Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sorry bleu, but this has been bothering me and I cannot let it go...

Are you legitimately saying beane and co have done a bad job because they found a diamond in the ruff but only signed him to a 1 year deal?

Is that seriously the thing you have to say about this team right now?

Here are McShay's top WR's in order. All are currently projected as first round picks.

Jerry Jeudy (3)
    CeeDee Lamb (9)
    Henry Ruggs (15)
    Justin Jefferson (19)
    Tee Higgins (20)
    Laviska Shenault (24)
    Brandon Aiyuk (29)

Kiper (hasn't been updated since Dec. and only includes top 25):

Jeudy (4)
    Lamb (11)
    Shenault (12)
    Ruggs (13)
    Higgins (19)
    DeVonta Smith (23)

These guys seem to be the consensus top WRs across all sites. I love Higgins and Shenault for where the Bills pick and they are likely to be there as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Sorry bleu, but this has been bothering me and I cannot let it go...

Are you legitimately saying beane and co have done a bad job because they found a diamond in the ruff but only signed him to a 1 year deal?

Is that seriously the thing you have to say about this team right now?
    Hey Chong,

No, not saying that they did a bad job per se, what I'm saying is that let's not give them credit for something that they had absolutely no clue would occur. Kind of like the "proverbial blind squirel finding a nut," you don't then turn around and say that the blind squirrel is the wisest and more resourceful critter in the forest.

As well, if they are to retain him it will suck up a good portion of the cap that exists now, when they could have had him for far less.

Make sense?

In otherw words, I'm more than happy to give people credit for their top decisions (Lotulolei, Kroft, and Murphy among the bunch money/contract-wise) but I am not quick to give people credit for luck. It doesn't matter to me whether that luck comes in the form of an easy schedule, trades like Sheppard for Hughes, whom Whaley also just made on a poke-n-hope, great fortune with injuries, or a 6th-round QB that only ends up replacing a stiff QB but one that goes on to be the GOAT, as examples.

I couldnt even finish this post.

Im out.
    I know. Many many people get it tho.

As to this draft, I have absolutely no idea how they cannot possibly take an OT, DE/OLB of a strong pass-rushing nature, a/o a WR with their first two picks.

They don't have the draft capital to make any significant moves up.

Lots of talk about how much cap money we have, but that's also going to be w/o the team returning intact, i.e., sand Lorax, likely J. Phillips, and possibly Lawson, who IMO will be overpaid if they do end up resigning him.

So it's going to take a chunk of that cap money to replace what those guys did, if they even find players that fit and perform identically. Murphy and Lotulolei were expensive players that have equated to depth players. Move moves like them and they'll have taken a step backwards.

More lucky pick-ups like J. Phillips and they may do OK. I'm just not a big fan of counting on luck for team-building.

The defense will be fine, right now the major issue is the offense and the QB. If Allen sinks this season, or at least cannot prove to be an average passer, and he's still got quite the ways to go, then that'll be the end of McBeane whether you or I like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings & Bleu View Post
    Hey Chong,

No, not saying that they did a bad job per se, what I'm saying is that let's not give them credit for something that they had absolutely no clue would occur. Kind of like the "proverbial blind squirel finding a nut," you don't then turn around and say that the blind squirrel is the wisest and more resourceful critter in the forest.

As well, if they are to retain him it will suck up a good portion of the cap that exists now, when they could have had him for far less.

Make sense?

In otherw words, I'm more than happy to give people credit for their top decisions (Lotulolei, Kroft, and Murphy among the bunch money/contract-wise) but I am not quick to give people credit for luck. It doesn't matter to me whether that luck comes in the form of an easy schedule, trades like Sheppard for Hughes, whom Whaley also just made on a poke-n-hope, great fortune with injuries, or a 6th-round QB that only ends up replacing a stiff QB but one that goes on to be the GOAT, as examples.
    Again, couldnt even finish reading this.

Its just baffling. Do the pats get credit for picking Brady in the 6th? No way the could have known what he would become if they waited until the 6th round to pick him.

Would it have been better to have Phillips on a 2 or 3 year deal? Of course.
    How do you know he would have considered a longer contract? How do you know he would have been as dominant if he wasnt on a prove it deal? Maybe he knew he was ready to break out and was only looking for a 1 year deal.

Thank god beane has positioned the team to have major cap space again this offseason so retaining phillips is no problem.

Frankly I would be looking to pay him bigger dollars on another short term contract. If he keeps ascending into one of the best in the league then I have no issues paying him as such.
    Teams with top performers getting paid as top performers dont have issues. The issues arise when you are paying guys top dollar who arent performing for whatever reason.

If your sticking point is that they only signed a pro bowl DT to a 1 year prove it contract, he was the best player on our Dline, and they will have to sign him for a contract close to what he is worth to this team... I think that says a lot more about your mindset than it does the job Beane has done.

Honestly your take on this is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings & Bleu View Post
    As to this draft, I have absolutely no idea how they cannot possibly take an OT, DE/OLB of a strong pass-rushing nature, a/o a WR with their first two picks.

They don't have the draft capital to make any significant moves up.

Lots of talk about how much cap money we have, but that's also going to be w/o the team returning intact, i.e., sand Lorax, likely J. Phillips, and possibly Lawson, who IMO will be overpaid if they do end up resigning him.

So it's going to take a chunk of that cap money to replace what those guys did, if they even find players that fit and perform identically. Murphy and Lotulolei were expensive players that have equated to depth players. Move moves like them and they'll have taken a step backwards.

More lucky pick-ups like J. Phillips and they may do OK. I'm just not a big fan of counting on luck for team-building.

The defense will be fine, right now the major issue is the offense and the QB. If Allen sinks this season, or at least cannot prove to be an average passer, and he's still got quite the ways to go, then that'll be the end of McBeane whether you or I like it or not.
    Christ...

You think Lorax, Phillips and Lawson will cost 90 mil? Tf are you smoking?
    First of all who cares about Lorax. Cut him loose if hes asking for real money. He wont find more than a few mil anywhere.
    Lawson and Phillips will come in under 20mil combined. Remember I said that because Im going to remind you about it when the offseason is over.

So its luck when they succeed, but failure when they dont? K, again that says more about you than beane.

Now lets just say they do not add to the defence and keep the status quo - what is wrong with that? Im pretty content having a top 3 defence and focusing the offseason on improving the offence.

Youre acting like Lotulolei and Murphy were given huge money. Honestly they have provided exactly what I thought they would and exactly what theyre being paid to be. You thought Lotulolei would become or is being paid to be a top DL in the league??? I figured from his history and contract that he would be a situational run reinforcement - and hey... thats exactly what he is.
    Also Murphy has been a league average DE (oddly perfectly reflecting his contract) and was arguably our best defender in the playoff game this season.

I do not have a single ounce of disappointment In either of those contracts.

Also please take note so we can discuss this in a year:

If Allen does not improve next season then it will NOT mean the end of McDermott or beane.

Also please take note so we can discuss this in a year:

If Allen does not improve next season then it will NOT mean the end of McDermott or beane.
    Yea, McDermott and Beane are not going anywhere any time soon. If Allen regresses or fails to make strides next season, it's on him. Not McD and Beane.
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Buffalo Bills Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka Angelique Kerber Bianca Andreescu

Gregg olson visiting the bills and redskins. Id take him for sure. Hed be good with Knox.

Gregg olson visiting the bills and redskins. Id take him for sure. Hed be good with Knox.
    The foot issues are worrisome, but he's still a really productive TE when healthy. Also a great guy. Easy to root for. He'd become a fan favorite from day one. We need all the help we can get in the receiving game, so I'm 100% for this even with the risk that it doesn't work out the way we hope.
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Buffalo Bills Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka Angelique Kerber Bianca Andreescu

What do you guys think of signing josh Norman?

I think he would be a nice addition to the secondary. Id like to see him learn the safety game as the 3rd safety and 4th/slot corner... but I doubt he would accept.

I dont want Wallace or travon to lose snaps to Norman. Theyre good.

If we miss out on a WR like AJ Green in FA, anyone like the idea of actually trading up for a WR such as CeeDee Lamb?

I know WR is deep in this draft, but perhaps they only view 2-3 WRs as elite in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    If we miss out on a WR like AJ Green in FA, anyone like the idea of actually trading up for a WR such as CeeDee Lamb?

I know WR is deep in this draft, but perhaps they only view 2-3 WRs as elite in this draft.
    Im not 100% against it, but I would rather not.

I like the depth in their drafts, especially on the defensive side of things. In a perfect world the first 3 picks are taken where they are and all on the offensive side of the ball. Give me WR, OL, and RB in that order please.

Then defence from there.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast