Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seems like the Warriors are cheating the system

They cut Chriss to move Lee from a two-way to a real contract, then sign Chriss to a two-way contract.

I don't think the rules were written with stuff like this in mind.

I like the precedent though. It means that every team essentially has 2 more full roster spots if they can get players to play along.
    Last edited by Scoots; 01-14-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Like you said, big if to get guys to play along. He just went from a $1,678,854 contract to a at maximum $385,000 contract (will obviously be prorated).

It's just because the Warriors are hard capped this season, so they're having to play cap gymnastics to stay under that amount but still keep enough playing bodies out there.

The Warriors haven't even filled their 15 man roster once this season, because money wise, they can't. They could've signed Chriss to a 10 day contract but it counts against the cap, this way they get him for 45 more days without it counting towards the cap.

At some point whenever Chriss' prorated standard NBA contract is below the hard cap number, they'll sign him or someone else in their 15th spot. Until then, they'll keep doing what they have to, to get around the hard cap.

I give them props, I never would've thought of this, its very inventive. But the NBA may close the loophole, so teams can't get around the hard cap in the future.

Lol def an inventive move. Glad heís back. I like what Iíve seen of him.

You can probably exclude 5-10 awfully ran organizations as I doubt the players play along as they may not trust the organization

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Like you said, big if to get guys to play along. He just went from a $1,678,854 contract to a at maximum $385,000 contract (will obviously be prorated).

It's just because the Warriors are hard capped this season, so they're having to play cap gymnastics to stay under that amount but still keep enough playing bodies out there.

The Warriors haven't even filled their 15 man roster once this season, because money wise, they can't. They could've signed Chriss to a 10 day contract but it counts against the cap, this way they get him for 45 more days without it counting towards the cap.

At some point whenever Chriss' prorated standard NBA contract is below the hard cap number, they'll sign him or someone else in their 15th spot. Until then, they'll keep doing what they have to, to get around the hard cap.

I give them props, I never would've thought of this, its very inventive. But the NBA may close the loophole, so teams can't get around the hard cap in the future.
    It is a model for bottom feeder teams to churn their roster and still keep players in their orbit. But yeah, it will certainly only work with players on the fringes of the NBA ... but it's something new regardless.

FWIW, the Warriors generally stay below the 15 man limit until late in the season so they can fill it with whatever player they need then.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    You can probably exclude 5-10 awfully ran organizations as I doubt the players play along as they may not trust the organization
    It absolutely requires a team be good at getting the players on-board with that team for their future. That could be either by being a team with good chemistry, or by being so bad and having so little talent that players on the very fringe of the NBA can see a future on that team.

What teams would you exclude?

Well, a lot of players can go overseas and make more than $350 K.

I love stuff like this. good on them

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    They cut Chriss to move Lee from a two-way to a real contract, then sign Chriss to a two-way contract.

I don't think the rules were written with stuff like this in mind.

I like the precedent though. It means that every team essentially has 2 more full roster spots if they can get players to play along.
    Very creative and smart. Probably next year they will have a rule for that, but Dubs did nothing wrong per rules.

"I set my DVR for the Biggest Loser, but it keeps recording Clippers games."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    Very creative and smart. Probably next year they will have a rule for that, but Dubs did nothing wrong per rules.
    I hope next year (or soon after) they just expand the roster size.

with the warriors- roster size was never the issue. the warriors are paying guys to sit out because they are tanking... and they are against the hard cap as a result.

And the people dumb enough to pay for tickets at chase center to go watch a d league team- are encouraging the warriors management to put out a garbage product and still make money.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    with the warriors- roster size was never the issue. the warriors are paying guys to sit out because they are tanking... and they are against the hard cap as a result.

And the people dumb enough to pay for tickets at chase center to go watch a d league team- are encouraging the warriors management to put out a garbage product and still make money.
    Are curry and klay out right now due to tanking?

Probably a better idea. Expand it by a player or two. At the pace the game is played today and all the BS load managing that is going on, teams are going to need those extra roster spaces also.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post

Welcome to modern sports. I'll give the Dubs an exception here as they have had a ridiculous amount of injuries to their main core players.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast