Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I think those first three rounds gave us enough talent/filled the right spots to keep us as playoff contenders if as good as rated. We might drop off a little with no Diggs/not necessarily improving oline but I think defensively we could be similar to last even with the rookies/youth at DB since it was poor last year (Griffen leaving but we got nice line depth in draft too).
    Why are we settling for as good as last year? Last year wasnít good enough by a long shot. The goal is to get BETTER and win a SB, not to have another early exit from the playoffs.

I just don't understand how DJP fell to the 6th round. I know he didn't have great production, but he had terrible QBs and a terrible scheme. He's an athletic freak and looks great on tape.

Also, a little disappointed we didn't focus more on the o-line on day 3. We should've focused on fixing our o-line like the Eagles focused on fixing their receiving corps.

Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    Why are we settling for as good as last year? Last year wasnít good enough by a long shot. The goal is to get BETTER and win a SB, not to have another early exit from the playoffs.
    I agree that's the goal. That is just kinda the reality of where we are at looking at it on paper this far out to me. Things can also always change from what it looks like in April (then again from what it looks like at Training camp, then Pre etc).

What if this draft is better than it looks on paper? What if the backs are lockdown and we end up with top defense in the league? What if that LT is an immediate stud and Samia turns into something or Elf finally clicks? Maybe we can still trade for a vet that becomes available. It isn't like where it looks now is where it ends up either.

Coming in to the draft we had some key needs and we hit them big in the first 3 rounds (outside of G, which we at least have replacement level options). I think there is a balance here where we can point out we had a pretty good draft and still acknowledge we still have work to do. Keep an eye on possible FA/trade market and so on, coaching will obviously matter too.

UDFAs thus far
    Brady Aiello, OL, Oregon
    Nevelle Clarke, CB, Central Florida
    Quartney Davis, WR, Texas A&M
    Myles Dorn, CB, North Carolina
    Nakia Griffin-Stewart, TE, Pittsburgh
    Tyler Higby, OL, Michigan State
    Jake Lacina, OL, Augustana
    Blake Lynch, LB, Baylor
    David Moa, DT, Boise State
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Hard to find decent college highlights for OL....Jake Lacina is Corbin Lacina's kid (Corbin was a Viking a few years)
    Nevelle Clark- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE_hMSG39Nw
    Quartney Davis- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLZQa16wRX4
    Myles Dorn- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDOOf_l_Ak
    Nakia Griffin-Stewart- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL2mAtTA67w
    Blake Lynch- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWS7p7HykL8
    David Moa- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwxuGIGYtM (bowl game)

interesting, Quartney Davis had planned to sign with Dallas....then the Vikings upped their offer

Trading for a future pick instead of grabbing Tyler Johnson left a sour taste in my mouth and has slightly tainted my overall grade of our draft.

Day One: A (2 starters and 2 extra picks should say enough.)

Day Two: B+ (If Cleveland is Better than Ezra and becomes a competent LT, this grade jumps to a solid A.)

Day Three: C- (I really like Lynch, Dye and Wonnum but Rick failed to maximum our cabinet full of draft capital.)

Overall Grade: B+

I think itís funny how anyone can give draft grades. No one knows how any of these players will pan out, Iím sure there were plenty of Brian OíNeil haters on here (myself included) and look how heís turned out. My point is this, a guy can have all the skill sets, but if he doesnít have it mentally, the chances of him making in the NFL is very doubtful. Itís just like when guys slide because he had a bad combine? Who gives a **** about the combine, itís all about what you did on the field.

Only way you can give grades on drafts is a few years down the road. On paper it looks like a good draft for us, but it could end up being a really bad draft, itís a gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMark247 View Post
    I think itís funny how anyone can give draft grades. No one knows how any of these players will pan out, Iím sure there were plenty of Brian OíNeil haters on here (myself included) and look how heís turned out. My point is this, a guy can have all the skill sets, but if he doesnít have it mentally, the chances of him making in the NFL is very doubtful. Itís just like when guys slide because he had a bad combine? Who gives a **** about the combine, itís all about what you did on the field.

Only way you can give grades on drafts is a few years down the road. On paper it looks like a good draft for us, but it could end up being a really bad draft, itís a gamble.

I give your post a grade of D-...at least on paper.

2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    If Cleveland starts day 1 then Reiff slides down to guard. Kills two birds with one stone. We have Samia we drafted last year Doogie has been saying their high on. Either of the two late round lineman could end up as a guard.

Both receivers we drafted ran a 4.4 and jumped 37 1/2 inches.

Cleveland probably won't play year 1 unless Reiff gets hurt and I can give you a great reason why without watching single Boise game... Ezra Cleveland's Highlights don't include 1 single Pass block off play action. When I see tape on a potential Rookie LT with starting ability I want to see plays with a QB sitting in a pocket after a 3-5 step drop and the DE not sniffing him. His draft highlights should literally nothing and a youtube of his highlights show very little more.

I hope he pans out in the long run for sure and I see the potential but I can't get to excited about that pick as an improvement for 2020.

Would have liked to see Rick address Interior Line more. We drafted 2 OT that from what i have read Cannot be moved into Guard. Brett Jones/Sumia/ Eflilien/Collins are the guards right now battling for starting position. I do'n't see where that position was addressed AT ALL. Sumia and Collins maybe will improve and that would be awesome. BUT if they don't... Kirk will once again be looking at the back of his LG C RG 4-5 yards in the backfield on pass plays.

Vikings made some good picks but those guys in round 4-7 are going to have to have a Diamond in the rough to justify the players passed up for extra 6/7th rounders.

Really hope the season can start on time this year.
    Last edited by El Jorge 69; 04-26-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMark247 View Post

It's just based on the information we know now like any other projection would be. A draft grade on a player is similar to having a draft board. It is your opinion on how good they are, the value where they were picked/at a certain slot and so on in a similar manner to what teams do when picking.

It isn't meaningful in that it is necessarily spot on for the future but it is meaningful when assessing how efficiently you used assets and so on based on current value.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    Cleveland probably won't play year 1 unless Reiff gets hurt and I can give you a great reason why without watching single Boise game... Ezra Cleveland's Highlights don't include 1 single Pass block off play action. When I see tape on a potential Rookie LT with starting ability I want to see plays with a QB sitting in a pocket after a 3-5 step drop and the DE not sniffing him. His draft highlights should literally nothing and a youtube of his highlights show very little more.

I hope he pans out in the long run for sure and I see the potential but I can't get to excited about that pick as an improvement for 2020.

Would have liked to see Rick address Interior Line more. We drafted 2 OT that from what i have read Cannot be moved into Guard. Brett Jones/Sumia/ Eflilien/Collins are the guards right now battling for starting position. I do'n't see where that position was addressed AT ALL. Sumia and Collins maybe will improve and that would be awesome. BUT if they don't... Kirk will once again be looking at the back of his LG C RG 4-5 yards in the backfield on pass plays.

Vikings made some good picks but those guys in round 4-7 are going to have to have a Diamond in the rough to justify the players passed up for extra 6/7th rounders.

Really hope the season can start on time this year.
    Not sure what you watched but his full game highlights against FSU are on YouTube and they called plenty of play action and 3-5 step drops. The Hinton kid we drafted in the 7th round will be a guard.

2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    I give your post a grade of D-...at least on paper.

[emoji23]

Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast