Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I think a chip would work for the goal line, but would still be hard to tell where someone was down on the field of play.
    Let me give you an idea of the type of **** you money that the NFL has.

My brother does security part time for extra scratch, and when the draft was in Chicago a couple years ago, he was stationed near one of the patio parties or whatever with free wifi. The morning it was set to open, the wifi signal was deemed just mediocre, it worked fine but it wasn't especially strong, he was using it on his phone though and it was working. This got mentioned to a higher up, made one call to NY, and within a few hours they had flown some guy in from Dallas to tinker with the wifi and get it to maximum levels. My brother asked the guy what they were paying him and the guy told him $250K, that they had called him up that morning and asked what it would take to get him on a flight to Chicago, to pump up some wifi that was already working. Brother called bull****, and the guy showed him the email chain between himself and the NFL confirming the payment, all of it. Again, to "fix" something that wasn't even broken.

It would not be difficult *AT ALL* to digitize all 120 yards of an NFL field. Tennis has had the entirety of their courts covered for years and years. Blows my mind football hasn't gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Let me give you an idea of the type of **** you money that the NFL has.

My brother does security part time for extra scratch, and when the draft was in Chicago a couple years ago, he was stationed near one of the patio parties or whatever with free wifi. The morning it was set to open, the wifi signal was deemed just mediocre, it worked fine but it wasn't especially strong, he was using it on his phone though and it was working. This got mentioned to a higher up, made one call to NY, and within a few hours they had flown some guy in from Dallas to tinker with the wifi and get it to maximum levels. My brother asked the guy what they were paying him and the guy told him $250K, that they had called him up that morning and asked what it would take to get him on a flight to Chicago, to pump up some wifi that was already working. Brother called bull****, and the guy showed him the email chain between himself and the NFL confirming the payment, all of it. Again, to "fix" something that wasn't even broken.

It would not be difficult *AT ALL* to digitize all 120 yards of an NFL field. Tennis has had the entirety of their courts covered for years and years. Blows my mind football hasn't gotten to it yet.
    To be fair, tennis is tracking a much smaller area and has significantly less variables. Determining when someone is down by contact and where the football is isn't as easy as a ball hitting a line or not.

That being said, something needs to be done about spotting the ball in general. The Graham play rightfully gets all the press but there's so many bad spots. There was a russ run in particular where the ref spotting the ball was like 4 yards behind the play. How is that the best method? It's just crazy that we eye up spots for every single play, yet a very specific chain comes out and measures the guess down to the hundredth of an inch to see if someone got the first down.

But my favorite spotting is how they spot punts out of bounds. Unless it rolls out, punts out of bounds always somehow go out of bounds right at a yard marker that's an interval of 5.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123