Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Vikings sign GM Rick Spielman to a multi-year extension

Rick Spielman
    GM, Minnesota Vikings

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Vikings signed GM Rick Spielman to a multi-year extension.

Spielman has held the title of GM since 2012. The Vikings have posted two losing seasons in his eight-year tenure and have a 72-54 record under Spielman. He previously served as the Vice President of Player Personnel in Minnesota for six seasons before assuming his current role. The Vikings have Kirk Cousins under contract through 2022 and head coach Mike Zimmer locked up through 2023. Spielman is an aggressive GM and his tenacity has largely been rewarded. Minnesota has one of the brightest outlooks from an organizational perspective in the league.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    Aug 2, 2020, 8:33 PM ET
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Expected move.

Zimmer, Spielman, and Cousins get a few more years to get it done!

No problem with this at all, actually I like it and I think it's the right move. Speilman and Zim are widely considered top 10 and I have been pretty happy with the moves. Draft has been great and while I would like some more aggressive moves in FA at times I'm also ok what he has done.

The only problem, and well it's because we are the Vikings, they are the only combo that have been together for the last 6 years that has not won a SB lol. Typical...

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    No problem with this at all, actually I like it and I think it's the right move. Speilman and Zim are widely considered top 10 and I have been pretty happy with the moves. Draft has been great and while I would like some more aggressive moves in FA at times I'm also ok what he has done.

The only problem, and well it's because we are the Vikings, they are the only combo that have been together for the last 6 years that has not won a SB lol. Typical...
    Yeah, people like to point to that fact as why "Zimmer and Spielman will never win a championship". I don't buy that at all. They are more than capable. Our QBs' legs just need to stop falling off and we need a few balls to bounce our way (like any SB-winning team).

the most successful teams have a HC/GM combo that works together well and do it for a long time......not either's fault Teddy happened, or Treadwell tanked, or any other number of things that set the team back
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    the most successful teams have a HC/GM combo that works together well and do it for a long time......not either's fault Teddy happened, or Treadwell tanked, or any other number of things that set the team back
    I was so excited we drafted Treadwell. Hopefully JJ doesn't turn into Treadwell part 2 lol

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I was so excited we drafted Treadwell. Hopefully JJ doesn't turn into Treadwell part 2 lol
    I wouldn't worry about that. Jefferson excels in basically all the areas that Treadwell struggled. I think Jeffersons floor is a WR3 like Mohamed Sanu. Ceiling is somebody like Keenan Allen or Robert Woods. Somewhere in between that group is Tyler Boyd.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 08-11-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that. Jefferson excels in basically all the areas that Treadwell struggled. I think Jeffersons floor is a WR3 like Mohamed Sanu. Ceiling is somebody like Keenan Allen or Robert Woods. Somewhere in between that group is Tyler Boyd.
    If he ended up Tyler Boyd I'd be happy