Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 430 of 463 FirstFirst ... 330380420428429430431432440 ... LastLast
Results 6,436 to 6,450 of 6939
  1. #6436
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    70,086
    I guess that Bahamas quarantine didn't go well.

  2. #6437
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,815
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I think you inadvertently furthered my point.
    I don’t think I am making your point at all.

    1) NO does not think Winston is the guy of the future. No team thinks that. We know that because no one pursued him AT ALL. Winston is not “investing” in the QB position. It is simply signing a backup with experience because you have an old QB and not having a reasonable backup would be disastrous.

    2) My larger point was that NO is a perennially good team because their QB has carried them for over a decade. As soon as he is gone and Winston (or almost any other QB) takes over, NO will stop being a perennially good team. The team itself has often times been very mediocre, but Drew was able to carry them.

    Showing that NO signed Winston to try and prove that good teams are constantly investing in the QB position is laughable. Point to the Patriots constantly drafting guys. Or even GB, who has continued to take QBs in the draft while having Rodgers. Signing a failed starter as a backup is not a real strong case, especially when CHI has invested a fair amount in QB the last few years.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #6438
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,335
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Good news blams, Cutler is getting a divorce... he's back on the market!
    Such a sad day. He was hilarious on tv!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  4. #6439
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    26,257
    Love is dead to me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #6440
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,252
    Divorced or not, just get in the booth Jay.

  6. #6441
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,252

  7. #6442
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20,996
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Good news blams, Cutler is getting a divorce... he's back on the market!
    Blams is in the mirror trying to fix his quarantine hair no doubt.

    Honestly, with the lockdown, I’m sure the divorce rate is actually going to spike a bit.

  8. #6443
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I don’t think I am making your point at all.

    1) NO does not think Winston is the guy of the future. No team thinks that. We know that because no one pursued him AT ALL. Winston is not “investing” in the QB position. It is simply signing a backup with experience because you have an old QB and not having a reasonable backup would be disastrous.

    2) My larger point was that NO is a perennially good team because their QB has carried them for over a decade. As soon as he is gone and Winston (or almost any other QB) takes over, NO will stop being a perennially good team. The team itself has often times been very mediocre, but Drew was able to carry them.

    Showing that NO signed Winston to try and prove that good teams are constantly investing in the QB position is laughable. Point to the Patriots constantly drafting guys. Or even GB, who has continued to take QBs in the draft while having Rodgers. Signing a failed starter as a backup is not a real strong case, especially when CHI has invested a fair amount in QB the last few years.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1) You're first response directly contradicts your #1 here.
    “Another team with a HOF QB nearing the end of his career starting to look for his replacement, knowing it will take multiple tries more than likely. Wonder Why?”

    How do you know what NO thinks? Other teams did pursue him and offered him contracts, we know this because they said he took less to learn from Brees/Payton and return to the market next year. As you said, they are starting to get looks for his eventual replacement. Could be Winston if they like him this year.

    2) NO is a perennially good team not because solely Brees, but because Sean Payton. Brees had 1 good year before he went to NO and got with Payton. The offense and scheme is amazing, they haven't always even had the best weapons but Payton schemes open receivers. Brees is great now, but I have little doubt Payton will find a way to keep offense running (definitely not quite as efficiently Brees).


    Your last point makes no sense. I said, "Hmmm another perennially good team investing further in the QB position. Wonder why?" Notice the word another.

    Signing a former #1 pick who has shown enormous potential if he can get his turnovers under control is pretty smart. Despite his turnovers, they had the 3rd ranked scoring offense last year. See what they did with Bridgewater both helping him rebuild his career and winning?

    Winston is better than any QB we've had in like 40 years unless you want to argue Cutler. The Bears haven't invested a fair amount in the QB position the last few years what are you talking about? We've drafted 1 in the last 5 years. We've payed big money to a backup Chase who has no potential. We signed Mike Glennon as a bridge and everyone knew he wasn't good and wasn't a long term answer. We traded for Foles, who's had maybe a good 1.5 years of football in his 9 years career with 5 teams. Foles who is also not a long term answer. There was no one brought in with any potential besides Mitch since he was drafted. I think we drafted 3 during the Cutler years and not one stuck around for more than a year.

    Winston is 6 months older than Mitch. I would much rather have him on our roster, he has shown much more potential than Mitch.
    Last edited by ds637; 04-26-2020 at 05:04 PM.

  9. #6444
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Good news blams, Cutler is getting a divorce... he's back on the market!
    Last edited by I don't care.; 04-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.

  10. #6445
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,335
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    1) You're first response directly contradicts your #1 here.
    “Another team with a HOF QB nearing the end of his career starting to look for his replacement, knowing it will take multiple tries more than likely. Wonder Why?”

    How do you know what NO thinks? Other teams did pursue him and offered him contracts, we know this because they said he took less to learn from Brees/Payton and return to the market next year. As you said, they are starting to get looks for his eventual replacement. Could be Winston if they like him this year.

    2) NO is a perennially good team not because solely Brees, but because Sean Payton. Brees had 1 good year before he went to NO and got with Payton. The offense and scheme is amazing, they haven't always even had the best weapons but Payton schemes open receivers. Brees is great now, but I have little doubt Payton will find a way to keep offense running (definitely not quite as efficiently Brees).


    Your last point makes no sense. I said, "Hmmm another perennially good team investing further in the QB position. Wonder why?" Notice the word another.

    Signing a former #1 pick who has shown enormous potential if he can get his turnovers under control is pretty smart. Despite his turnovers, they had the 3rd ranked scoring offense last year. See what they did with Bridgewater both helping him rebuild his career and winning?

    Winston is better than any QB we've had in like 40 years unless you want to argue Cutler. The Bears haven't invested a fair amount in the QB position the last few years what are you talking about? We've drafted 1 in the last 5 years. We've payed big money to a backup Chase who has no potential. We signed Mike Glennon as a bridge and everyone knew he wasn't good and wasn't a long term answer. We traded for Foles, who's had maybe a good 1.5 years of football in his 9 years career with 5 teams. Foles who is also not a long term answer. There was no one brought in with any potential besides Mitch since he was drafted. I think we drafted 3 during the Cutler years and not one stuck around for more than a year.

    Winston is 6 months older than Mitch. I would much rather have him on our roster, he has shown much more potential than Mitch.
    Completely agree that its worth rostering Winston over Mitch. His potential is sky high. At least he can carry your team to a win here and there.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  11. #6446
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    70,086

  12. #6447
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,815
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Completely agree that its worth rostering Winston over Mitch. His potential is sky high. At least he can carry your team to a win here and there.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I am sorry, but that is a laughable proposition. Saying Winston has “sky high potential” is simply not true. For all the hate Mitch gets, Winston has never posted a season with a higher QBR than Mitch (70.7 v 69.7) or rating (95.4 v 92.2). Winston is also older and has far more starts between college and pros than Mitch does. Mitch completes a higher rate of passes and has a notably lower INT rate. Even their 4QC and game winning drive averages per game played is comparable. About the only areas Winston is noticeably better at is TD%, yds per comp and Yds per game - which are in part attributable to scheme and/or team need.

    And to be clear, that is not a defense of Mitch. Rather, if you think anything about Winston screams “sky high potential” at this point in his career I have no idea what you are basing that on. Winston has been mediocre (at best) for 5 years. If people think Mitch can’t get any better after 3 years, then Winston has no hope of progressing after 5 years. At his best, he has provided the same value as Mitch did in 2018, which no one on this forum seems happy with. He may be better than Mitch, but even that is debatable. Winston has some great tools, but if he hasn’t figured it out in 70 starts, what makes you think he will magically put it together now?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #6448
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,815
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    1) You're first response directly contradicts your #1 here.
    “Another team with a HOF QB nearing the end of his career starting to look for his replacement, knowing it will take multiple tries more than likely. Wonder Why?”

    How do you know what NO thinks? Other teams did pursue him and offered him contracts, we know this because they said he took less to learn from Brees/Payton and return to the market next year. As you said, they are starting to get looks for his eventual replacement. Could be Winston if they like him this year.

    2) NO is a perennially good team not because solely Brees, but because Sean Payton. Brees had 1 good year before he went to NO and got with Payton. The offense and scheme is amazing, they haven't always even had the best weapons but Payton schemes open receivers. Brees is great now, but I have little doubt Payton will find a way to keep offense running (definitely not quite as efficiently Brees).


    Your last point makes no sense. I said, "Hmmm another perennially good team investing further in the QB position. Wonder why?" Notice the word another.

    Signing a former #1 pick who has shown enormous potential if he can get his turnovers under control is pretty smart. Despite his turnovers, they had the 3rd ranked scoring offense last year. See what they did with Bridgewater both helping him rebuild his career and winning?

    Winston is better than any QB we've had in like 40 years unless you want to argue Cutler. The Bears haven't invested a fair amount in the QB position the last few years what are you talking about? We've drafted 1 in the last 5 years. We've payed big money to a backup Chase who has no potential. We signed Mike Glennon as a bridge and everyone knew he wasn't good and wasn't a long term answer. We traded for Foles, who's had maybe a good 1.5 years of football in his 9 years career with 5 teams. Foles who is also not a long term answer. There was no one brought in with any potential besides Mitch since he was drafted. I think we drafted 3 during the Cutler years and not one stuck around for more than a year.

    Winston is 6 months older than Mitch. I would much rather have him on our roster, he has shown much more potential than Mitch.
    We will never know if Payton or Brees is the driving force. Or if it is equal. I use to think Payton was very overrated, but I think that less and less as time goes on. I would imagine we can both agree that NO will most likely be a lesser team when Brees retires or we will both agree that Payton is the driving force if they don’t.

    Hindsight is 20-20 and it is easy to poo-poo the effort Pace has made when you look back on it. You can say what you want about Glennon, but he was the #1 FA QB that year. Mitch was the #2 overall pick and Pace traded up to get his guy. Now Pace trades a mid-round pick to get Foles and takes on his salary to do it. So in 4 offseasons Pace has made moves for 3 different starting QB options. Plus, the last 1 or 2 offseasons prior to this year all the resources were put into helping Mitch, not replacing him. When you draft a guy #2 overall, you aren’t going to spend a lot more picks on QBs the next few years. It has been obvious that CHI needing a better starting QB twice and Pace has addressed it that offseason both times.

    You can make a pretty great argument that none of the options worked out (or will). But when a GM/team invests resources 3 times in 4 years to get a starting QB, I think that is being pretty aggressive. Signing backups and drafting guys late are not really “investing” in a meaningful way (hence why I don’t talk about Chase).

    I get your point and probably agree with it more than you think. But citing a team like NO winning with a HOF QB and how they signed a good backup or two is what makes them good is untrue in my opinion. I think Winston is a great backup and Payton will probably help him. But NO isn’t investing in Winston or the QB position year-in and year-out to make their team good.They invest in Brees to make their team good every year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #6449
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,168
    Saints signed Drew Brees as a FA, lol. Nothing about drafting or signing a prospect QB had ANYTHING to do with their success. Drew Brees was already good! Their QB situation has not historically been great.

  15. #6450
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I am sorry, but that is a laughable proposition. Saying Winston has “sky high potential” is simply not true. For all the hate Mitch gets, Winston has never posted a season with a higher QBR than Mitch (70.7 v 69.7) or rating (95.4 v 92.2). Winston is also older and has far more starts between college and pros than Mitch does. Mitch completes a higher rate of passes and has a notably lower INT rate. Even their 4QC and game winning drive averages per game played is comparable. About the only areas Winston is noticeably better at is TD%, yds per comp and Yds per game - which are in part attributable to scheme and/or team need.

    And to be clear, that is not a defense of Mitch. Rather, if you think anything about Winston screams “sky high potential” at this point in his career I have no idea what you are basing that on. Winston has been mediocre (at best) for 5 years. If people think Mitch can’t get any better after 3 years, then Winston has no hope of progressing after 5 years. At his best, he has provided the same value as Mitch did in 2018, which no one on this forum seems happy with. He may be better than Mitch, but even that is debatable. Winston has some great tools, but if he hasn’t figured it out in 70 starts, what makes you think he will magically put it together now?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand your skepticism. But Winston put up prolific passing numbers any way you slice it. Even interceptions lol

    He's a playmaker


    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •