Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red sox used replay room to steal signs in 2018

Report: Red Sox used replay room to steal signs https://es.pn/2s2w6mN
    via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

The*Boston Red Sox*used their video replay room to steal signs from opposing pitchers and catchers during their 2018 World Series championship season, according to a report published Tuesday by The Athletic.

Citing three anonymous people who were with the Red Sox in 2018,*The Athletic reported*that Boston players would visit the replay room to decipher their opponents' sign sequence and then relay the information to the dugout.

Someone from the Red Sox dugout would then communicate with a baserunner, who would use body movements to relay pitch information to the batter.

The use of the video room for sign stealing, which one Red Sox source described to The Athletic as "cheating," was a practice only during the 2018 regular season, according to the report.

Multiple Red Sox sources told The Athletic that the system was impossible to use during the postseason because Major League Baseball had in-person monitors stationed in all video replay rooms during the playoffs.

"It's cheating," a source who was with the Red Sox in 2018 told The Athletic.

"Because if you're using a camera to zoom in on the crotch of the catcher, to break down the sign system, and then take that information and give it out to the runner, then he doesn't have to steal it."
    Major League Baseball told The Athletic that it will investigate the allegations against the Red Sox.

"The Commissioner made clear in a September 15, 2017, memorandum to clubs how seriously he would take any future violation of the regulations regarding use of electronic equipment or the inappropriate use of the video replay room," MLB said in its statement to The Athletic. "Given these allegations, MLB will commence an investigation into this matter."

As part of its crackdown on electronic sign stealing late in 2017 and before the 2018 season, MLB stated*in a memo to all 30 teams*that all "electronic equipment, including game feeds in the Club replay room and/or video room, may never be used during a game for the purpose of stealing the opposing team's signs."

Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who guided Boston to the World Series title in his debut 2018 season,*could also be facing discipline*as part of MLB's investigation of the 2017*Houston Astros*for alleged sign stealing.

Cora was the Astros' bench coach in 2017. The Red Sox have declined to comment to The Athletic on Tuesday's report.
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 01-07-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Red Sox being accused of electronic sign stealing in 2018

First the 2017 Astros now the 2018 Red Sox. I feel sorry for the Dodgers and their fans the most

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07...aling-in-2018/

Wonder if they'll face any discipline.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Are teams really so scared of the Dodgers, that they have to go out and steal signs?

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Lol Dodgers (though having said that, apparently the Red Sox only used this method in the regular season).

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

What the.... It’s to the point all electronics have to be checked, an umpire has to follow someone when they go into the locker room, no televisions allowed, and perhaps the phones to the bullpen as well.

I seriously doubt the redsox only used this method in the regular season.

The report said players would wander into the unguarded replay room during regular season games to decipher opponents' sign sequences. That information would be relayed to a runner on second base. The runner would signal to the hitter whether the incoming pitch was a fastball — right foot off the bag first — or an offspeed offering — left foot first. This system, according to The Athletic, only worked with a runner on second or sometimes first.

The Red Sox led the league in runs scored in 2018 (876). The method stopped during the postseason when MLB instituted an in-person monitor inside the video replay rooms, a practice that carried over into the 2019 season.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ns/2831990001/

Guess the Dodgers can't use that excuse for their shortcomings in October....

It's going to be really embarrassing for all the players, front office guys and fans who criticized the Astros when, over the course of this investigation, all of their teams start getting implicated in some kind of cheating. I'm just waiting for the ball to drop on the Yankees. That's going to make me very, very happy...

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    It's going to be really embarrassing for all the players, front office guys and fans who criticized the Astros when, over the course of this investigation, all of their teams start getting implicated in some kind of cheating. I'm just waiting for the ball to drop on the Yankees. That's going to make me very, very happy...
    Who knows, but if it is true, it could be why Girardi left?

Psh....doubt it.

Well, that ruins my theory.

The Yankees were already fined, but stopped after being fined in 2016(for using dugout phone, not electronics). Yankees have not been fined or caught doing anything else(as far as I know)

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/red-...hone/254437924

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 01-07-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast