Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    and i am sorry... you cant sit here and argue scheme/players etc... we let runningbacks run on us all ****ing year and watched a team run for 300 WHEN WE KNEW THEY WERE GOING TO RUN AND STILL COULDNT STOP THEM PROBABLY 15 TIMES AND BLAME IT ON PLAYERS..... they just ran for like 300 yards in a championship game when we knew all along our weakness was run defense and made.......................... 0 ADJUSTMENTS... Do not sit here and argue players when 0 ****ing adjustments were made... how hard is it to really stop the run when WE KNOW THEY ARE RUNNING and we dont touch them 15 yards down the field because its a pitch to a guy in the backfield running side to side

there were times when i was screaming for us to send the house because it was 3rd and 3 on a must stop and we couldnt stop the run for us to just send the house and we rushed 4.... 4....fml... we cant get pressure with our front 4 so yes lets rush 4... we are basically telling them here ya go here is 6-8 yards every run
    How do you KNOW that no adjustments were made? Exactly what adjustments would make our guys unblockable?

Seriously. Answer the questions. Give specifics. Be detailed. Show your work.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    you mean like tom brady for 5 of his 6 superbowls? imagine if we were that smart?
    Pretty much. I love Rodgers and I still think we can win a super bowl with him but he canít be the main reason we win games at this point in his career. We have to make things easier for him. Give him more weapons on offense and beef up the defense so he isnít being forced to score 38 points in an NFC championship game in order to have a shot at the super bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    How do you KNOW that no adjustments were made? Exactly what adjustments would make our guys unblockable?

Seriously. Answer the questions. Give specifics. Be detailed. Show your work.
    BRING THE HOUSE! Because that's how you stop the run. You just blitz everyone all the time. Responsibilities don't matter. Just everyone blitz and you'll tackle the runner. Defensive coordinator is a pretty easy job.

The 49ers ranked 23 in football outsiders defense last year. They were 2nd this year. You know what didnt change? Their DC. You know what did change? They added Bosa, Ford, Alexander and they had guys improve. Saleh didnt magically learn how to call plays. He had the talent to execute finally.

I don't know how anyone can watch that game and come away with the takeaway that the scheme sucked. We don't even know what the scheme was because the entire defense got blown off the ball every play. Im taking a shot in the dark here, but im guessing the scheme wasn't telling Z to get washed down the line 8 yards by a tight end. Or telling Tyler Lancaster to get pushed back 5 yards. Or telling the will Redmond to run into the back of a linebacker instead of keeping contain.

You could take 11 of us, give us a year to work with the best defensive mind in football and put us up against a team of practice squad guys and they would destroy us. Again, not saying pettine is perfect, but when you consistently get physically dominated, there's virtually nothing scheme can do to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Pretty much. I love Rodgers and I still think we can win a super bowl with him but he canít be the main reason we win games at this point in his career. We have to make things easier for him. Give him more weapons on offense and beef up the defense so he isnít being forced to score 38 points in an NFC championship game in order to have a shot at the super bowl.
    Agree to an extent, but if he's making $30+ mill a year, he needs to be a major part of why we win. We need some weapons for sure, but we aren't getting back to the 2011 offensive talent. Unless we absolutely crush a draft and find like a stud in the first or 3nd and a stephon Diggs in the 5th or something like, our talent is going to need Rodgers to elevate them.

Luck was def not on our side in this game which is a shame, after being healthy most the season and still couldnt win with a healthy squad. Rush defense killed us all season! WR/TE and Rush defense is top top priority this offseason/draft

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Agree to an extent, but if he's making $30+ mill a year, he needs to be a major part of why we win. We need some weapons for sure, but we aren't getting back to the 2011 offensive talent. Unless we absolutely crush a draft and find like a stud in the first or 3nd and a stephon Diggs in the 5th or something like, our talent is going to need Rodgers to elevate them.
    Well he did a restructure on his contract to free up some cap space didnít he? But yes I agree, we have to kill it In the draft for sure. I donít expect us to spend crazy money in FA

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    BRING THE HOUSE! Because that's how you stop the run. You just blitz everyone all the time. Responsibilities don't matter. Just everyone blitz and you'll tackle the runner. Defensive coordinator is a pretty easy job.

The 49ers ranked 23 in football outsiders defense last year. They were 2nd this year. You know what didnt change? Their DC. You know what did change? They added Bosa, Ford, Alexander and they had guys improve. Saleh didnt magically learn how to call plays. He had the talent to execute finally.

I don't know how anyone can watch that game and come away with the takeaway that the scheme sucked. We don't even know what the scheme was because the entire defense got blown off the ball every play. Im taking a shot in the dark here, but im guessing the scheme wasn't telling Z to get washed down the line 8 yards by a tight end. Or telling Tyler Lancaster to get pushed back 5 yards. Or telling the will Redmond to run into the back of a linebacker instead of keeping contain.

You could take 11 of us, give us a year to work with the best defensive mind in football and put us up against a team of practice squad guys and they would destroy us. Again, not saying pettine is perfect, but when you consistently get physically dominated, there's virtually nothing scheme can do to change that.
    i mean hell we should have just ran special teams defense and prayed they would drop passes BECAUSE THEY RAN FOR 300 AND WERE PICKING UP 15 AT A TIME lol.

Well he did a restructure on his contract to free up some cap space didnít he? But yes I agree, we have to kill it In the draft for sure. I donít expect us to spend crazy money in FA
    He freed up some space next year sort of. Money rolls from year to year anyways, so while the reports say it freed up like $10 mill, it's really more like $6-7, and that $6-7 just gets applied in later years.

The nfl cap is weird. So many people get caught up in how much money is available this year, but it's really a multi year puzzle. Look at the Smiths. Their contracts accounted for $29.5 mill in average annual value, yet they cost about $14 mill vs the cap. Rodgers will only cost $21 mill next year but $39 the following. So unless we're signing a bunch of 1 year deals, he's still averaging $30 mill per year over the next 2 years.

Not trying to bash Rodgers or anything and we did free up some short term money, but it's sort of like robbing Peter to pay Paul a bit. So the money we freed up likely doesnt help us sign any major long term deals, but it may help us sign a few short term, 1 year type deals.

Mike Pettine will be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Mike Pettine will be back next year.
    i would have been fine with a change. i hated the deep soft cover scheme but i would also be honest with him. he is on a 1 year deal. the coach i really like is Wade Phillips. alas, some other team will get him.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    i would have been fine with a change. i hated the deep soft cover scheme but i would also be honest with him. he is on a 1 year deal. the coach i really like is Wade Phillips. alas, some other team will get him.
    Why wade philips? He had elite talent in denver. Inherited a loaded roster in LA a d then they declined this year. Hes a guy that used what he had, i dont see him as a guy that gets more from the talent hea given to work with. Hes just a name at this point. And hes old as dirt.

i am open to anyone who adjusts... sorry i cant be all in for a guy that sits on his hands all seasons while we get destroyed via the run.... these fans who think we adjusted in the final playoff game should be destroyed... we did nothing...we changed nothing... we watched them destroy us and when our offense brought us to 14 down we needed 1 stop and still did the same ****ing **** while wtching them run down the field like we werent even there... imagine 14 point deficit with 7 minutes left and 3 timeouts and saying WELP NO BIG DEAL IT WAS OVER... GTFO. 1 ****ing stop gives us a chance and we knew they would run it and we still had no answer lmfao

My thing is we canít just sit back and watch a dude run on us for over 200 yards. We canít afford to have a DC who doesnít have an idea to slow that down in the slightest bit idc who your personnel is.

My thing is we canít just sit back and watch a dude run on us for over 200 yards. We canít afford to have a DC who doesnít have an idea to slow that down in the slightest bit idc who your personnel is.
    yup

This forums refusal to accept that maybe players have some blame year after year is so laughable. If coaching hiring and firing decisions were made by this forum we would be the Cleveland Browns and cylce through coaches and coordinators every year.

If you were 49ers fans you would have wanted Saleh fired last year. Now he's leading a top 5 defense in the super bowl.

Changing coordinators and schemes every year or two is not what good teams do. Our defense was improved this year. It wasn't perfect, but neither was the personnel. It's not Mike pettines fault that his inside linebackers were Martinez and Goodson. Of that he had to play Tyler Lancaster on 60% of the snaps or Dean Lowry on 80% of the snaps. Pettines scheme didn't tell his guys to get blown off the ball every time.

Scheme can be used to get free runners at times. But it's not at all times and no one's scheme does that. For at least 75% of the game, you need to win more one on one battles than the other team. Offense, defense, special teams, it doesn't matter.

Schemes can get free runners. Schemes can get guys open, but that stuff only works if you're executing and winning the 1 on 1 battles on your core plays. It's that simple. Everyone wants to pretend its complex and the coaches have all the power in the world but they don't. Not saying coaching doesn't matter, but coaching and schemimg is putting guys in the best position to succeed. If they don't succeed, that doesn't make the plan bad. We got dominated man on man. Adjustments dont matter when everyone loses their battle. Someone needs to win their battle to negatively impact the offense. If that doesn't happen, you're out of luck.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast