Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Was the Astros punishment enough?

- Manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow each suspended 1 year.
    - Loss of 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021.
    - $5M fine.

Do you think Manfred should have done more? I think it's pretty light. I'm just not sure how much of a deterrence this would be for future incidents.

Fire Luke Walton

For players it's extremely light and insignificant. Two managers lost a job (and are tainted probably for life), meanwhile Beltran gets a job. Springer will have an extension and still get to wear his WS ring and WS MVP, Altuve keeps his MVP trophy and his ring and more money from the bonus in his contract and endorsements,...etc.

I see this as a joke frankly.
    Last edited by ShinobiNYC; 01-13-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    - Manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow each suspended 1 year.
    - Loss of 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021.
    - $5M fine.

Do you think Manfred should have done more? I think it's pretty light. I'm just not sure how much of a deterrence this would be for future incidents.
    Not too harsh. Only incomplete. Players took part in this. Specific ones. They got off free.

I'm good with it. I thought we'd see less to be honest. I thought they'd only lose a pair of picks.

They weren't punished, so no. Manager and GM suspended, lost a few picks and a small fine. That's nothing. The players getting zero punishment is a joke.

I'm confused by the reactions in here and the other thread. Some of you guys thought players would be punished?

This is 100% a "who has been in charge while this **** has been going on" situation. It would be virtually impossible for the commissioner to determine what level of involvement each individual had.

It's not like steroids at all. They worked together as Astros to game the system, and so the organization and those in charge are being held accountable.

I think its severe but no less than it should have been.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

The 5 million dollar fine should have been taken out of their International slot, the team likely made more in Merch sales after winning the world series than they were fined.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    For players it's extremely light and insignificant. Two managers lost a job (and are tainted probably for life), meanwhile Beltran gets a job. Springer will have an expansion and still get to wear his WS ring and WS MVP, Altuve keeps his MVP trophy and his ring and more money from the bonus in his contract and endorsements,...etc.

I see this as a joke frankly.
    I agree.

A $5 million fine is nothing to a billionaire. Whatever financial windfall they gained from that WS championship, they've already enjoyed. I understand that leadership is accountable, but those that carried it out were the players in the dugout.

Luhnow might be throwing people under the bus with his statement after the firing, but he dies have a point if he really didn't know about it. Hinch did, but other than supposedly smashing the monitors that relayed the signals, he never told anyone to stop it, nor did he inform Luhnow about it.

The way I see it, Manfred thought he would hand out punishment to the guys who are the easiest targets. In the end, isn't the Commissioner an eployee of the league, and isn't the league primarily composed of the owners?

Manfred also didn't hand out punishments to payers, because he'd have to confront the players' union. That, to me, is cowardice. Mike Fiers is an active player and basically ratted out on the entire 2017 Astros team - which includes fellow players. As I've read it, there were players who testified on having to back the trash cans, and said they would have stopped it had Hinch told them to (he never did, by his admission).

This issue will not go away that easily.

Ask Alex Cora if the issue will go away. He will likely never be involved in organized baseball again.
    As to the Astros penalty being strong enough or not is not for me to say. Its unfortunate that the Astros allowed this to happen and go on for several years.
    They were treated pretty harshly, losing draft picks for 2 years. They lose their top 2 draft picks in 2020 and 2021.
    Hinch will likely be back, but Luhnow won't be. He is likely done in the game.

I wish we could go back to the way things were handled a few years back. If pitchers thought there was sign-stealing going on, the next hitter would wear a fastball in the ribs. They would also go visit the runner on 2B and remind them that they would face them again and suggest some padding in their jerseys for the first AB.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I wish we could go back to the way things were handled a few years back. If pitchers thought there was sign-stealing going on, the next hitter would wear a fastball in the ribs. They would also go visit the runner on 2B and remind them that they would face them again and suggest some padding in their jerseys for the first AB.
    That would be assault!

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    That would be assault!
    It would be stupid

13. 01-14-2020, 12:31 AM
    Reason
    Trolling

14. 01-14-2020, 12:36 AM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post

Yeah because hitting a player with a 95 mph fastball is certainly the smartest way to handle that situation

16. 01-14-2020, 12:38 AM
    Reason
    Trolling

You're dead right.

"That's when men played baseball. Now it's pampered children athletes with the mindset of matheletes." is absolutely trollish, immature, garbage.

Its what you do best. Troll then ***** about when someone calls you out on it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast