Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I Think I Know The Problem

So hear me out on this one.

If you look at the remaining teams in the playoffs this year, every single team drafted extremely well, but every single team other then the Titans also have had KEY free agent signings or players that were traded for.

Chiefs: Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Honey Badger, Frank Clark, etc.
    49ers: Jimmy G, Tevin Coleman, Emmanuel Sanders, Richard Sherman, Kwon Alexander, etc.
    Packers: Jimmy Graham, Preston Smith, ZaDarius Smith, Adrian Amos, etc.

Now look at the Vikings history. If you go before 2 years ago when we had the Minneapolis Miracle, when was the last time we were LEGIT Super Bowl contenders? 2009. What did we have that year? LEGIT KEY players who were either free agent signings or traded for.

Jared Allen, Brett Favre, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Steve Hutchison, Madieu Williams.

Now look at this years team. Who are the top guys that we have signed as free agents or traded for?

Riley Rieff, Linval Joseph, Kirk Cousins. THAT'S IT.

We're relying completely and totally on drafting a Super Bowl contender because we are BUSTING big time on acquiring talent that was not drafted by our organization. I'm not saying that drafting isn't important because it's the most important. But you build your BASE with draft picks and then fill the holes you didn't draft in free agency and in trades. Until Rick Spielman figures out how to do that, I'm afraid this roster isn't going to get any better.

Ya I agree. The problem is some of these contracts we gave out for our young guys were that they would continue to play at a high level or get better. Rhodes = bad, Barr = average, Linval = not the same, injuries are catching up and age.

As much as you want to keep guys with your organization you just have to live with the fact you can't keep everyone. Need to value which position/guys are most important.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Ya I agree. The problem is some of these contracts we gave out for our young guys were that they would continue to play at a high level or get better. Rhodes = bad, Barr = average, Linval = not the same, injuries are catching up and age.

As much as you want to keep guys with your organization you just have to live with the fact you can't keep everyone. Need to value which position/guys are most important.
    Completely agree. Linval I don't blame them for at all. An in the trenches guy who was a stud for us. He's just out aged his contract a little.

The 49ers is the epitome of how to build a team. Joey Bosa, Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, Joe Staley, Mike McGlinchey all first round picks in the trenches. They INVESTED in the big boys, and then built the roster around them by filling holes with guys like Jimmy G, Tevin Coleman, Emmanuel Sanders, Richard Sherman, and Kwon Alexander.

Other then Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen (which was almost 10 years ago) this team has made ZERO investment in the draft in the trenches until Bradberry this year. And because of that had to invest in guys like Alex Boone, Riley Rieff, Mike Remmers, Josh Kline, Nick Easton, etc who ALL failed and didn't allow us to invest free agent money anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPride View Post
    Completely agree. Linval I don't blame them for at all. An in the trenches guy who was a stud for us. He's just out aged his contract a little.

The 49ers is the epitome of how to build a team. Joey Bosa, Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, Joe Staley, Mike McGlinchey all first round picks in the trenches. They INVESTED in the big boys, and then built the roster around them by filling holes with guys like Jimmy G, Tevin Coleman, Emmanuel Sanders, Richard Sherman, and Kwon Alexander.

Other then Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen (which was almost 10 years ago) this team has made ZERO investment in the draft in the trenches until Bradberry this year. And because of that had to invest in guys like Alex Boone, Riley Rieff, Mike Remmers, Josh Kline, Nick Easton, etc who ALL failed and didn't allow us to invest free agent money anywhere else.
    Nick Bosa btw but...

We did draft interior DL, we've just not had good luck...how different would the thinking be if not for Shariff Floyd's issues? And what happened to Elflein on the OL? Like Kalil, looked like a solid pick...for 1 season.

Niners invested in the trenches more....we invested in DBs more...I mean we have 3 1sts and a 2nd invested in our 'top' 4 corners alone...the problem is, none have really matched the value we placed on picking them.

But if we were going to invest what we did in a less mobile QB, it should have been a foregone conclusion to not just try, but succeed in building up the OL...........so to me while drafting well and signing key FAs is part of it, HOWEVER you can build strong lines on both sides of the ball is a major key.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment