Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Carson Wentz Thread

Time has passed since the draft so this may give us a good chance to look at things a bit more clear. I read some reports over the weekend that didn't paint Carson in the best light regarding the concussion he suffered against Seattle and his "refusing" to back in the game before any testing was ever completed, even demanding that his wife be let in to the locker room.

I know how these click-bait stories go, but let's say some of this is true. Does this have bearing on what took place at the draft? Do the Eagles still view Carson as the guy? Historically, back up QB's aren't taken that early in the draft, especially after just signing a franchise guy for additional years and money. There are ways to defend the pick (insurance, cheap back-up, etc.) but one thing can't be argued, this has raised a lot of eyebrows about the true intention of drafting a guy THAT high on a team arguably having a shortage of playmakers in a draft that could/should have been "Carson's Draft".

Is the writing on the wall? Are the Eagles as married to Carson as we thought they were prior to "The Concussion". Are we dealing with a potential Andrew Luck situation and the Eagles are trying to get ahead of it the best they can?

It's the Carson Thread y'all, let's have your theories.

Iíve heard this before and I really hope there isnít any truth to this because if wentz has a concussion, itís a ***** move to expect him to go out and play on it. Iím 100% behind any player that doesnít want to go back into a game after receiving a concussion. Football is for entertainment, no need to risk long term health issues for it.

Say Wentz does go back in the game because the eagles made him go back in, he gets hit in the head again on a sack (because he is a QB, defenses try to kill him) and because he gets hit again he sustains permanent brain damage. How much do you think wentz wife can sue the eagles for?

Wentz staying out of that game definitely hurt the eagles chances of winning but it was probably for the best for more multiple reasons

Your baby can't do this

As far as how they feel about Carson, I think they look at Carson as a player with god given talent but is injury prone. I do think itís possible that they see another Andrew luck type situation going on here and drafting hurts is not only insurance short term if wentz gets hurt but also insurance long term if wentz calls it quits like Andrew luck did

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Iíve heard this before and I really hope there isnít any truth to this because if wentz has a concussion, itís a ***** move to expect him to go out and play on it. Iím 100% behind any player that doesnít want to go back into a game after receiving a concussion. Football is for entertainment, no need to risk long term health issues for it.

Say Wentz does go back in the game because the eagles made him go back in, he gets hit in the head again on a sack (because he is a QB, defenses try to kill him) and because he gets hit again he sustains permanent brain damage. How much do you think wentz wife can sue the eagles for?

Wentz staying out of that game definitely hurt the eagles chances of winning but it was probably for the best for more multiple reasons
    Reports are that he was refusing to play BEFORE there was any testing done. Again, I'm not saying I believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Reports are that he was refusing to play BEFORE there was any testing done. Again, I'm not saying I believe that.
    Well I donít think that report is true because he stayed on the field for like 3-5 more plays after clowney hit him if I remember correctly.

Now he mighta come off the field and said ďhey guys, Iím having blurred vision. I want to be tested for a concussion before I go back in the gameĒ

Personally, I donít see a problem with that.

Your baby can't do this

Well I donít think that report is true because he stayed on the field for like 3-5 more plays after clowney hit him if I remember correctly.

Now he mighta come off the field and said ďhey guys, Iím having blurred vision. I want to be tested for a concussion before I go back in the gameĒ

Yeah, I went back and double checked. Wentz stayed in the game for 5 plays after the clowney hit.

Your baby can't do this

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything bad with looking out for personal health.

id Like to believe wentz is here to stay long term, truth is come 31-35 Iím not quite sure he will keep playing

Maybe the plan is to move on from him come the end of his contract and have hurts entering his prime

Idk, I obviously donít think wentz and hurts are in the same league talent wise but I donít want to short change hurts physical gifts. He has all the physical traits of a franchise QB

But what separates wentz is his incredible instincts to go with his elite physical gifts.

Not sure about hurts instincts. But I have incredible faith in his physical gifts

Now that they FINALLY got Wentz some weapons to play with, we'll see how he performs with those weapons. IF he is as good as he is projected to be, then he should have a great year. IF he struggles this year with his performance, then the Hurts pick will look like a genius move.
    IF he gets hurt again, then they just might give up on him.

The Carson Wentz Thread

Just a FYI, wentz had a live phone Q&A about an hour or so ago. I think the connection mighta been lost because there was only about 10-15 minutes of questions and it seemed like it ended all of a sudden.

Anyway, naturally a lot of the questions were based on what Carson thought of the jalen hurts pick. Among his answers he said:

* He trusts the front office will put the team in the best position to win

* Heís heard nothing but good things about jalen hurts and is excited to have him in the QB room

* He is open to sharing snaps with jalen and field time with jalen, basically anything to help the team win

* He is (I think the words he used was) ďultra excitedĒ about getting jalen reagor and cant wait to get to work with him

* He is also very excited about marquise Goodwin and did say heís happy about the other receivers but did not call them by name

* he said heís missed a few meetings due to the birth of his daughter but he has talked with Rich Scabgerelo (new senior offensive assistant) a few times and wentz is happy to ďadd another intelligent mind to the coaching staffĒ

*about the early exit in the playoffs he said "I can confirm I had a concussion and I was dealing with symptoms. It was scary stuff. You only get one of these brains and you have to protect it."
    Last edited by jaydubb; 05-04-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Go watch the final episode of "All or Nothing" and you will see this a crock of crap. He literally gets spoken to by some sideline guys and says, "I'm not feeling right." Then they take him into the tent. Also, it will tug at your heart strings watching Josh Mac battle and then break down in tears in the hallway and saying he let the team and the city down.

There has to be some concern in the front office about an early retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by abelugawhale View Post
    There has to be some concern in the front office about an early retirement.
    If you are saying due to injury, I would think that concern is very minuscule. He got popped in the head last year on a hit as he was going to the ground. If we were talking about back to back to back years hurting the same knee or having concussions I would agree. The fact that it was an ACL (on really a freak play), a back, and concussion sounds more like bad luck than chronically getting injured. The back and knee were both fine last year.

Hurts got picked because our FO values the backup QB position almost as much as the starting role. Look at the top two QBs for the past 10 or so years (since Roseman has been GM in 2010).

2010 -- Kolb/Vick
    2011 -- Vick/Young (Young was thought to be challenging Vick for the starting role)
    2012 -- Vick/Foles
    2013 -- Vick/Foles
    2014 -- Foles/Sanchez
    2015 -- Bradford/Sanchez
    2016 -- Wentz/Daniel (Wentz started all 16 games)
    2017 -- Wentz/Foles (ACL in game 13)
    2018 -- Wentz/Foles (Back in game 11)
    2019 -- Wentz/Mccown (Starter all 17 games)
    2020 -- Wentz/Hurts

The only season we had a true backup situation was Wentz's first season in 2016. The rest have two capable starters (except this past season).

Have heard some analysts say they think Doug drafted hurts to actually just be another weapon to throw in there in situations because heís an actual QB

I wouldnít be surprised if their thought is literally just to use him here and there and have him there for a spot game if needed

Howie Roseman said that he never wants any position on the team to derail a season. Even QB, he believes in having guys behind other guys that can keep the ship going

Itís very New England next man up

Thatís why he drafted 100 WRs and a QB. Because if QB goes down they want someone who can move the offense. And they were so decimated at WR that they want a good amount of cheap talented depth there.

I'll state first off, I'm in no way worried about these reports. I've yet to see anything I'd deem credible that Carson Wentz was cowering in a corner refusing to play football even before anyone mentioned he had a concussion as the way they paint them. Not to mention, I don't blame the guy for refusing to go back into a game before testing. When it comes down to it...his long term health is the most important thing for him. He'll appreciate not having CTE in 25 years more than he would a half of football. So I don't even care if he was saying "no, I won't go back in the game" before he was diagnosed. He may have already known there was something very wrong. I've had a concussion. You know when you don't feel right.

Secondly, if the worry about Carson Wentz is "well, I don't know if he's the long term answer at QB", then I'm not sure Jalen Hurts is the QB you draft. Scouts are very split on him. Hurts held the ball longer than any other college QB last year. He was in a simple single-read offense. He's not a great passer. Some see Russell Wilson there, and I appreciate that thought, because I can see it, but I also see a QB who could be far too slow in reading an NFL progression who eats sacks consistently, too. I'm not very sold on the idea that Hurts is a next level franchise QB. I have a feeling he does, it'll be because he's given a decent amount of time and work to develop...and not that he's thrown into the fire in week 5 next year because Wentz is down for 3-5 games.

In the end, I'm not worried about Wentz going forward. He had an elevating year last year with one of the weakest surrounding casts you could have imagined and took them to the playoffs. I don't think many QB's end up winning the NFC East, even if it was weak, with what he had. And with any luck, the Eagles won't really have to find out what they have in Hurts simply because Wentz is too healthy to ever really know.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 05-07-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast