Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayzak15 View Post
    This is the most frustrating part. Held onto Mccarthy, Capers and Thompson about 3-4 years too long
    yup.... the writing was there for everyone to see... clear as day. Hopefully we can luck into another GOAT type QB

We crushed free agency. That doesn't always happen. Heck, that's actually quite rare. So to act like we simply could have done this a few years ago and had the same result is such a lazy take with no nuance, but why would I expect any sort of nuance on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    We crushed free agency. That doesn't always happen. Heck, that's actually quite rare. So to act like we simply could have done this a few years ago and had the same result is such a lazy take with no nuance, but why would I expect any sort of nuance on this forum.
    So true on FA. SI had a good article...the Packers' six highest paid players balled in the Divisional Round. Need your best players to play their best in playoffs. Also I will say the draft has been good too. It's easy to look and say Gary is a project which he is, but Savage and Jenkins have been huge. Savage for obvious reasons in the secondary and Jenkins has stabilized the offensive line. THe starters are great but not much depth until Veldy stepped in this week. Jenkins hasn't allowed a sack and is good in the run too. He is going to be a 10-year pro if healthy.

we crushed free agency because we actually choose to do something in free agency... on top of that the players we got in free agency would be far worse in the dom capers defense. It was clear as day and easy to see and remember how much **** you were giving me making every excuse in the world for mm/dc/tt? it literally took that change for us to be 14-3 this year with a declining rodgers and limited weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    we crushed free agency because we actually choose to do something in free agency... on top of that the players we got in free agency would be far worse in the dom capers defense. It was clear as day and easy to see and remember how much **** you were giving me making every excuse in the world for mm/dc/tt? it literally took that change for us to be 14-3 this year with a declining rodgers and limited weapons.
    It helped we had a shitload of money bc Ted was going senile and hadn't drafted anyone we needed to re-sign the last few drafts lol.

But you could argue we kept too many of our own, etc. But we had a buttload of money. We spent money the year before and ended up with Graham, Lewis, Wilkerson, Tramon, and House? Tramon probably ended up being the best value, which seems insane. I don't think too many people are happy with Graham even after Sunday.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we can't buy two Smiths and a highly paid guard every year just because we have Gute. but Gute killed it, hell Veldheer and Ervin were amazing low key late moves. Sadly Lynch in SF has Exec of the year locked up I would presume.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    It helped we had a shitload of money bc Ted was going senile and hadn't drafted anyone we needed to re-sign the last few drafts lol.

But you could argue we kept too many of our own, etc. But we had a buttload of money. We spent money the year before and ended up with Graham, Lewis, Wilkerson, Tramon, and House? Tramon probably ended up being the best value, which seems insane. I don't think too many people are happy with Graham even after Sunday.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we can't buy two Smiths and a highly paid guard every year just because we have Gute. but Gute killed it, hell Veldheer and Ervin were amazing low key late moves. Sadly Lynch in SF has Exec of the year locked up I would presume.
    Exactly. And had the packers reacted to every whim that fans had in free agency we'd be buried in awful contracts. Remember how much people wanted a guy like that me Trumaine Johnson? Every year we clamored for guys like that and those guys maybe have a 50% success rate at best. Both Smiths had career years in their first year after signing a monster contract. How often does that happen? It happened with Gilmore. Casey Hayward didn't sign a huge deal before he broke out. It happened with Micah Hyde. But for the most part, guys don't break out after signing monster deals. They usually either stay the same or take a step back. That didnt happen.

Kudos to gute for this offseason But to think he would have been able to pull that off any year is nuts. Heck, his first offseason was actually quite bad. Trading for a future first and still ending up with jaire was a really good move. Beyond that, Jackson looks like an awful pick. Burks is starting to see the field a little more but hasn't done much. So thats a wash pick at best. Jk Scott is okay and mvs and eq are maybe depth wr's, but that draft wasn't great. And like norm said, in FA he didn't address safety so we started kentrel Brice and Josh Jones for most of the year. He didn't address edge. Tramon was an okay signing I guess. He only addressed guard with Bell and relied in bell/udfa McCray. Basically swapping jordy for Graham was not good, although Graham finally made a big play this week. Lewis was fine but not great. Wilk got hurt so it's hard to grade that.

Not saying gute is bad. He had a phenomenal offseason. Savage and Jenkins are starting claiber players. Gary has upside and at least a rotational player floor. Sternberger is seeing the field more. Keke may have a future. Both Smiths and Amos have been great signings. Turner hasn't been elite and is probably slightly overpaid, but hes helped stabilize the line. So it wasn't a bad move.

All in all gute crushed it this year. But to act like thats repeatable and could have happened whenever is foolish. Enjoy this year. The moves are all a function of previous moves or lack there of. Trying to go back and say see if we did this earlier we would have been in this exact spot earlier is fools errand.

I feel like my call for LaFleur and Gute are looking good right about now ha.

MMs biggest downfall was keeping Capers around so long on the staff and a GM that was trash. His staff was trash and combine that with the frayed relationship with AR and it became too much. Had MM kept winning I think AR tolerates him but as soon as things started to go south AR was out. MM wanted TT to spend more. I think MM is a good coach and will do well in Dallas.

As things progress, it looks like Thompson was the problem more than anything. A couple DBs moved on and had success, but the front 7 was just so bad for so long. McCarthy kept capers too long for sure, but I'm not sure any DC really could have done a ton with that talent. Mike Neal and nick perry literally were unemployed post GB. They never got signed. Datone Jones was signed hit has bounced around. There was a period of time where those guys were combining with for clay for virtually all out snaps at OLB. We started guys like jerron mcmillan, MD Jennings and Charlie peprah at safety. Then there's the revolving door of garbage that's been our ilb room. Our talent on defense post super bowl was really bad. Collins, bishop and shields all basically suffering career ending injuries sure didnt help either.

As things progress, it looks like Thompson was the problem more than anything. A couple DBs moved on and had success, but the front 7 was just so bad for so long. McCarthy kept capers too long for sure, but ...
    it seems odd but TT forgot that a solid D line with depth made the secondary better but the longer TT drafted it became obvious he was convinced a young secondary could make the entire D unit solid. MM's greatest weakness and strength is his loyalty to coaches and players. there is a fine line to it and Mike got pushed around but even he realized the quality of players was slipping. he became vocal about it in the last 2 years under Ted. i know it's not entirely right but i feel like More Than Most. GB sat on it's hands for too long with FAs under Ted. the forum has debated and taken sides on the issue. in TT i trust was the catch phrase. he could have done more but he didn't because Rodgers masked most every flaw this team had for years. it got us only so far and as the window closes on his ability to play at a high level i find myself angry that we wasted years with a godlike QB. this is the second time this happened here in twenty years! good luck Green Bay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123