Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looks like Guenther's eventual replacement is waiting in the wings. The Raiders had the no.8 run defense in 2019. Why they fired Buckner I can't comprehend. Well I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Buckner was good. But Marinelli is regarded as best in business. Gruden has to make all the improvements he can. Now it will be fascinating to see how Marinelliís approach of DL stunting impacts Guenthers scheme. I expect to see some superb wrinkles next season. Plus donít be surprised if we find a few more DL sleepers in draft.
    How about 1 or 2 LB's that make a difference?

Does anyone here feel that the Cowboys defense underachieved under Marinelli this season? That team was loaded with talent at one point. Or so we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Thought we liked Buckner.

-Stork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea I'm not a fan of this move. Buckner did a great job this year. The D-line played much better under his tutelage.

I'm not a fan of this move either. The d line was our best unit on defense and was getting better. We as a team only had 32 sacks but all of them came from the d line. Not a single sack from the lbs or dbs. We lack athletes in the back end of our defense. We need to get 8-10 sacks a season from them to supplement the play of our d line to really improve our defense.

Who gives a Buck...
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

Keeping Buckner for the Dline, and replacing Guenther with Marinelli would have been the obvious move to make, but Okay

Buckner can kick rocks. He did not do well. Yes everyone is saying "oh he improved the dline from 13 to 32 sacks"

who cares.... we drafted him two defensive ends as well. One with the #4 pick , and another who was a ROY candidate. Marinelli is one of the all time greats and if he wants to be apart of this, then we should count our blessings.

He also has Head Coaching and DC coaching experience in case Geunther doesnt make it. Buckner cant bring us any of that. It is about time we got some respected, competent coaches with a history of success.

Yes he is 70 but Dick Lebeau was probably the greatest DC of all time and coached to his 80s. He left the Steelers and joined the Titans at 75 I believe (now its Pees). Look at the differences those teams are showing and that should answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    How about 1 or 2 LB's that make a difference?
    +
    A starting CB
    Nickel CB
    A starting S
    2 starting WRs
    Etc

Buckner fired and replaced by Rod Marinelli

Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    The more I read, the more I see this as an awful decision.

Buckner did well. Is Gruden more comfortable with a known subordinate? Was Buckner too much of an alpha for his taste?

-Stork

Yes-my thoughts as well. Kind of like Willie Shawís dismissal.

I also strongly oppose nepotism.

Last edited by Proximo; 01-15-2020 at 07:52 PM.

I liked Buckner, but I think some may be giving him a little too much credit. We still finished 25th in sack percentage, while some of that is on the poor coverage, we still had stretches where we just never seemed to get pressure.

Improvement was almost a forgone conclusion when you have 13 sacks the season before. I mean if my son gets a 25 on his test then I pay a tutor to improve his test grade. If he proceeds to get a 60 on his next test itís still a failing grade, so I would consider firing the tutor.

I don't disagree with your logic. Sack percentage is a better measure than raw total especially considering we played fewer plays on defense than most teams because of our ball control offense. We probably would have had 35 or 36 sacks if we had played the league average number of plays on defense. This would still be a low number. The thing is all of our sacks came from the D-line. Without looking it up I would guess that our 32 sacks by our D-line was pretty close to the league average. The thing that holds us back are the other positions on the defense. Again without looking it up I bet we were the only team in the league that didn't have a sack from someone other than a D-lineman.

As for your analogy regarding your son improving from a 25 to a 60. If he had done that over the time period of a week wouldn't you give the tutor another week? A 140% increase in a week's time would be great. I feel like Buckner did a commendable job and I would have liked to have seen him return. That being said I do feel Marinelli is a solid hire. I just wish it had been for another position on the defense.

Mack Iím assuming that you donít take a test every week, at least when I was in school so long ago we didnít. Some classes we had weekly quizzes that didnít account for nearly the total percentage of your grade as test did

Its not as much of buckner being bad (which he is). Its that Marinelli is one of the best ever.

If you can upgrade a position you do so

Quote Originally Posted by donofdacourts View Post
    Mack Iím assuming that you donít take a test every week, at least when I was in school so long ago we didnít. Some classes we had weekly quizzes that didnít account for nearly the total percentage of your grade as test did
    True enough. Classes don't normally give weekly tests. I was just using the short time frame to make a point. I knew improvement was going to happen this season because we were historically bad the previous season when it came to sacks. It was just a matter of how much we improved. I thought the improvement was enough to justify bringing Buckner back. I also liked what I saw of Buckner on Hard Knocks and I believe that our players were buying into him. Unlike Hawaii I actually think he did a good job and I am a proponent of continuity.

My thoughts on Guenther are not so positive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast