Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Broncos fire Scangarello

@TomPelissero
    The #Broncos fired offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello, source said.

What the actual ****.

nykol is offline PSD's D.B.F. Nostradamus
    Im torn on this. If you had asked me half way, even 3/4s the way through the season i would have endorsed this. I feel the run game was severely lacking and play calling was predictable and very conservative. What has me worried is Locks development and even what scangs would have been able to self assess and grow.

My only guess as to why, is that they already have a replacement on his way in from the number of coaches let go over the last 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by nykol View Post
    Im torn on this. If you had asked me half way, even 3/4s the way through the season i would have endorsed this. I feel the run game was severely lacking and play calling was predictable and very conservative. What has me worried is Locks development and even what scangs would have been able to self assess and grow.

My only guess as to why, is that they already have a replacement on his way in from the number of coaches let go over the last 2 weeks
    Part of me really doesn't like it because you want continuity for a young QB.

Part of me is scared because the Browns just took the Vikings offensive coordinator to be their HC today so this could be a huge sign that Kubiak is coming back.

Part of me is optimistic because all reports are saying that Fangio wants the offense to be more aggressive and Scangs couldn't get on board with that. It really irritated me that a lot of times the offense would get so conservative and play not to lose.

No matter what, I want Munchak to stay. I really like the idea of Shurmur coming over. But with Stefanski leaving the Vikings today, they want Shurmur. That might make Kubiak's role in MN worthless now.

I hate to say it, but this Scangs firing has a Kubiak reunion written all over it.

Sounds like Shurmur is the guy

Insanity. From a continuity aspect, I hate this. Really looking forward to scangs and Lock grow together. Scangs has promise but he simply needs the experience..what a sucker punch to the guy.

With that said, Fangio is directly putting his stamp on this team. Fangio didn't like Scangs tendencies (honestly...Scangs was an Elway move..)..and Fangio gets who HE wants.

Shurmur is definitely considered an upgrade. What an aggressive move by Fangio.

I am very okay with dumping him. His game planning, in game adjustments and situational play calling was mediocre at best for 80% of the season. And I'm not sure how anyone can bring up 'continuity' when discussing a total of 5 games.

With that said....I'm not on the Shurmer train.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    I am very okay with dumping him. His game planning, in game adjustments and situational play calling was mediocre at best for 80% of the season. And I'm not sure how anyone can bring up 'continuity' when discussing a total of 5 games.

What are you talking about? Even though Lock only played in 5 games, he still learned the offense for the entire season lol

I just don't understand the animosity towards Scangs. It's his first year learning on the job as an OC. He already showed excellent potential on his scripted plays...he needed to work on when off script and overall feel of the game. Folks, that's something VETERAN OC's have trouble doing to this very day.

Folks are lying if they didn't get a breath of fresh air with Scangs designs and what he was trying to do...something we haven't had on offense since Adam Gase and PFM. You know that "fresh, young, innovative mind"

We finally got it....then we just didn't want it. Makes no damn sense.

The way I see it, this is the guy that Fangio wanted to get to "winning from now on." IMO, Fangio doesn't have time to wait on his young QB and young OC to grow together (something I was looking forward to, honestly) and wanted to get a guy who is proven in all the boxes. Developing QB' (check), tailoring offenses to their strengths (check), play-calling with the flow of the game (check), and evidently...being more aggressive...which is what he is suppose to bring..

It's going to be an interesting study on Shurmur's tendencies but Fangio made this move with conviction.

This is telling us, to the fans, we have OUR guy at QB...we feel that Shurmur is going to get the absolute best out of him...so we can win immediately and from now on.

I mean...I can only have faith.

nykol is offline PSD's D.B.F. Nostradamus
    Shurmur does have a knack for getting the best out of young QB's. McNabb, Foles, Bradford and Keenum all had their best years with Shurmur as the OC. Danny Dimes had a pretty good rookie season with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    I just don't understand the animosity towards Scangs. It's his first year learning on the job as an OC. He already showed excellent potential on his scripted plays...he needed to work on when off script and overall feel of the game. Folks, that's something VETERAN OC's have trouble doing to this very day.

Folks are lying if they didn't get a breath of fresh air with Scangs designs and what he was trying to do...something we haven't had on offense since Adam Gase and PFM. You know that "fresh, young, innovative mind"

We finally got it....then we just didn't want it. Makes no damn sense.

The way I see it, this is the guy that Fangio wanted to get to "winning from now on." IMO, Fangio doesn't have time to wait on his young QB and young OC to grow together (something I was looking forward to, honestly) and wanted to get a guy who is proven in all the boxes. Developing QB' (check), tailoring offenses to their strengths (check), play-calling with the flow of the game (check), and evidently...being more aggressive...which is what he is suppose to bring..

It's going to be an interesting study on Shurmur's tendencies but Fangio made this move with conviction.

This is telling us, to the fans, we have OUR guy at QB...we feel that Shurmur is going to get the absolute best out of him...so we can win immediately and from now on.

I mean...I can only have faith.
    Exactly... But hearing reports that Scangs wasn't a huge fan of Lock and it ultimately was Fangio who forced Scangs to get Lock ready to play.... It ended up being a really bad look for Scangs that Lock went out and played as well as he did. Especially because Lock was looking to force the ball down the field and Scangs wanted it to be really conservative.

I was all for Scangs growing with us but the one thing that doesn't really change in a coach is their philosophy. And if he wasn't willing to change his, then there's no point in going forward with him.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Exactly... But hearing reports that Scangs wasn't a huge fan of Lock and it ultimately was Fangio who forced Scangs to get Lock ready to play.... It ended up being a really bad look for Scangs that Lock went out and played as well as he did. Especially because Lock was looking to force the ball down the field and Scangs wanted it to be really conservative.

I was all for Scangs growing with us but the one thing that doesn't really change in a coach is their philosophy. And if he wasn't willing to change his, then there's no point in going forward with him.
    Maaan....these reports just like to conveniently come out huh? I'm not buying that Scangs didn't "like" Lock. Scangs is coming from the Lil Shanny tree, who has a reputation of doing things a very particular way...not exactly a "yes man," so Fangio and Scangs butted heads....big whoop. Coaches do that.

Just call a spade a spade. Fangio simply did not have the time to wait to see if Scangs would develop into that promising OC...while tutoring the promising young QB.

The more I analyze it...that's the answer I come to. If Shurmur wasn't available...we keep Scangs. I find that the highest of likelihoods.

Fangio put his chips into a guy who he clearly trusts and has a track record of getting results from a variety of skill-sets and talents.

We are gunning to win now....and from now on. And I can appreciate that. Time for the rest of the organization to follow up..
    Last edited by BRAVE KID; 01-17-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post

Eh, Shurmur has results. RZ scoring is a bit concerning with me considering he's really never been top tier with that....but guess what...the Shanny Tree is notorious for that **** so...that's kinda a moot point huh? lol.

I guess cautiously optimist is the proper term here. Honestly, the spread concept is more up Lock's alley than Scangs/Lil Shanny's method....but not like Lock was a poor fit for Scangs style either...though the moment Lock came in we immediately went into shotgun way more often than under center.

We're going to need some serious talent at WR for this to work....how fortunate that this draft has basically all of that.

Curious about the O-line play as well. If I'm not mistaken...I believe Shurmur has gotten good production from his o-line units.

He is a very aggressive but good couch