Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 845
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    69,012
    What the Titans just did with Tannehill is exactly why you move on from Trubisky. Mariota sucked, he was benched and Tennessee has been one of the best teams in the NFL ever since.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Lenox
    Posts
    25,896
    Quote Originally Posted by I don't care. View Post
    As I've stated multiple times, Mitch was drafted too high for his experience. The kid shows flashes of great play, but he's not consistent.

    If he would have been drafted in the 4th round, there would be more patience with him. Because he was drafted 2nd overall, the expectation is high. This isn't his fault, it's Pace's fault. The kid was booed the first time he went out in public in Chicago. The kid never had a chance with many Bears Fans.

    I want him to succeed just because of the draft pics that were given up to draft him.

    I'm not the only fan that holds this thought on Mitch, but I will admit we're the minority here in this forum.
    If he was a 4th round pick nobody would care bc he wouldn't be given as many chances as he has/will.

    I'm kind of tired of the notion that he's shown great flashes so it warrants more chances/patience. Almost every QB does. Hell, David Blough made some big time plays last year. That's not what makes a QB great.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    What the Titans just did with Tannehill is exactly why you move on from Trubisky. Mariota sucked, he was benched and Tennessee has been one of the best teams in the NFL ever since.
    And there was a time not long ago that nearly the entire NFL world considered Tannehill a bust and a terrible QB who couldn't read a defense.

    You might as well accept it, Mitch will be your QB next season.

    I do hope that Pace signs a Vet and drafts another QB.

    Mitch had a terrible year and I wouldn't want to see Pace put his entire faith in him.

    I honestly don't believe that Mitch is or will be a "Franchise" QB, but I can see him being a game manager type. He protects the ball and he does have physical talent. Whether or not he can put it all together next season is really the question.
    Last edited by I don't care.; 01-12-2020 at 01:26 AM.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    26,993
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    What the Titans just did with Tannehill is exactly why you move on from Trubisky. Mariota sucked, he was benched and Tennessee has been one of the best teams in the NFL ever since.
    i disagree. what the titans have done with Tanahill proves you can win with Mitch. if you don't make him play Pat mahomes..... have an OL and Run game to lean on...... and a defense that can prevent oponents from outscoring you

    we already have one of those things. The OL and Running game..... and the need for Nagy to be pass happy could all changw and alwe see this team have success.


    ‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

    -Rem Koolhaas

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    If he was a 4th round pick nobody would care bc he wouldn't be given as many chances as he has/will.

    I'm kind of tired of the notion that he's shown great flashes so it warrants more chances/patience. Almost every QB does. Hell, David Blough made some big time plays last year. That's not what makes a QB great.
    And that's my point. He shouldn't have been drafted 2nd overall and to this day I wish Pace would have drafted Watson, but he didn't.

    Mitch will be the starting QB for the Bears next season, so get ready to see him again.

    Again, I really hope Pace signs a Vet and drafts a QB this spring. He will be hanging himself if he doesn't.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    i disagree. what the titans have done with Tanahill proves you can win with Mitch. if you don't make him play Pat mahomes..... have an OL and Run game to lean on...... and a defense that can prevent oponents from outscoring you

    we already have one of those things. The OL and Running game..... and the need for Nagy to be pass happy could all changw and alwe see this team have success.
    Exactly.

    It sucks that Pace gave up draft capital to move up to draft him, but that's just history now. The Bears need to win, set him up to succeed by using his strengths.

    Mitch has one more shot at being the starting QB. Nagy might as well do HIS best to win with him.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    827
    When Nagy went with the I formation, the offense was better, why in the world he went away from it is beyond me.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    827
    My best analogy for Mitch would be this:

    You buy a brand new car and expect to have it for years to come. But as soon as you have it, you start having issues with it. You can't afford to trade it in right now, so you have to deal with taking it to the dealership for repairs and once you're in a position to replace it, you do.

    If the car comes around before you can replace it, then maybe hang on to it.



    That's the best I can do.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    69,012
    Quote Originally Posted by I don't care. View Post
    And there was a time not long ago that nearly the entire NFL world considered Tannehill a bust and a terrible QB who couldn't read a defense.
    Tannehill's problem has been health, lack of talent, and Adam Gase.

    You might as well accept it, Mitch will be your QB next season.
    I mean, I expect him to be back. Have said that all along. Not bringing in legitimate competition is going to get Pace fired. He has to realize that. So, I'm not so sure he'll be the starter, but he'll still be on the roster, sure.

    Mitch had a terrible year and I wouldn't want to see Pace put his entire faith in him.
    Continuing to advocate for him doesn't make much sense then.

    I honestly don't believe that Mitch is or will be a "Franchise" QB, but I can see him being a game manager type. He protects the ball and he does have physical talent.
    He definitely isn't a franchise guy. There are very few examples of QB's suddenly becoming awesome after being mostly bad in their first 40 something starts.

    He protects the ball because he takes very few chances. I don't really think it's some impressive skill when his Completed Air Yards are under 6 yards for his career. Anyone can have a low INT% when they're throwing everything under 10 yards.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Because the arguments don't hold much weight. At a certain point you can only make so many excuses to justify his poor play.

    He's not the only QB with below average pass protection, receivers dropping balls, or questionable coaching.

    If you don't believe he's the biggest problem then I really question what you're seeing that gives you any hope.
    Maybe that's true. But our oline was not below average, it was atrocious. Any time the opposing team blitzed, they were in there right away. They would consistently beat us without blitzing and get pressure. They would completely stop the run no matter how many they stacked the box with. That forces passing, hence the reason Mitch was throwing 40-50 times in some of these games. He is not, and might never be, a QB to rely on throwing that much. Where did our drops rank among the NFL? I believe we were ranked third most, which a lot of them came on crucial third downs. There were also at least 5 times where Mitch threw a dime, and the receivers couldn't get both of their feet in. Now, I get that those happen throughout a year, but it seemed to be a lot this year that were just so close, and not the fault of the QB. Listen, Mitch did not have a good year but people keep acting like he has no potential. Or they keep saying he is not an NFL caliber player. He may just be a glorified back up in the future, he can still turn into a very good player. We just don't know. The one thing I do know, is he is not bad enough to be out of the league in 2 years (which I keep hearing, but might not be from this site) barring something catastrophic.

    To someone else who said that every QB has flashes, that's true. But Blough may have flashed on a couple plays, where Trubisky has had full games where he's been on (I agree, not enough of them). That Cowboys game was great, and he did something no QB has ever done before if I remember correctly. Plus the TB game last year. There have been a few others where he has been good too. My point is, its in there. He has potential, and limited experience in college changes his progression patterns from the "so called" normal three years and see. (Due to that inexperience, should he have been drafted number 2? Probably not. But he can still end up being a good qb). I'm not ready to give up on him completely when there were soooo many other things wrong with the offense. It's not about making excuses for him. How good of a job can you do in your field with a team that is horrible around you? You may be the smartest or most skilled person at your job, but if your boss and coworkers are idiots, you will be held back from your true potential. Take a guy who is raw and still learning, and surround him with crap and this is what you get. A guy who is inconsistent and has just as bad of lows as he has good highs.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    150
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that I do believe we should bring in competition. You never just want to keep handing things to players that struggle to reach their potential, no matter the possible reasons for not. However, I think LT, RT, RG, and TE need to be prioritized over that. Because even if we do waste this next year figuring out Trubs shouldn't be a starter, then we have pieces in place for our next QB if that's the case.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    69,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    i disagree. what the titans have done with Tanahill proves you can win with Mitch. if you don't make him play Pat mahomes..... have an OL and Run game to lean on...... and a defense that can prevent oponents from outscoring you

    we already have one of those things. The OL and Running game..... and the need for Nagy to be pass happy could all changw and alwe see this team have success.
    You're missing my point.

    When you know you have a sunk cost at QB (Mitch), you at least bring in competition. The Titans had one (Mariota) and traded very little (4th & 7th, got back a 6th) for Tannehill. When they decided it wasn't happening with Mariota, they moved on. You can easily argue that if they'd done it sooner then they'd have had a bye instead of playing on the road throughout the playoffs. That's how much better they've been. I'm not suggesting that exact scenario would play out here, but even average play at QB this year and the Bears are in the playoffs.

    The Titans have a great run game and a good defense. Their pass blocking was ranked 32nd in the league in Adjusted Sack rate. The Bears was ranked 20th. We need to stop forcing that excuse like it's the reason Mitch failed. Tennessee, Houston, Miami, Seattle, and Arizona all had worse pass protection and their QB's were all significantly better than Trubisky. It's just one of the many excuses the truthers like to make on his behalf.

    Also, while I realize Nagy has his faults, the way some trash him is absurd IMO. He can only do so much as a play caller when his QB is consistently inaccurate, scrambling into sacks, locking on to one receiver while ignoring wide open ones, and apparently too dumb to run the RPO.

    I feel like a broken record, but there's just very little to point to with Mitch and expect much more than what we've already seen, which is a bottom 5 QB. You can't win with that, not even if everything around him is perfect.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    You're missing my point.

    When you know you have a sunk cost at QB (Mitch), you at least bring in competition. The Titans had one (Mariota) and traded very little (4th & 7th, got back a 6th) for Tannehill. When they decided it wasn't happening with Mariota, they moved on. You can easily argue that if they'd done it sooner then they'd have had a bye instead of playing on the road throughout the playoffs. That's how much better they've been. I'm not suggesting that exact scenario would play out here, but even average play at QB this year and the Bears are in the playoffs.

    The Titans have a great run game and a good defense. Their pass blocking was ranked 32nd in the league in Adjusted Sack rate. The Bears was ranked 20th. We need to stop forcing that excuse like it's the reason Mitch failed. Tennessee, Houston, Miami, Seattle, and Arizona all had worse pass protection and their QB's were all significantly better than Trubisky. It's just one of the many excuses the truthers like to make on his behalf.

    Also, while I realize Nagy has his faults, the way some trash him is absurd IMO. He can only do so much as a play caller when his QB is consistently inaccurate, scrambling into sacks, locking on to one receiver while ignoring wide open ones, and apparently too dumb to run the RPO.

    I feel like a broken record, but there's just very little to point to with Mitch and expect much more than what we've already seen, which is a bottom 5 QB. You can't win with that, not even if everything around him is perfect.
    You keep saying that with average QB play, the Bears would have made the playoffs. How do you know that Mitch isn't an average QB? Everything around him failed. An average QB tends to look terrible when everything around them goes wrong. Mitch played average last year when things were better around him. Average QB's need help. If they get a lot of it, they can look good. If they get trash around them, they will look bad.

    Also, bad pass protection isn't all of it. It is also no running game. Those two combined lead to a sh** show. Then the dropped passes on top of it. When you have a run game, you can end up not be so predictable. Also, you are just looking at numbers, but there could be more factors to the story. How many defenders rushed the passer to get those sack rates? Were they on blitzes, were they being beat by defenses rushing the normal amount? All things need to be considered and not just the statistics, because we all know we can use stats to push whatever agenda, when framed in the right way.

    As far as you saying this is what he is, we saw better from him last year. He ran the RPO well last year, struggled this year. He didn't scramble into sacks last year (actually avoided a lot of would be sacks), he did at times this year. People act like he never goes through progressions. He does, but at times he stares down his receiver (Arob). Can that be due to the lack of offense around him, added pressure, overthinking, etc? I believe it can, and I believe it was. Again, the offense also became so predictable because the run game had failed for two years in a row and defenses adjusted.
    Last edited by cubsforlife; 01-12-2020 at 02:52 AM.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    69,012
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsforlife View Post
    Maybe that's true. But our oline was not below average, it was atrocious.
    The run blocking was. The pass blocking, while below average, was closer to middle of the pack than worst in the league.

    Any time the opposing team blitzed, they were in there right away. They would consistently beat us without blitzing and get pressure. They would completely stop the run no matter how many they stacked the box with.
    You ever wonder why they're stacking the box? Because nobody respected our QB. The run blocking sucked, but it's also easier to stop when your QB can't complete a pass outside of 10 yards.

    Where did our drops rank among the NFL? I believe we were ranked third most, which a lot of them came on crucial third downs.
    With Mitch starting, 6th. Drop % was 12th. Dak, Brady, Jimmy G all had the same or more drops from their receivers. They led the 2nd, 11th, and 7th offenses in the league.

    There were also at least 5 times where Mitch threw a dime, and the receivers couldn't get both of their feet in.
    Happens to every QB. There were at least twice as many times where he overthrew or didn't even see a wide open receiver. Neither of us can really prove either statement, but I'd put money on the latter.

    Listen, Mitch did not have a good year but people keep acting like he has no potential.
    His ceiling is a game manager. I think we have plenty of evidence to support that. You should always aim higher than a game manager.

    The one thing I do know, is he is not bad enough to be out of the league in 2 years (which I keep hearing, but might not be from this site) barring something catastrophic.
    I don't exactly agree with that, but that even being a discussion is pretty telling.

    To someone else who said that every QB has flashes, that's true. But Blough may have flashed on a couple plays, where Trubisky has had full games where he's been on (I agree, not enough of them). That Cowboys game was great, and he did something no QB has ever done before if I remember correctly. Plus the TB game last year. There have been a few others where he has been good too.
    A few games in 40 something starts is nowhere close to enough. As toovey already mentioned, every longtime starter has done that and more. The reason they stick for a long time is because they put together stretches of good play too. The gap between Trubisky's good and bad is massive.

    How good of a job can you do in your field with a team that is horrible around you?
    He has a top 10-15 receiver (ARob), another very good one in Miller, and I've already stated how the pass protection was serviceable enough. The defense was still top 10. Better QB's have done more with less.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    69,012
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsforlife View Post
    You keep saying that with average QB play, the Bears would have made the playoffs. How do you know that Mitch isn't an average QB? Everything around him failed. An average QB tends to look terrible when everything around them goes wrong. Mitch played average last year when things were better around him. Average QB's need help. If they get a lot of it, they can look good. If they get trash around them, they will look bad.

    Also, bad pass protection isn't all of it. It is also no running game. Those two combined lead to a sh** show. Then the dropped passes on top of it. When you have a run game, you can end up not be so predictable. Also, you are just looking at numbers, but there could be more factors to the story. How many defenders rushed the passer to get those sack rates? Were they on blitzes, were they being beat by defenses rushing the normal amount? All things need to be considered and not just the statistics, because we all know we can use stats to push whatever agenda, when framed in the right way.

    As far as you saying this is what he is, we saw better from him last year. He ran the RPO well last year, struggled this year. He didn't scramble into sacks last year (actually avoided a lot of would be sacks), he did at times this year. People act like he never goes through progressions. He does, but at times he stares down his receiver (Arob). Can that be due to the lack of offense around him, added pressure, overthinking, etc? I believe it can, and I believe it was. Again, the offense also became so predictable because the run game had failed for two years in a row and defenses adjusted.
    Look, I'm not going to respond to all of this again, but if your entire argument is that everything around him was trash then that's a weak argument, and one that's pretty easy to refute.

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •