Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Foward

Moving Foward

As the season has come to a disappointing end what are your thoughts on next year? With McDaniels likely gone and Brady a free agent, what are your hopes for the team going forward? What do you guys wanna see happen as far as signings, trades, the draft etc......Who do think stays and who do you think goes, who are some of the guys you think are a must that we retain? Let’s hear it.

Brady comes back for 2 more years, we get some offensive firepower, he wins another Superbowl... rides off into the sunset. 7 Championships and I don't care if they're basement dwellers for the next 10 years.

We lost our ST coach, Bills going to NY next, Brady signing with Tenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gormans Mic View Post
    We lost our ST coach, Bills going to NY next, Brady signing with Tenn.
    Nah......They all aren’t gonna do RK dirty like that. I could see a split with BB & Brady, but if one goes then the other stays.

Brady back on a 1/1 deal.

Van noy will get overpaid...gone.

McCourty will be back as Jason is signed for one more year.

Newhouse can find a new house.

Ebner and Roberts seem like guys that will take less to stay.

TE in free agency...Here's looking at you, Henry.

Target line help and WR in the draft, roll your dice trying to go after someone like AJ Green that's probably in the same window as the rest of our vets.

Harry was a first rounder so I assume he stays with Edelman and Sanu returning vets,let Dorsett go maybe draft Jalen Reagor for speed and route running.Please find a TE with SOME catching skills.In the draft restock the o-line with compensatory picks,take some chances on interesting interior guys.Have to find edge help maye in the first two rounds.Meyers is a question,if TB12 is back and not gonna target the guy there is not much sense in keeping him.Van Noy and Collins might have to be replaced.

Meyers hasnt played WR for very long, and makes contested catches. Obviously needs better routes and separation, however I think he's worth holding on to for cheap.

Van Noy and Collins are definitely going to get offers higher than what we offer, but both would be welcome back as well.

Regardless of who the qb is the offensive line needs to get it's act in order.Losing Scarnecchia is dramatic,the way the line played this year just wasn't up to the job.

I think I’m ready to move on from Tom (not completely sold).......Bring in Mariota or another vet...Draft Ruggs at 23, move into Rnd 2 and snag Love or Eason, use the rest of the picks on whatever. Make a push at Emmanuel Sanders, Anderson, or even Cobb (get one of them). Trade for a TE (Howard or Rudolph), and throw the money we save off the TB contract at fixing the lines on both sides of the ball....eventually gonna have to get younger in the secondary

Eason is not a bad idea,he has tools and might work out.Never been too high on Mariota,it seemed his mobility coming out of college was his strong suit otherwise very average.Moving on from TB shouldn't be all that frightening to any of us,knowing that as time goes by it becomes more and more inevitable.If indeed BOTH lines could be fixed that would really be an impressive off season!

Get involved guys, there’s no sports right now.......LETS TALK!!!

Well our possible future starting qb is hoyer...yay

I’d roll with Stidham. Hoyer the backup. Take a late round flier to compete with Kessler. We are in desperate need of young talent across the board. Let’s see if Stidham is the guy before we use a premium asset on another QB. Worst case scenario is he flops which likely means you’re in better position next year to get a QB. Obviously that’s subject to change depending on if they love one of the QBs this year.

Pursuing an extension with Thuney would be a good move. It’d lower his cap number and alleviate some of that pressure this year and lock in a solid foundation unit. Between him, Wynn, Mason and Andrews we could have 4/5 of a good OL locked in for a few years. That’s a good foundation to build on.

I would also pursue extensions for Gilmore and Hightower. That will get us more cap wiggle room this year and I view both as leaders we want in place for a few more years. And both still play at a high level.

As of now projections have us at about $100M in cap space next year. The 3 extensions above would eat into that but we’d probably still have anywhere from $65M-75M. That gives us the ability next year to really pursue high end talent the way we did a few years ago when we got Gilmore and Cooks.

In the meantime, you’d have to use this year as a “transition” year. First and foremost, you need to have a gold draft - need to add young talent into the pipeline. You also need to focus on the development of young players already in place... Wynn needs to continue to grow as our LT. Harry (and ideally Meyers too) need to grow as receivers. Our two young OL that missed their rookie years need to progress, with one of them ideally taking Cannon’s RT spot. Sony Michel needs to get back to the potential he showed as a rookie. A guy like Ja’Whaun Bentley has a chance to take on a larger role now. Chase Winovich as well. JC Jackson could very well grow into a #1 corner.

Additionally, we could looks to add some younger FAs. For example, we moved on from Harmon to a younger player in Adrian Phillips. We could do that again at safety. Demarious Randall is a young FS type with some SS skills. He’s younger than Chung and should be reasonably priced. Could be a chance to move on from a guy who’s likely gonna be washed up in a year or two to someone with a longer shelf life.

Darron Lee was a 1st rounder of the Jets and STer for the Chiefs last year. Could be a reclamation project to throw into the LB mix and maybe you can do a 2 year deal to lock in some upside.

FA market is pretty picked over but maybe BB can find some gems and good fits. Add them on multi year, modest deals so they improve our talent base going forward without hurting next years flexibility.

You take your lumps this year, compete as best you can, evaluate the QB position and then reassess next year.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I’d roll with Stidham. Hoyer the backup. Take a late round flier to compete with Kessler. We are in desperate need of young talent across the board. Let’s see if Stidham is the guy before we use a premium asset on another QB. Worst case scenario is he flops which likely means you’re in better position next year to get a QB. Obviously that’s subject to change depending on if they love one of the QBs this year.

Pursuing an extension with Thuney would be a good move. It’d lower his cap number and alleviate some of that pressure this year and lock in a solid foundation unit. Between him, Wynn, Mason and Andrews we could have 4/5 of a good OL locked in for a few years. That’s a good foundation to build on.

I would also pursue extensions for Gilmore and Hightower. That will get us more cap wiggle room this year and I view both as leaders we want in place for a few more years. And both still play at a high level.

As of now projections have us at about $100M in cap space next year. The 3 extensions above would eat into that but we’d probably still have anywhere from $65M-75M. That gives us the ability next year to really pursue high end talent the way we did a few years ago when we got Gilmore and Cooks.

In the meantime, you’d have to use this year as a “transition” year. First and foremost, you need to have a gold draft - need to add young talent into the pipeline. You also need to focus on the development of young players already in place... Wynn needs to continue to grow as our LT. Harry (and ideally Meyers too) need to grow as receivers. Our two young OL that missed their rookie years need to progress, with one of them ideally taking Cannon’s RT spot. Sony Michel needs to get back to the potential he showed as a rookie. A guy like Ja’Whaun Bentley has a chance to take on a larger role now. Chase Winovich as well. JC Jackson could very well grow into a #1 corner.

Additionally, we could looks to add some younger FAs. For example, we moved on from Harmon to a younger player in Adrian Phillips. We could do that again at safety. Demarious Randall is a young FS type with some SS skills. He’s younger than Chung and should be reasonably priced. Could be a chance to move on from a guy who’s likely gonna be washed up in a year or two to someone with a longer shelf life.

Darron Lee was a 1st rounder of the Jets and STer for the Chiefs last year. Could be a reclamation project to throw into the LB mix and maybe you can do a 2 year deal to lock in some upside.

FA market is pretty picked over but maybe BB can find some gems and good fits. Add them on multi year, modest deals so they improve our talent base going forward without hurting next years flexibility.

You take your lumps this year, compete as best you can, evaluate the QB position and then reassess next year.
    Good post.......What would you do with pick 23, use it or trade back? If we do use it, what direction do you think we go? I don’t see Bill going WR again in the first rnd, I think he’d trade for an established one before that. Although I wouldn’t mind Ruggs or Higgins if they were there (Jeudy & Lamb will be gone), I think the best bet is to go with a LB, DL or an edge rusher. Some guys that could be interesting are Kinlaw, Chaisson, Queen, Gross-Matos and Kenneth Murray. But knowing Bill, names we’re more likely to hear are Delpit or McKinney.

I’m good with rolling with Stidham and I think Hoyer & Kessler will put the pressure on in camp and he will earn the role.... I got a feeling Stiddy is gonna be alright.

There’s talks of us possibly moving Gilmore, which I really don’t like but I don’t put anything past Bill. I agree with you on extending him and getting a deal done with Thuney now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    Good post.......What would you do with pick 23, use it or trade back? If we do use it, what direction do you think we go? I don’t see Bill going WR again in the first rnd, I think he’d trade for an established one before that. Although I wouldn’t mind Ruggs or Higgins if they were there (Jeudy & Lamb will be gone), I think the best bet is to go with a LB, DL or an edge rusher. Some guys that could be interesting are Kinlaw, Chaisson, Queen, Gross-Matos and Kenneth Murray. But knowing Bill, names we’re more likely to hear are Delpit or McKinney.
    I expect a lot of movement in this draft. We have a lot of back end picks. Which allows Bill to pinpoint his guys and a move up and down the draft board. Also expect a couple of trades moving picks to next year. With the draft workouts limited this is even more important. Bill won't get to be up and close with these guys...Expect him to defer to next year and the guys he is comfortable with - he'll target and pick them by moving around. I think he'll come out of this draft with only 6-7 selections.

I’m good with rolling with Stidham and I think Hoyer & Kessler will put the pressure on in camp and he will earn the role.... I got a feeling Stiddy is gonna be alright.
    Yeah, roll with Stidham. See what he has. Hoyer and Kessler likely make the 53 as well with a late round developmental guy for the PS.

There’s talks of us possibly moving Gilmore, which I really don’t like but I don’t put anything past Bill. I agree with you on extending him and getting a deal done with Thuney now though.
    I have no doubt Bill is shopping Gilmore and Thuney. If he gets value for them, they'll be gone. If nobody offers what he wants, I think he'll extend them both to save some cap room.

City of Champions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast