Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buckner fired and replaced by Rod Marinelli

Interesting move, but I do like Marinelli a lot.
    Last edited by donofdacourts; 01-14-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donofdacourts View Post
    Interesting move, but I do like Rod a lot.
    I bet you do like some rod

Jk

Kind of surprising, but I'm good with it.

Thought we liked Buckner.

-Stork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

Yeah I thought we liked Buckner a lot as well. My only thoughts would be that in case Guenther continues his struggles, we now have a veteran coach with experience as a defensive coordinator and play caller on the staff. Perhaps itís even to help Guenther in that capacity and Marinelli also has developed a lot of good defensive linemen during his time in the league.

The more I read, the more I see this as an awful decision.

Buckner did well. Is Gruden more comfortable with a known subordinate? Was Buckner too much of an alpha for his taste?

-Stork

"Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

Quote Originally Posted by donofdacourts View Post
    Yeah I thought we liked Buckner a lot as well. My only thoughts would be that in case Guenther continues his struggles, we now have a veteran coach with experience as a defensive coordinator and play caller on the staff. Perhaps itís even to help Guenther in that capacity and Marinelli also has developed a lot of good defensive linemen during his time in the league.
    I agree on his hiring giving us a back up plan as far as guenther goes. I think it also puts pressure on geunther to perform. With marinellis experience, thereís no reason for our dline not to reach expectations. So thereís no excuse for our defense next year.

Honestly I believe our production was going to go up from two seasons ago regardless of who the D-Line coach ended up being. Can you really get worse than 13 sacks in a season? Itís always tough to know with position coaches without being involved with the day to day things how much they improved their unit. The talent was definitely upgraded greatly and experience was gained from a lot of players and you also purged yourself of quitters like Bruce Irvin.

I do know that Marinelli greatly improved the Cowboys after he took over as DC and they finished in the top 10 the last several seasons under him.

Kind of a surprise fire/hire. Not unwarranted though. We ranked 24th in sacks this season. Last year, we ranked 50th. (they tossed in a couple high school teams that had more than us)

I am wondering how the Guenther/Marinelli dynamic is going to work. Hopefully for the best and I pray he has some influence over the DB coach whom I think we need to send packing right now.
    Last edited by Wolfe-Raider; 01-14-2020 at 05:17 PM.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    Kind of a surprise fire/hire. Not unwarranted though. We ranked 24th in sacks this season. Last year, we ranked 50th. (they tossed in a couple high school teams that had more than us)

I am wondering how the Guenther/Marinelli dynamic is going to work. Hopefully for the best and I pray he has some influence over the DB coach whom I think we need to send packing right now.
    Exactly. And Marinelli could be Guenther's replacement at DC if the D fails to improve. Hopefully our guys stay healthy next year (and no suspensions). I cut Guenther some slack for that. I liked Buckner though. I'm sure somebody will snag him quick.

I like this move as much as I hate losing Buckner.... Rod is old school. The players will hustle... I wonder if he will be bringing other coaches along with him.... I think this is more of a push on Guenther then anything else.

Marinelli is 70 years old. He isnít replacing Guenther. I doubt he even wants to be a coordinator at his age. He will be closer to home now and gets to just worry about the dline.

I'm willing to bet he was brought in as an adviser to help Guenther. They'll probably construct a game plan, but it will be Guenther's call on game day. Marinelli will be up in the booth as a second set of eyes. Personally, I think Guenther can use the help.

Buckner was good. But Marinelli is regarded as best in business. Gruden has to make all the improvements he can. Now it will be fascinating to see how Marinelliís approach of DL stunting impacts Guenthers scheme. I expect to see some superb wrinkles next season. Plus donít be surprised if we find a few more DL sleepers in draft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast