 54
    Reyes - 54

Fernandez, Gant and Miller - unknown, depends on situations, but they they would be needed very little.

This would dramatically raise the innings of guys like Gallegos and Reyes over the course of a season, which is why you'd need to stretch them out. You could also use someone like Helsley and Woodford there, who were built to be starters, and let guys like Reyes and Gallegos be higher leverage guys.

It's a fun concept to play with, and I think players could catch on to the routine without much issue because they only pitch on set days except for the mop up guys.

Could Carlos be pitching himself back into the closers role? I saw he gave up 6 runs yesterday.

Could Carlos be pitching himself back into the closers role? I saw he gave up 6 runs yesterday.
    I am concerned that he is hurting again, but I hope not.

Welp... sounds like baseball is about to be done for a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Welp... sounds like baseball is about to be done for a bit..
    No effin way

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast