Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 121
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,905
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Very true. But if your team only consists of Westbrook or Lowry, the team with Westbrook is closer to winning a title. Lowry can be better in certain situations, but so can Westbrook. I'd venture to say in his prime there were more situations that Westbrook improved.
    That assumes that you believe a player like Westbrook can control his impulses or mental hiccups to take you there. If he had ever demonstrated this he wouldn't be Russell Westbrook is what I'm saying.

    If you think a players mental game would prevent them from ever having a chance to win a title, then obviously you wouldn't agree that you are any closer. And that is my position.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Your answer probably changes from game to game with a player like Westbrook but fair enough.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    More like month to month. After November, I was still convinced I hated the trade because he was playing like garbage. But I felt much definitely by the end of the calendar year. He's played some pretty damn good basketball the last month.


  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    17,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    That assumes that you believe a player like Westbrook can control his impulses or mental hiccups to take you there. If he had ever demonstrated this he wouldn't be Russell Westbrook is what I'm saying.

    If you think a players mental game would prevent them from ever having a chance to win a title, then obviously you wouldn't agree that you are any closer. And that is my position.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Again it depends. Building a team to win rings boils down to fit and the competition. I canít say Derrick fisher was a better point guard than Garry Payton but fisher fit was better than Payton. I agree Kyle would fit certain teams better. But he cannot shoulder a team like Westbrook. I think a lot of people confuse better fit and better player. This was something that was going on with Dudley and Melo Lakers signing.
    Last edited by ldawg; 01-10-2020 at 03:40 PM.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    45,852
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post

    Also, I feel like you're being pretty hypocritical here. Weren't you the guy who at some point last year openly admitted he really barely watched games anymore? It doesn't really seem like you have a leg to stand on in the "you don't watch enough games" argument.

    As far as my time, I've got a wife and an 11-month-old kid at home, and my job is pretty demanding. I don't have the time to watch the NBA every night, and I'm not going to apologize for that. But I take offense to the idea that I don't know enough about the game or haven't watched enough basketball over the years. I wouldn't even be able to contemplate the number of hours I've spent watching games, watching highlights, listening to podcasts, reading books, reading articles, etc. on the league since I started basketball as a kid. And that's not taking into account the nearly 13 years I've been posting here and all the research I've done to discuss basketball with you guys.

    Bottom line, are the Rockets better on paper than they were with CP3 last season? My gut right now tells me no. But I don't think they're discernibly worse either. I'd say they're roughly the same team, but the supporting cast might be slightly better, and Harden has been better this season (minus the last two games; he was atrocious the last two nights). But I stand by two things: (1) That Westbrook is probably more likely to play 70+ games and be healthy in the playoffs; and (2) That Harden and Westbrook appear to be playing better next to each other (and having more fun playing with each other) than Harden and Paul were last season.
    Its not my argument chief, I was merely explaining to you what I would personally be more impressed with. Back in my binge mode days I used to watch every team except for maybe a few dumpster fires but I would never focus too heavily on watching 1. Its just as a humble brag, I would have been more impressed with that kind of response. And I mentioned how I have more success listening to those kind of people than the hardcore fans of their hometown team. Just a personal taste.

    I know your opinion, I was just disagreeing with 99% of it. I think theyre better off with RWB simply because Harden and CP3 appeared to have some sort of falling out, I know theres that man boobs joke going around. But in terms of how they actually performed, I think they're measurably worse and dont see how the fun is translating to an improved team. I think Morey understands the high variance bet hes made but its one that gives the team a different dynamic (as you mentioned) its yet to be seen if thats an upgrade.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    45,852
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    So you basically made my point for me here, which is that Harden and Westbrook play a little better together than Paul and Harden. The eye test isn't lying. Now, is the team worse than it was last year when Harden sat? Undoubtedly, and I'm not disputing this. For those 10-11 minutes a game, I'm holding my breath a lot more than I did last season. That's the drawback of Westbrook being on your team, and I am more than willing to admit it's a mixed bag--that Philadelphia game was ROUGH.

    EDIT: What was your source for these stats?
    Umm its a negligible difference vs the vast superiority elsewhere and thats without accounting for their horrible start together last year. Its such a small sample its not really making your point so much as showing you where the bar is. After last nights spanking to CP3's Thunder, that number together is now down to 6.2. Are they suddenly vastly worse than you thought yesterday?

    Its because of RWB that teams can double Harden more daringly and I dont see how such an inefficient player is somehow a great outlet option. I gotta check to see if he makes this is up with assists (in which case, if theres a big difference there, Harden should be having a career high in hockey assists) but when you consider RWB is THIS inefficient while still getting his in transition, you cant help but wonder how bad his numbers are in the halfcourt. Maybe it doesn't matter if thats when Harden shines.


    As for your edit, I got these from NBA.com, literally just google nba.com on off

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Covina CA
    Posts
    18,951
    I can see Westbrook getting traded to the Knicks. I think the Rockets could really improve by moving him and could fix their depth with a trade to NY. I don't think Harden or Westbrook belong playing along side another star. Try to surround them with 3/D guys and let them go nuts shooting 50 times a game. Would be fun to watch anyway.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    45,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    I can see Westbrook getting traded to the Knicks. I think the Rockets could really improve by moving him and could fix their depth with a trade to NY. I don't think Harden or Westbrook belong playing along side another star. Try to surround them with 3/D guys and let them go nuts shooting 50 times a game. Would be fun to watch anyway.
    Nah man, hes getting at least 1 full season with Harden. This was their arrogant owners big splashy move, his first after a year or so as merely an overseer. Hes bragged about imposing more of his will on the team moving forward. Hes gonna wanna play this one out till the bitter end.

    I see them breaking up the way Iverson and Melo (good friends) splitting after a year or 2. Not sure any team wants RWB's combination of Salary and production (unless this recent splurge is a sign of his return to form), not even the Knicks. Well maybe the Knicks but they dont have these players you think the Rockets should covet. They got all PF's and PG's over there.

    I could see the T'Wolves sending Dieng, Covington and whatever else for RWB.

    What other team desperately needs a PG who demands the ball this much to be effective? Detroit? Miami needs CP3 far more than RWB to fit into their egalitarian offense thats for sure.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    2,608
    Iím glad the rockets saved us from getting Westbrook, I would have to assume we were about to massively overpay for him. But on the other hand we couldíve also won the championship this year with him depending on if Spo could get him to play a more efficient style. I like our future outlook much more now though than I would with him. Itís a shame CP3 has that 3rd year or hed be in Miami right now for winslow and salary filler. Presti thought he was going to flip Westbrook to the rockets for picks then get more assets from Miami for CP3.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Covina CA
    Posts
    18,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Nah man, hes getting at least 1 full season with Harden. This was their arrogant owners big splashy move, his first after a year or so as merely an overseer. Hes bragged about imposing more of his will on the team moving forward. Hes gonna wanna play this one out till the bitter end.

    I see them breaking up the way Iverson and Melo (good friends) splitting after a year or 2. Not sure any team wants RWB's combination of Salary and production (unless this recent splurge is a sign of his return to form), not even the Knicks. Well maybe the Knicks but they dont have these players you think the Rockets should covet. They got all PF's and PG's over there.

    I could see the T'Wolves sending Dieng, Covington and whatever else for RWB.

    What other team desperately needs a PG who demands the ball this much to be effective? Detroit? Miami needs CP3 far more than RWB to fit into their egalitarian offense thats for sure.
    It wouldn't be that the Rockets covet anyone on the Knicks. It would be that they realize the Westbrook experiment isn't working and they need to move on before they get stuck with him. They could get basically all expiring contracts from the Knicks and guys like Morris, Gibson, Payton, Bullock, ect could help them win this year. Maybe your Minnesota idea works better but I think he'd want to kill Wiggins and Towns like Jimmy did. Other than that, like you said, options are limited on who would want and even afford RWB. Trading for him definitely seems like a Knicks move and I actually think it would be a good one for them.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    How so? Care to elaborate?
    I would have to assume he means literally never take a shot other than right at the rim or in transition. No reason for him to shoot 3s at the clip he is. I could be wrong but I think that's what he was getting at.


    Rippin' lips son!!

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,703
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    How so? Care to elaborate?
    This is his new thing. He did it to me last night. Focussed on only my first sentence while I had 4 paragraphs that he completely ignored because I was stating big facts
    MTM is my puppet and I am his puppet master.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    This is his new thing. He did it to me last night. Focussed on only my first sentence while I had 4 paragraphs that he completely ignored because I was stating big facts
    I think what he meant was Simmons is a big defensive guard and that would compliment Harden in the back court nicely. But I think that pairing would run in the same issues, Harden needs floor spacers around him
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 01-11-2020 at 01:05 AM.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    That assumes that you believe a player like Westbrook can control his impulses or mental hiccups to take you there. If he had ever demonstrated this he wouldn't be Russell Westbrook is what I'm saying.

    If you think a players mental game would prevent them from ever having a chance to win a title, then obviously you wouldn't agree that you are any closer. And that is my position.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Bro you need to expand your basketball horizons beyond Lowry, DeRozan, WB. It's obvious you don't like a certain prototype of player. But you have great knowledge on statistical analysis and effecincy. Share more of that beyond 3-4 players. Its like you have a nice midrange game you don't want to expand beyond the arc which is sort of ironic metaphorically speaking.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    110,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Iím glad the rockets saved us from getting Westbrook, I would have to assume we were about to massively overpay for him. But on the other hand we couldíve also won the championship this year with him depending on if Spo could get him to play a more efficient style. I like our future outlook much more now though than I would with him. Itís a shame CP3 has that 3rd year or hed be in Miami right now for winslow and salary filler. Presti thought he was going to flip Westbrook to the rockets for picks then get more assets from Miami for CP3.
    he couldnt and you wouldnt and the depth you would have lost would have killed your team... there is no championship with butler/westy combo

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    110,633
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think what he meant was Simmons is a big defensive guard and that would compliment Harden in the back court nicely. But I think that pairing would run in the same issues, Harden needs floor spacers around him
    not if ben simmons is posting/cutting with a coach who is using him as a pf and not a pg... harden is the point... harden demands doubles... ben now would be much more effective playing his role as pf on the rockets over how he plays on the sixers... harden/simmons would work much much better then westy... its not super ideal but it would work a ton better.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •